POLL: Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of debate about the merits of the current push to force an EGM and spill of the board, so thought it would be interesting to see where people sit.

EDIT:

Perhaps I could have phrased the options a bit more concisely. Similar intent, but here's an alternative way I could have written them:

1) Change now via EGM with no alternative board or plan outlined
2) Change at the end of the year with no alternative board or plan outlined
3) Change now via an EGM with an alternative board or plan outlined
4) Change at the end of the year with an alternative board or plan outlined
5) Change if it were driven by an alternative candidate instead of a fan
6) I'm keeping an open mind
7) No spill even if an alternative board or plan was outlined
8) Other
9) I don't like this fan, so won't support his push

Note: I've kept the condition on 1, as a simple "change now" wouldn't provide the same insight on a process that's already under way, similar to how 2) and 4) are distinguished.

Last edited:

Other for me. I personally don’t care who sits on the board in terms of viable alternatives or the incumbents. My POV is solely based on the group most likely to sack the coaching group post 2021. Make the hard call and the rest will take care of itself.

I’m not in favour of the EGM as there is currently not a clear alternative ticket. Just seems like an angry mob with no plan.

That’s been the Collingwood way all decade.
Blind leading the blind.

At the very least they will need to start to listen to the fans and members because the disconnect couldn’t be any larger at the moment.

That’s been the Collingwood way all decade.
Blind leading the blind.

At the very least they will need to start to listen to the fans and members because the disconnect couldn’t be any larger at the moment.
Without an alternative ticket it is just another member forum. It will be embarrassing.

Need the members to form as the board and president too bring collingwood back to the people for a change used to be the peoples club back in the day. Time we even left the holden centre and gone back to vic park too.
Bring on the upheaval and the egm.
Out: inept arrogance
in: common sense and real people

Got to get it back to faithful at long last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Currently AGAINST, but would be in FAVOUR if it included a good alternative board or plan”

Can’t have an EGM just for the sake of it. It will look like a circus if no challenges the current board.

If someone runs, it’s a different story.

By the way I’m Buckley out and I was very unimpressed with the O’Donnell appointment.

I’m keeping an open mind.

Re: Senior coach, I like that somebody who knows more about footy than me is making the decision.

Re: Bridie O’Donnell, I’ve got nothing against her personally, but think her appointment was handled poorly From a PR point of view

I’m waiting to see what happens

Sure Browne runs if there’s an EGM? There couldn’t be an EGM just for finger pointing and venting... could there?!?
Did anyone see anything in the media about if Jeff Browne has even had any contact with the fan who created the petition? Would be hilarious if the bloke has collected enough signatures for an EGM before he even knows if Browne intends to challenge/is ready to challenge.

Sure Browne runs if there’s an EGM? There couldn’t be an EGM just for finger pointing and venting... could there?!?
If that happens, what's worse is O'Donnell's appointment could be ratified then and there.

If there's no challenge, people will turn on the organisers of this very quickly.

If that happens, what's worse is O'Donnell's appointment could be ratified then and there.

But wouldn’t that be a good thing?

Surely our club would be stronger with a full board complement who can vote? And with an odd number it would not need to rely on the President’s casting vote?

Sure, I get that some folks think that Bridie is a not-so-secret spy working to bring down Collingwood from the inside for the benefit of a cabal of the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda and whoever else has an AFLW team, but I respectfully don’t see it that way. I think she’ll be a strong person working for the benefit of the Collingwood Football Club.

Feel free to call me naive ... I’ll cop that.

If there's no challenge, people will turn on the organisers of this very quickly.

Unfortunately, yes.

It's all a bit neat if you ask me. Everybody in power or every influential person is saying the same thing: EGMs are bad. Why are they bad? Are they bad because the those in power want to keep it and don't want the process upset by democracy? I remember the same thing happening in 1982. The board wanted to retain power, but the members had had enough and the Ranald McDonald ticket won in a landslide. Within a few years the Club was almost bankrupt. That moment of democracy almost led to the club's demise, so I understand the caution.

This time around it is a bit different. The challenge will come from Browne, an AFL insider and astute businessman, who, no doubt has assembled a strong ticket. I'm presuming Browne's ticket will be announced within the week. It can't be delayed much longer because the assistant coaching deadline looms and Browne will want to control the head coach narrative.

The word in media circles is that the Korda Board is inclined to reappoint Nathan Buckley.

It's all a bit neat if you ask me. Everybody in power or every influential person is saying the same thing: EGMs are bad. Why are they bad? Are they bad because the those in power want to keep it and don't want the process upset by democracy? I remember the same thing happening in 1982. The board wanted to retain power, but the members had had enough and the Ranald McDonald ticket won in a landslide. Within a few years the Club was almost bankrupt. That moment of democracy almost led to the club's demise, so I understand the caution.

This time around it is a bit different. The challenge will come from Browne, an AFL insider and astute businessman, who, no doubt has assembled a strong ticket. I'm presuming Browne's ticket will be announced within the week. It can't be delayed much longer because the assistant coaching deadline looms and Browne will want to control the head coach narrative.

The word in media circles is that the Korda Board is inclined to reappoint Nathan Buckley.

I think the stigma is associated with EGM’s rather than AGM’s for good reason and if you need to call an emergency vote in order to oust a current board something very bad is happening. The problem Collingwood has is we also don’t have AGM’s involving a vote which allow for the members to be involved and that’s bred a clear disconnect. This was all fine when the members broadly trusted Ed to do the right thing, but that trust is now gone in this board

For instance if we were a club for the people the newest board member would be handpicked as a candidate and need to be voted in at the AGM where anyone can challenge. What the current boards intent will be is to ratify their decision at the AGM.

Bring on the EGM then. Absolutely lunacy to reappoint Buckley.

Remove this Banner Ad

POLL: Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

Back