Players you will tell your kids about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Cousins. Without a doubt the most interesting player I have ever seen, on field and off, completely individual and unique.

Take away the drug saga (and the way it changed how he acted and how people viewed him), and what was interesting or unique about him? He was just another very talented, hard working vanilla midfielder before those revelations made him into a notorious "character of the game".

Daicos, Daicos, Daicos. Booted 549 goals from 250 games, half of those games he was a midfielder. 76 goals in 1981 as a 19 y old kid. 13 goals at Carrara against Brisbane. Booted 7 goals against Carlton x 3 times, including the 1984 1st semi. A bag of 9 against reigning premier Richmond as a 19 y old in 1981. Has a highlights reel in front of the big sticks no player could match. Had a glorious right boot and his left was nearly its equal. Won so many games for the club that were in doubt during tight last quarters. The genius, the legend!

Kouta at his best was unstoppable. He changed the modern game more than any other player.

Greg Williams - was a ball magnet, seemed to always have lots of time when he had the ball

SOS - full back of the century who could go forward and take spekkies.

Ken Hunter - most courageous player I have ever seen.

Bruce Doull - humble champion

Boustow - could do the amazing

Peter Motley - would have been one of the all time greats if it wasn't for that accident.

Judd - the best all round player.

Plugger - Unstoppable and unpredictable!

Dunstall - Goal Kicking Machine

Capper - human highlight reel. That goal he kicked from 50 for Bears in 89.....:(

Ablett Snr, Hird, Buckley, Voss - all good players but never saw them do anything special when I was at the ground.

Take away the drug saga (and the way it changed how he acted and how people viewed him), and what was interesting or unique about him? He was just another very talented, hard working vanilla midfielder before those revelations made him into a notorious "character of the game".
He was far from run of the mill. His running style to his kicking style, everything was unique. His work ethic alone is enough to tell my kids about. He was always different to the other footballers.

Franklin, Hodge, Crawford & Rioli from Hawthorn.

Judd, Ablett Jnr, Bartel, Hird, Buckly, Voss, Swan, Akermanis, Brown, Cousins, Goodes, Scarlett, Lake, Fletcher, Tredrea from other clubs. Apologies to about 20 other players I have missed out on

Will do this for the last 20 years, wouldn't want to mix up 80's footy with now, will include the 90's though.

From Essendon:

- James Hird. Never seen someone command a game of football like him.

- Old Man Fletch.

- Mercuri and Misiti. Dynamite from my childhood.

- Lloyd. The Velvet Sledgehammer.

From others...

- Chris Judd. Alongside Hird, can and regularly does single handedly dictate the outcome of a game.

- Gary Ablett Snr. Live, you'd see him in the goalsquare, and that was GARY ABLETT you were seeing. Larger than life, incredible aura.

- Plugger. So much strength.

- Buddy Franklin. I've ragged on the guy and his team for eons because of personal differences, but the fact is, that match he played against Essendon last year was a breathtaking performance.

- Robert Harvey. The running man.

- Wayne Carey/Kouta. Muscle and skill.

For all the young ones Gary Ablett snr by a fair margin. Had it all Strength, Pace,Could kick 60 metres both feet and that leap he had was one of a kind.
The only footballer that had supporters of both teams follow him from end to end.

From 1984 to 1992 kicked 577 goals from 161 games playing wing/Half forward.

Moved to Full Forward in 1993
1993 at the age of 31 and Kicks 124 goals in 17 games.(bringing up the ton in round 14).
1994 Age 32 kicks 129 from 25 games
1995 Age 33 kicks 122 from 22 games
1996 age 34 kicks 69 from 17 games does his knee and retires from the game following year.

Career Goals 1030

If he had played full forward in his prime years he would have smashed the all time career goal kicking record.

Ive seen some awesome players come and go but none have had the all round skills of Ablett snr. A one in a million footballer.

He was far from run of the mill. His running style to his kicking style, everything was unique. His work ethic alone is enough to tell my kids about. He was always different to the other footballers.

Yea, nah, he really just seemed like any other hardworking superstar midfielder before the drugs saga. Maybe things were different for you observing him while living in Perth though, where more of his "personality" was on show on a regular basis. Even then, he's hardly the first footy player to overindulge in the party lifestyle off the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Players you will tell your kids about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back