POLL: Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's time for change, the debacle of this last year demands that time is now.
I actually think the best decision would be to look past both Korda and Brown to promote Murphy to the presidency
a level headed middle ground

The problem I have with Murphy is he ran the “review” 4 years ago...hence why I don’t want much of the same same to continue to govern.
There’s no way he gets a pass to presidency...his finger prints are on everything as much as anyone on the current board.

The problem I have with Murphy is he ran the “review” 4 years ago...hence why I don’t want much of the same same to continue to govern.
There’s no way he gets a pass to presidency...his finger prints are on everything as much as anyone on the current board.

What have you got against the review?

The vaccination rollout seems to be going well?

I had my first jab within 24 hours of deciding to take it. It was expertly handled by a government who clearly have their sh*t together (ie: 20 days from vacant building site to dedicated vaccination facility built, fitted out, staffed and fully operational and expertly organised). I haven’t seen anything close to that level of application and efficiency this side of the the Chinese border.
Yes.
The Victorian Government certainly built dedicated vaccine facilities in a short time frame.
Pity the Feds couldn’t, and still can’t, fulfil their promise of supply.
Should this discussion be in this thread?

What have you got against the review?

I genuinely felt it was all about one thing—-protecting Nathan Buckley and in turn protecting themselves from being held responsible and accountable.
Nobody had the balls to do what was needed so we had an “internal review” to “control” the outcome.

4 years later same problem, same people.
About to undergo another review

Should this discussion be in this thread?

No.

The Victorian Government certainly built dedicated vaccine facilities in a short time frame.

I was referring to the NSW government. Like I said, I’ve seen no issues of supply myself.

Yes, because the Federal government own Pfizer and can just take whatever they need.

FMD the level of stupidity in this country is even more alarming than I thought possible.

Maybe you can just mosey on down to CSL's plant in Parkville and tell them no need to do batch testing, you'll take it as it is?

I genuinely felt it was all about one thing—-protecting Nathan Buckley and in turn protecting themselves from being held responsible and accountable.
Nobody had the balls to do what was needed so we had an “internal review” to “control” the outcome.

4 years later same problem, same people.
About to undergo another review

My problem with the review is that we, the members, had and have no idea about the terms of reference, any of the findings *Note 1, and very little of the recommendations and implementation *Note 2.

Who knows, the same thing may very well have been doomed to have happened with the ‘Do Better’ report if it hadn’t leaked. Now that the club are accountable to the members for the implementation progress, the club is better for it.

I get that being visible to the members can open a can of worms. But that should be the skill of a good board and executive to manage that.

* Note 1: apart from the fact our salary cap was maxed out, but the only reason we knew that is because somebody neglected to draw the boardroom curtains closed.

* Note 2: We can reasonably deduce some of it based on personnel change (Pert stepped down, Guy was brought in to manage list, Davoran was moved on, the club doctor was moved on, a footy director was brought on the board (Licuria) and Sizer was brought on the board)

Last edited:
Yes, because the Federal government own Pfizer and can just take whatever they need.

FMD the level of stupidity in this country is even more alarming than I thought possible.

Maybe you can just mosey on down to CSL's plant in Parkville and tell them no need to do batch testing, you'll take it as it is?
I was stunned when the media revealed CSL’s plant location while there were anti Vaxx protests happening in Australia, and serious assaults on vaccine plants overseas.
Hell, they even stood outside the plant with its placard behind them.
So incompetent.

Based on changes happening now...
- Football Dept changes (Out Walsh & Guy, In Wright & Sellwood...plus more to come I assume)
- Refreshing the list with youth...rebuild
- Review of coaching panel (conducted by Wright)
- Board changes with 2 longest serving out, 2 new in.

We are financially strong (for an AFL Club).
Have addressed the do better report.
I believe we are turning the corner...with a view for the future.
If the existing board had sat on their hands (did nothing) & tried to weather the storm, I would be first in line to call for a changing of the guard.
IMO you’re too generous and seem to have highlighted only recent actions which are yet to be confirmed as having positive impacts on the club. In the end, this board is the same incarnation that oversaw the mistakes in the first place albeit with some minor forced changes.

The best and only strong point IMO to raise in defence of the current board is that it is convenient to criticise it this year when the club made finals in most recent years. Despite this positive it continues to make more missteps each month or so.

(1) But our current board haven’t been overseeing the joint for the last decade?

(2) If Premierships are your only measure of success then the passing parade of our board over the last 10 years have overseen two (VWFL 2018 + VFLW 2019)

It's obvious that this is not what Lockyer24 was talking about, I imagine the bulk of the fan base wants flags for the senior mens team and no more flags for the blose, bombouts and tigs senior mens teams.

These that you mention here are a bonus but not what the broader fan base is griping about.

Its coming to an ugly impasse

Browne wants to join forces with three existing directors in a peaceful takeover
Korda and all the directors have publicly refused to accept that offer
One of them that he actually wants to work with.... Sizer, has got personal and made some ridiculous irrelevant and most of all, incorrect comments about Browne coming from a life of privilege
The current board is suffering massive public backlash for bringing in ODonnell who is ineligible to even vote in meetings
If Browne wants to expand his ticket to seven members to force an EGM he needs to come up with a ticket that does NOT include Craig Kelly and Peter Moore, who cannot possibly serve on the board due to multiple conflicts of interest
Hately has a bunch of signatures that he cant really use except as a negotiating tool until Browne gets his ticket together

Maybe the best way out for the club is for Murphy to sweep in as President... Korda and a few other members to resign... and a few new board members are elected in (ideally with Brownes blessing but not Browne himself)

As for Buckley....in an ideal world the coaching decision should be a seperate issue to the question of who should be on the board of the club. Maybe that decision should be deferred for a year and in 12 months time the board will be in a better position to more objectively address the question of who our senior coach should be.

Last edited:

A few minutes of my life I'll never get back, I should have learned by now. The way Caroline Wilson reports on this drama makes it even more cringeworthy.

She does raise the valid point about the conflict of interest that Moore and Kelly have, but we all knew this.

Collingwood "news" sells the vomit fountain that is Wilson knows this. The extra clicks she got must have made her smile a little today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's obvious that this is not what Lockyer24 was talking about, I imagine the bulk of the fan base wants flags for the senior mens team and no more flags for the blose, bombouts and tigs senior mens teams.

These that you mention here are a bonus but not what the broader fan base is griping about.

But what is the motivation of those griping folks who want to dump our current board?

Is it punishment for not delivering an AFL Premiership?
Or do they want to replace them with people who are more likely to win a Premiership?

The latter reason seems reasonable ...

... but in the many threads and thousands of posts on this topic, I am yet to see anybody articulate why they think Jeff Browne or anybody else is more likely to deliver us a Premiership?

The current board have demonstrated that they can win them. Mark Korda (the guy folks are complaining has been on the board too long) was on the board in 2010 when we won the AFL Premiership. Four of our seven board members have been seated during a period when our VFLW team has established a record of 40-5-1 and the 2019 Premiership.

Contrast that with Carlton 2018 ...

It wasn’t just their AFL men’s who won the wooden spoon that year, but their AFLW won the wooden spoon as well.

Carlton’s club record in 2018:
AFL 2-20-0 (wooden spoon)
AFLW 2-5-0 (wooden spoon)
VFL 6-12-0 (12th of 15)
VFLW 6-8-0 (7th of 13)
AFL JLT series 2-0-0
AFL AFLX series 0-2-0

So let’s tally all that up to admire the sheer glory of it
Carlton 2018 club record: 18-47-0

That’s not a team that’s at the bottom of its development cycle, or a senior coach who is a poor matchday coach, or a bad trading period. That’s a club that has systemic problems. That’s what “I’m sick of losing, the board needs to go!” looks like. And the Carlton members didn’t do a damn thing about it, they had clearly become accustomed to losing.

By contrast Collingwood doesn’t have anything like those systemic issues. Our board is capable of winning Premierships.

Barely 10 months ago our senior men’s was winning an Elimination final in Perth. And today we want to sack the board?

Last edited:
But what is the motivation of those griping folks who want to dump our current board?

Or do they want to replace them with people who are more likely to win a Premiership?

... but in the many threads and thousands of posts on this topic, I am yet to see anybody articulate why they think Jeff Browne or anybody else is more likely to deliver us a Premiership?

The current board have demonstrated that they can win them. Mark Korda (the guy folks are complaining has been on the board too long) was on the board in 2010 when we won the AFL Premiership. Four of our seven board members have been seated during a period when our VFLW team has established a record of 40-5-1 and the 2019 Premiership.

It wasn’t just their AFL men’s who won the wooden spoon that year, but their AFLW won the wooden spoon as well.

VFL 6-12-0 (12th of 15)
VFLW 6-8-0 (7th of 13)
AFL JLT series 2-0-0
AFL AFLX series 0-2-0

So let’s tally all up to admire the sheer glory of it

That’s not a team that’s at the bottom of its development cycle, or a senior coach who is a poor matchday coach, or a bad trading period. That’s a club that has systemic problems. That’s what “I’m sick of losing, the board needs to go!” looks like (and the Carlton members didn’t, they’ve clearly become accustomed to losing)

By contrast Collingwood doesn’t have anything like those systemic issues. Our board is capable of winning Premierships. Barely 10 months ago our senior men’s was winning an Elimination final in Perth. And today we want to sack the board?

Wow theres a collection of over simplifications there. Unsure where to start.

I don’t know and I don’t care, but I’d suggest he’s no Ed in terms of public gaffes. I just want whoever is more likely to sack Buckley.

Browne and Korda have the same position on Buckley which is to let Wright decide. The only difference is the Browne ticket has Kelly as a board member, who is Buckley's manager. A conflict of intetest there which favours Bucks, but also appreciating there are ways to manage that. Does that change your thoughts on Browne?

To start with I’m in no way as big a fan of Wright as others on here and I don’t like that we’re talking about leaving it in the hands of one person, but Korda put that on the agenda.

IMO, it should be a decision made in conjunction with Wright, Anderson and Licuria. If they can’t reach a consensus the rest of the board take a vote and if that’s split Licuria has the final say.

My belief is that if Wright’s inclination is to re-sign Buckley I think he’s the wrong man for the job. Only a hater or sycophant would say he’s doing a good enough job to warrant a contract extension given how we play.

That's not accurate. The decision will be made by a group led by Wright and including Anderson and Licuria. I think there was a 4th too but forget who. That's exactly what you're after.

Browne and Korda have the same position on Buckley which is to let Wright decide. The only difference is the Browne ticket has Kelly as a board member, who is Buckley's manager. A conflict of intetest there which favours Bucks, but also appreciating there are ways to manage that. Does that change your thoughts on Browne?

That’s the public perception though. Right now all the evidence points to Browne being more likely to sack Buckley than Korda based on media reporting of the current board chasing Leppa as a senior assistant and Browne chasing Clarkson.

Where has it been suggested that Kelly is on the Browne ticket? My take is that it’s a significant disadvantage to Buckley because it effectively makes his role untenable not to mention Buckley has backed Korda.

That's not accurate. The decision will be made by a group led by Wright and including Anderson and Licuria. I think there was a 4th too but forget who. That's exactly what you're after.

Korda went on the record to say that it would be left in the hands of Wright.

I'm in the middle.

What the club has been doing like, mismanaging the cap which resulted in trading crowd favourites away while keep absolute duds was horrible (plus no communication towards fans.
- Not acknowledging that the club had a racism problem until Harry brought it up.
- Horrible decisions in terms of the way we play

Eddie did a lot of good things yes, but he damaged the football as well. Jeff Browne is his mate, who will reign as close to Eddie did as possible, he's not the answer but Korda was on the board when all of that shit show above went and happened.

VFL 6-12-0 (12th of 15)
VFLW 6-8-0 (7th of 13)
AFL JLT series 2-0-0
AFL AFLX series 0-2-0

So let’s tally all that up to admire the sheer glory of it

That’s not a team that’s at the bottom of its development cycle, or a senior coach who is a poor matchday coach, or a bad trading period. That’s a club that has systemic problems. That’s what “I’m sick of losing, the board needs to go!” looks like. And the Carlton members didn’t do a damn thing about it, they had clearly become accustomed to losing.

By contrast Collingwood doesn’t have anything like those systemic issues. Our board is capable of winning Premierships.

Barely 10 months ago our senior men’s was winning an Elimination final in Perth. And today we want to sack the board?
Now Carlton is our benchmark? I'll only say wow.

Its coming to an ugly impasse

Browne wants to join forces with three existing directors in a peaceful takeover
Korda and all the directors have publicly refused to accept that offer
One of them that he actually wants to work with.... Sizer, has got personal and made some ridiculous irrelevant and most of all, incorrect comments about Browne coming from a life of privilege
The current board is suffering massive public backlash for bringing in ODonnell who is ineligible to even vote in meetings
If Browne wants to expand his ticket to seven members to force an EGM he needs to come up with a ticket that does NOT include Craig Kelly and Peter Moore, who cannot possibly serve on the board due to multiple conflicts of interest
Hately has a bunch of signatures that he cant really use except as a negotiating tool until Browne gets his ticket together

Maybe the best way out for the club is for Murphy to sweep in as President... Korda and a few other members to resign... and a few new board members are elected in (ideally with Brownes blessing but not Browne himself)

As for Buckley....in an ideal world the coaching decision should be a seperate issue to the question of who should be on the board of the club. Maybe that decision should be deferred for a year and in 12 months time the board will be in a better position to more objectively address the question of who our senior coach should be.

**** that. Crystal clear that he shouldn't be coach.

Back