Playing matches in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't be bothered tracking down the meme but... Why can't we have both?

I have little doubt that the AFL will buy Etihad now...it's in their best interests to allow the weaker clubs to self support so the actual game (or product as they'd called it) is more competitive & exciting.

As for NZ, well if we can run a similar program to the Hawks/Tassie deal then we should jump at it.

Exciting times to come...

Elite base at Moorabbin
Exciting young team
VFL team playing in RWB & out of Linton St
4 games in Auckland (2 home, 2 away) generating very good income
Making good $$$ from new AFL owned Etihad Stadium
Lenny returns as Assistant Coach in 2018 for Flag run!

Was the away games in nz a typo?
Surely you meant two home and two away in tassie

Sorry guys just saw I was tagged in this thread. Yep Western Springs was the location I was on about, the issue with Eden Park as we saw during the cricket is that it is obviously too small for our great game. Best part about the stadium development is obviously we'd contribute $0 but get a very beneficial financial deal to play there.

Obviously still in the works but would make a lot of sense off field to be honest.

Pretty keen for this to happen. 2-4 games a year in New Zealand will be great. If we can also get the AFL to sponsor a New Zealand academy there will seal the deal imo.

We wont get or even need draft benefits like the northern states. Just having access to young kids to get them interested would help get people to the games. Should also mean the AFL/New Zealand will help us do at least a significant part of our preseason over there, during which the players would interact with the kids in the academy. Should lead to a pretty big, and much needed, cash grab for the club. Would also make us much more appealing to potential sponsors - could you imagine having an academy over there with a brand name slapped all over it?

I see it as a massive win for us, AFL and New Zealand.

we know NZ can produce footballers, Savage has been a very polished player for us. There are a lot of expats there and we need to appeal to them for the entire AFL experience, not just for SKFC. I live in Tasmania and wouldn't cross the road to watch Hawthorn or North, but I would go if it was more universal experienc. Teh Home Ground feel that is being created is terrible for visiting fans, so if you want to encourage a crowd, talk up the opposition as well.

Let's move all of our home games to n.z
We can be 100% backed by the afl and nz tourism .
We will be one of the richest clubs in the afl .
Imagine being super financially successful .
We could all go the agm and cheer the board once a year .
I would be so happy for the people of nz to have a novelty afl side over there in case they want to enjoy some aussie culture .

If they don't build the stadium with a roof then there will always be adaption problems between our Melbourne home games and our NZ home games.

Discounting games against GWS or Melbourne or games in Queensland, we have not won outdoors since Ross Lyon was coach.

ST KILDA has approached Christchurch to host an AFL game next season after its contract with Wellington lapsed.

The New Zealand capital has hosted games on Anzac Day for the past three seasons, but the annual fixture has failed capture the imagination of locals.

Still determined to pursue New Zealand as a secondary market,AFL.com.au has confirmed St Kilda has now approached Christchurch, the major city of the country's South Island.

"Christchurch City Council is always looking for opportunities to bring new and exciting events to the city," Christchurch City Council's Richard Attwood said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-...m=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

Wellington is over then, which is disappointing only because Wellington is a wonderful place.

Auckland is not so much... but the majority of the NZ population lives there. That's where the potential is.

Won't be a game there next year. Expect an email tonight. Apparently the stadium won't be ready until the 2017 season
The article on the AFL website sounds like our contract with Wellington is over. What does this mean if not Christchurch either then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL is determined to make things work in NZ, I'm just happy we will have 12 months off, nowhere near enough heads in Wellington.

Auckland should be brilliant if we commit over a 5-10 year period, gives a chance to build from the ground up.

I think we're going back to NZ, just not to Wellington. The club and the city had competing objectives - the club wanted NZ members, Wellington wanted visitors from outside NZ. Auckland is much more attractive as far as St Kilda is concerned, its just up to us to make it attractive to Auckland.

Think also starting in NZ when we are majorly in a rebuild isn't exactly brilliant for attracting potential members to the club.

By 2017 you'd expect that we'd be competitive and playing finals or close to it, much better time to attract new fans.

I saw the population of Christchurch is only 350 thousand.
Probably similar to Ballarat or Bendigo but with a much smaller % of people into afl.
If it's true that weve approached christchurch (nz's earthquake capital) it's embarrassing really.

Last edited:
If they don't build the stadium with a roof then there will always be adaption problems between our Melbourne home games and our NZ home games.

Discounting games against GWS or Melbourne or games in Queensland, we have not won outdoors since Ross Lyon was coach.
LOL
thats like someone saying " besides from Sarah, Tracy and Janine im still a virgin":p

But i get your point:thumbsu: We have to improve away from Etihad.

I saw the population of Christchurch is only 350 thousand.
Probably similar to Ballarat or Bendigo but with a much smaller % of people into afl.
If it's true that weve approached christchurch (nz's earthquake capital) it's embarrassing really.

Ballarat and Bendigo have populations of only about 100,000. Canberra is a much more apt comparison for Christchurch.

I think we're going back to NZ, just not to Wellington. The club and the city had competing objectives - the club wanted NZ members, Wellington wanted visitors from outside NZ. Auckland is much more attractive as far as St Kilda is concerned, its just up to us to make it attractive to Auckland.
I think Wellington council had visions of hordes of Aussies coming over to fill their hotels, eat at their restaurants etc. The numbers just didn't match their (perhaps unrealistic) expectations.

I made the trip in 2013 and hotel rooms were scarce. But Brisbane and Carlton were not going fantastically when we played them there and perhaps the novelty wore off for some Saints fans. I was looking forward to going back one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing matches in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back