PS3 Playstation 3 News(Articles, Accessories, and Everything else) - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Playstation 3 News(Articles, Accessories, and something else) III

Was bound to happen sooner or later, nothing can't be hacked in time. Does PSN force updates? If it doesn't I bet it will soon.
About 90% are generally forced updates. The one's that aren't are the one's Sony deems to not be as needed for things like developers and the general consumer.

Generally the updates that bring the least physically seen things (as some complain about "why can't they be un-needed updates" etc.) are things that helps out developers with unlocking things like extra RAM, streamlining access to something or what not.

If the local cost of games was more in line with the US, many people would not bother pirating. We pay nearly double the amount other countries do. Paying ~120 for a new release game when the US pay 50-60 bucks is ****ing criminal. And to say it is because of where we are situated is ludicrous.

If the local cost of games was more in line with the US, many people would not bother pirating. We pay nearly double the amount other countries do. Paying ~120 for a new release game when the US pay 50-60 bucks is ****ing criminal. And to say it is because of where we are situated is ludicrous.

Bull shit. Even if our prices were similar to the US, the same people would still pirate

The price of games has nothing to do where we are located, it has all to do with the fact that we only have a population of 21 million, compared to over 250 million in the US. We are such a pin prick in an ocean, its not funny. They have to charge more to make up the costs due to lower possible top sales

Fact is, our top level sales are capped due to our population

It's mostly because of the taxes, specifically value added taxes like the GST. Although that alone doesn't jack up the price another $40. Might even have something to do with importing as well.

Bull shit. Even if our prices were similar to the US, the same people would still pirate

The price of games has nothing to do where we are located, it has all to do with the fact that we only have a population of 21 million, compared to over 250 million in the US. We are such a pin prick in an ocean, its not funny. They have to charge more to make up the costs due to lower possible top sales

Fact is, our top level sales are capped due to our population

Or this :).

Uhh yeah.. I pirate things I can't afford so he has a point. I'd have no worries buying games/programs (word etc) if they were in my price range -_-

Having the distribution sourced from O/S, would it make a difference? The reason books are so expensive in Australia is because they're printed here by the local publishers.

Ordered :)

Now to see how long until it's unusable :(

Agree with Glenno. Nobody would start properly buying games if the price comparison was cheaper...because in reality you can actually find a majority of titles for that fair price if you just look around.

People pirate either A) Because they are lazy B) They want EVERY game rather than the select few that they can buy or C) They are poor so renting (or EB take back policy) is easier than buying.

I was in the 'C' boat back in the PS2 days. Didn't have a whole lot of money so I would rent a game from Blockbuster, burn it and return it. for maximum profit. Back then though pirating didn't hurt developers anywhere near as much as it can now. It was more ok back then when the margin for profit was way less than it is now (where the average return needed for profit is around $20 million). That's why I will continue to support the industry by buying every title I can and I won't be pirating, as much as it would be a cheaper option for someone who doesn't have the worlds worth of money.
It's mostly because of the taxes, specifically value added taxes like the GST. Although that alone doesn't jack up the price another $40. Might even have something to do with importing as well.
At worst, tax is like $5. Certainly not the reason why titles are more expensive here. I tell you what though, it certainly adds to buyer frustration. "Oh look, that title is only $20" *Takes it to counter* "That'll be $25 thanks", ****en lazy ***** can't add tax on their price tags.:mad:
Uhh yeah.. I pirate things I can't afford so he has a point. I'd have no worries buying games/programs (word etc) if they were in my price range -_-
What would your 'price range' be?

Just don't update your firmware until it's confirmed safe and you'd be fine.

doesn't it force you to update now? it kills the bluray etc until its upgraded.

might have to pull the network cable out

What would your 'price range' be?

free

people say they'd buy them if they were $50

they would, for a little while, until 50 becomes too expensive, and "they'd buy them if they were $25"

doesn't it force you to update now? it kills the bluray etc until its upgraded.

might have to pull the network cable out

I haven't heard that. The only times I have had firmware notifications have been when I have either gone into the 'update system software' option in the settings and it has said that there is an update available, or when I have gone to play online and needed it to connect to the PSN.

In both cases I have cancelled the update because I CBF waiting for it and was content to play offline.

From what I hear though, this thing kicks in before any firmware even loads (it's the same thing they use on bricked consoles) so perhaps only a hardware fix on new consoles would block it. I believe this happened with the PSP hack, they couldn't fix it on PSP's already out there but the hack won't work on new models.

I have an original 60GB (upgraded to 500GB).

While piracy is obviously going to be a big seller for this hack, I'm more excited about the opportunities for homebrew applications.

I played around alittle with Linux while it was supported but this has the potential to be far better and easier, the homebrew will be able to run from the XMB. The first thing I'm after is a good SNES emulator. I have previously had to plug my PC into the TV to play SNES games on the big screen, even then I was using my PS3 controller connected with a USB cable. I'd love to play my SNES games with the PS3 controller wireless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it true that you put the disc into the ps3 and the dongle rips it to the HDD?

im raiding videoezy if so :)

free

people say they'd buy them if they were $50

they would, for a little while, until 50 becomes too expensive, and "they'd buy them if they were $25"
Yea what ever the price is there is always someone complaining they want it cheaper lol
they could sell games for a dollar and some people would still only want to pay 50 cents.
It's the way the world works thse days.

Slight?

But yes, I like to live on the ledge

I played the new Kane and Lynch last night co-op, pretty fun and 'Hard' is a fair challenge. It would be boring single player I reckon but co-op is always cool.

I am not sure if it is something that can be switched off or not but instead of showing a guys mangled face after you shoot them, it goes pixelated. I thought this was weird to begin with but now think it is pretty cool and better than showing the gore in a "so bad we can't show you" kinda way. It is comical when you shot gun some dude in the face from point blank range and it just turns pixelated instantly.

So how does this work, not that im pirateing

But how do you fit some big quailty games with big data like GOW III, GT5 mostly Sony games on a USB? Or cant you pirate those games and to pirate games arnt you ment to download them which are big files!

Be a shame for Sony as you wouldnt want their quality games GT5 pirated to the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back