Players you thought were going to be guns but ended up being duds...

Remove this Banner Ad

Richard Tambling

Hate to say it but the jury is really watching this year to see if he is a perfect candidate for this thread. Big year for him.

McCarthy won people over in the end with his comeback but without that he would have been considered a monumental dissapointment given his reputation coming into football. Salvaged a fair bit at the Roos but Collingwood and Adelaide had thier hopes dashed.

Maybe achieved something more in the end than fullfilling talent over his career.

Every player drafted by Collingwood from about '93 right through to 2004 with very few exceptions.

Remember Dermott Brereton saying that Aaron James would be the next Wayne Carey. You must have got hard over that.

Shaw liked the players who were in his mould. blokes who would give thier all without the talent spewing out of them.

Guys like Luke Godden,Jason Wilde and Chad Liddell.

You can add Terry Keayes to the list while on the subject of Collingwood and Numero Uno 'Bayliss' who announced with beer in hand that he would be the new Collingwood gun forward, but you knew a club that seemed happy to take your Rubbish.:eek:

Surprised no one has mentioned Des Headland yet. Number 1 draft pick, slow start, but started to really dominate when the Lions were at their best. I thought that the move to Freo would release him and he'd win a few Brownlows. Alas....nothing. Very disappointing.
Headland has underachieved but he is no dud

Surprised no one has mentioned Des Headland yet. Number 1 draft pick, slow start, but started to really dominate when the Lions were at their best. I thought that the move to Freo would release him and he'd win a few Brownlows. Alas....nothing. Very disappointing.

Agree :thumbsu:

Why would the move to Freo "release" him :confused:

He's as good a down hill skier as there is in the AFL (almost as good as Travis Johnstone)....and with the likes of Voss, Black, Lappin, Power, Hart, Akermanis & B.Scott feeding him the ball he was made to look better that he actually is. I think I could've got a few touches with that midfield doing the hard yards for me :eek:

Overall -

Thought Chris Hall was gonna be a gun. I remember the first time I saw him at Port training when he was rookied, I thought it was the second coming of Roger James. Big well built body, could hoof the ball 55+, great inside ability and was a regular 20+ disposal a game midfielder in the SANFL for South Adelaide as a 19 year old. Whilst he stayed that consistent 20+ disposal SANFL player, he never really got much of a go in a super Port midfield that was in the top couple in the AFL at the time. Only played 3 games with minimal impact and suffered some injury issues. Now playing for Subi I think.

Another vote for Bowen as well. I was sold when I saw him pull down a contested mark in the goalsquare against 3 opponents in the first ever Power game at Alberton against Richmond. Was my favourite player. Kicked 4 goals in his 2nd AFL game. Played some great games but suffered some injuries and couldnt get a regular run of games going. Then he ****ed his back and it was pretty much career over. Still managed 40 goals for Centrals in 01 after his back injury. As has been mentioned, he cant sit down for any length of time without being in pain. I remember seeing an interview with him and he said when he goes to the movies he has to bring a pillow and lay on the floor in the front row because he cant sit down for that long.

I know how that feels :mad:

Jordan Russell is heading down the spud path and quickly.

anyone remember anthony tranquilli who played for collingwood?

i think his first name was anthony. he cut us up in one game in 1994 and thats all i remember

honourable mentions for WCE

Travis Gaspar- injury prone though
andrew McDougall as someone mentioned b4
Shane bond
Micheal Gardiner- after 2003 it looked like he was going to be a champion...until he...well do i really have to explain
Ian Downsbourah

It was Andrew.
Kicked 8 in a game once.

His old man was a school teacher of mine and a few years later after I had completed school, we ran into each other and came across the subject of Damian...he told me that sport, literally any sport he participated in he was naturally good at and never had to bother to put in hard work to make top level teams, his old man reckons he was just as good as cricket.

Shame really.

We went to the same school mate. He (Cupido's old man) was a funny bloke but a shit teacher, not that i cared much. Might sound harsh but it just seemed as Damien was growing up it didnt seem like his old man would have been the best bloke to get advice from which may have lead to his attitude problems or maybe it was something completely different. Just an observation.

From Carlton: Always thought James Cook would be an absolute gun. And Angwin and Norman were both destined for good, if not great things. Shame about Cook, the other two, well...

From other sides: Aside from the obvious ones like Cupido, I thought David Spriggs and Farren Ray were two players who would really kick on. Oops...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett Spinks. Came out and kicked like 4 on debut and looked like a big angry forward. Did nothing after that.

Going back a long way - Warren Ralph came to Carlton from Claremont after kicking 100 goals a season three years in a row.
Kicked 11 on debut against Nth but ended up with only 55 goals in 13 games in his first year.
Never lived up to his reputation.

Any player drafted in the top 40, quite frankly.

Ah, the old Collingwood mentality; "we are so good and find all the late pick talent and don't ever have any early draft picks, or use them. We are just that good" ... Get ya hand off it mate, ever heard of Judd, Hodge, Riewoldt .. All "top 40" and hardly dud's .. i could go on, but you see my point. I can't stand the mentality of people like you.

Anyways....

John Georgio - was the 2nd coming of something, and ended up being the 2nd coming of nothing.

Justin Koschitzke will end up the poster boy for this category if this year doesn't become a brilliant one. You could argue he is in the category already, but i'm living in hope... lol

Ben Marsh, good debut, 98 premiership player then he did his and went downhill sharply, why richmond took him i dont know!

Lance Whitnall, not really a dud but didnt become the player he could/should have.

Andrew Krakouer, all the hype surrounding his debut showed the odd glimpse but never lived up to the hype.

Clive Waterhouse, suprised nobody has mentioned him, had huge wraps but injury and lack of confidence shot him down.

From Carlton: Always thought James Cook would be an absolute gun. And Angwin and Norman were both destined for good, if not great things. Shame about Cook, the other two, well...

why count Angwin? he was already on a slippery slope by the time you got him. he was damaged, albeit very talented goods when you got him.

if he were going to achieve his potential he'd have never been on your list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Players you thought were going to be guns but ended up being duds...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back