Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 62 18.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Billings

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Kolodjashnij

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Aish

Votes: 74 22.6%
  • Scharenberg

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • McDonald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeman

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Sheed

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Salem

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Crouch

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • McCarthy

• Gardiner

• Taylor

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Acres

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Hartung

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Battersby

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other player not mentioned in poll

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you wanted to rectify the pace problem overnight he and Taylor would be the ones

Yeah and looking at his highlights his ability to weight a pass was as good as I've seen of any of the draftees, also athletically just a beast dominates in sprints and did a 15 beep.

I'm just curious as to the quote of us rating him up there with Tom Boyd, I'd like to hear more about that.

The way I see it, is that there could be a number of top five bolters. Lets say there are two in KK and Freeman. That means at six we're flush for options with two of Aish, Billings and Scharenberg falling to 6 plus Bontempelli to choose from.

If that were to happen, and lets say the sliders were Aish and Scharenberg, then you'd assume we take Aish, Brisbane take Scharenberg, Melbourne take Lennon/Bontempelli and we get the (very good) left overs at 10. Melbourne in my opinion would be far more likely to take Lennon.

Going by previous phantom drafts and how the actual draft turns out, I'd say it's more likely for there to be a few bolters and a few sliders. Happy days.

Cal Twomey of afl.com in reply to 'Who's your favourite player this year?':

"Like Billings as a game changer, Kelly's a pro, Lennon's exciting, McDonald's vibrant, Aish is composed".
[Also says that Lions are looking closely at picking McCarthy at 7].
Good times coming...

Wow... now - THIS Is confussion. Inside Footy's Draft Special came out today and this is their first round phantom;

1 GWS: Tom Boyd
2 GWS: Josh Kelly
3 STK: Jack Billings
4 WBD: James Aish
5 GCS: Kade Koloddjashnij
6 COL: Christian Salem
7 BRI: Cameron McCarthy
8 NTH: Luke McDonald
9 MEL: Matthew Scharenberg
10 COL: Marcus Bontempelli
11 WCE: Dom Sheed
12 RIC: Ben Lennon
13 CAR: Nathan Freeman
14 GWS: Tom Cutler
15 SYD: Zach Merrett
16 GEE: Blake Acres
17 FRE: Trent Dumont
18 STK: Lewis Taylor
19 STK: Matt Crouch
20 GCS: Zac Jones

My observations;

Lewis Taylor - not getting the credit he deserves, finished the year ealier after surgery on his foot, touted top 10 before surgery.

Zach Merrett - I've never considered him to be a Round 1 contender ever, in times where Salem, Kelly and Freeman were away on AIS duties, Merrett strugled big time at Sandringham without those guys there. I just see him asa good talent, but somebody I wouldn't have thought it R1

Matt Scharenberg - Melbourne will laugh all the way to the bank if Schara is there at pick 9 which is a massive drop considering he was mooted as a top 3 for the better part of the year.

Christian Salem - while he is a sublime player, I thought pick 6 was a little overs for him with the wider consensus that he'll be there at pick 10 if we're after him.

Nathan Freeman - another big drop off. Then again, he's gone from that 15-20 mark, to the 10-15 mark to now 6-10 to 13.

Tom Cutler - missed a fair chunk of footy with an ankle injury this year, I wrote this on him http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-tom-cutler/ but he's been one who hasn't come into R1 calculations for anybody apart from IF.

Darcy Garinder - for some reason isn't in the first round??

St Kilda will be massive winners if they get both Crouch and Taylor at 18 and 19, that is theft!!

Walk into seniors
Aish
Scharenberg
Sheed
Taylor
Crouch

1 -2 years
Bontempelli
Kolodjashnij
Lennon
Freeman
Salem
Acres

3 -4 years
McCarthy

*Won't get near Boyd, Kelly, McDonald and Billings

The voting in the poll is pretty tight.

Aish -62
Scharenberg -52
Bontempelli - 50

I can only assume the lack of love for Billings is because nobody actually thinks he will make it to us. Kids a gun.
No doubt quickster.

I'd think based on all reports Boyd, Kelly and Billings are the only players highly unlikely to get to pick 6.

I'm surprised by the Freeman numbers. I'm not sure of Patrick Dangerfields numbers and performance at U'18 level, but Freeman could be viewed in a very similar mould. Dangerfield was taken at pick 10.

No doubt quickster.

I'd think based on all reports Boyd, Kelly and Billings are the only players highly unlikely to get to pick 6.

I'm surprised by the Freeman numbers. I'm not sure of Patrick Dangerfields numbers and performance at U'18 level, but Freeman could be viewed in a very similar mould. Dangerfield was taken at pick 10.

I don't think Freeman has the build to be that powerful player Dangerfield is personally. I see him as much more outside and without the same qualities to impact up forward. A good player no doubt, and I wouldn't be disappointed getting an outside player like him at 10. We could use that.

No doubt quickster.

I don't like this comparison, Danger is a much bigger body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like this comparison, Danger is a much bigger body.

In height not mass.

Freeman is actually quite explosively built but only 182cm 85kgs, at the same ages for a fair comparison (Danger is now very solid in comparison and 188cm 91kgs).

76446297yk0.jpg
FREEMAN1620x370-2nd.jpg

Watching Lennon on afl.com i'm not sold on him in the slightest. He said himself he prefers to play up forward and pinch hit in the midfield. I don't think we are in need of that style player. We have a plethora of mids that rotate forward. I'd prefer 2 deadset gun mids that pinch forward rather than the other way around.. If Freeman is the only genuine mid with real pace I can't see us passing him up. We will then go best avail with our second pick. Hopefully Bont... but if Aish is avail i would assume we go Aish and hope Freeman slides.

After spending some more time watching the clips this weekend I've settled on my Hine list, which is also based on some close attention to comments from Knightmare, Paige, Snoop and reading most of the phantom drafts:

1. Scharenberg - shows great strength, composure and versatility. Kicking to a lead seems excellent. As that extra defender could he allow us the extra flexibility to throw Reid forward? Does resemble Clement in style and if he can be that calibre of player would be a huge asset for us by both sureing up our defence and allowing greater flexibility with some of our other talls especially now that Maxwells form is really tapering. We would almost certainly be a better side structurally, even though he may not technically be a key position player.

2. Aish - although in principle I want our picks to reflect maximum versatility, and I think Aish is not a hugely versatile option, his credentials, general analysis from a wide number of sources and elite composure and kicking efficiency mean he could be an exceptional asset off half back or as a component of the midfield.

3. Bontempelli - on the spectrum of pick up the ball one handed players we would obviously be hoping for more Koutafides and less Brennan. But his physical attributes are appealing. He would, along with Karnezis add much needed altitude to our midfield although he might need a year or two to be battle ready. We need this height to combat the bigger inside units in the top sides. Also greatly versatile as at 190 plus he could drift forward to become a dangerous target. Basketball background and low end age may make for the upside we are hoping for.

4. Lennon - Not sold on him completely and hope that he has the right attitude to make it. But his sticky marking and damaging kicking combined with his developing midfield ability again say versatility. He could play any number of roles, add better foot skills to the team which could be used to break the lines from down back or add more X factor up forward. On paper a great fit for our side.

5. Acres - Another great versatile option, great size, good strength and balance, excellent kick who assesses targets well and could be yet another taller mid to balance our height issues as well as being able to play back or forward. Good leader by some accounts. I've gone a bit shy of him after reading about his shoulder probs which can be recurring ala Rusling. If he was a certainty to be fit would have him ahead of Lennon.

6. Crouch - Having seen a little of him and read Knightmares thoughts its hard to ignore him. His numbers as an inside mid are off the charts and if he developed his tank he could be an elite midfielder who has a strong body and is virtually ready to go. Unlike many I'm not convinced getting Adams puts our inside mid problems to bed. Pendles, Beams and Swan are natural forward runners and our other mids are small or light bodied. Ball is almost 30 and Adams could get injured. Most top sides have several bulls to rotate and Sydney routinely have up to five, we don't have to be content with one or two.

7. Freeman - I like the pace and line breaking ability he shows which would add something different to our mix. He doesn't seem completely balanced or composed in traffic or on the run but somehow seems to get clear and do damage. I don't know enough about him to be able to comment but have him here because our midfield is so one paced that just having a guy with his speed would have the opposition less settled than they have been of late.

Didn't want to disrespect the other players in the form guide who also show various enticing traits but for various reasons eg inconsistent form, less versatility or no chance anyway (Boyd) I have not discussed. So now I expect Hine to do what he always does and pick one or two of them. But for me, the list above is where I'd be most happy going into the exciting new Buckley era.

Good idea wednesdaywarrior

My list:
#1: Boyd
#2: Bontempelli
#3: Aish
#4: Billings
#5: Freeman
#6: Scharenberg
#7: Lennon
#8: Acres
#9: Salem
#10: Sheed

Based on purely personal wants. Any of the top 7 would be amazing, 8-10 would be good but I wouldn't dance around the living room.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that we should be taking scharenberg . He seems like the type that would become a back line general and his ready to play. This also will strengthen our forward line as Reid will have more flexibility to swing from back too forward without getting to thin down back in defence.

Good idea wednesdaywarrior

My list:
#1: Boyd
#2: Bontempelli
#3: Aish
#4: Billings
#5: Freeman
#6: Scharenberg
#7: Lennon
#8: Acres
#9: Salem
#10: Sheed

Based on purely personal wants. Any of the top 7 would be amazing, 8-10 would be good but I wouldn't dance around the living room.

Well I have a feeling we will end up with 2 of your top 7.
Boyd obviously not.

No reason why we cant walk away with 2 of Bontempelli, Aish, Freeman, Scharenberg & Lennon.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that we should be taking scharenberg . He seems like the type that would become a back line general and his ready to play. This also will strengthen our forward line as Reid will have more flexibility to swing from back too forward without getting to thin down back in defence.

I don't know why people are down on him... He's got great size and versatility, he's got great character and leadership potential, and he uses the ball very well. Then you see people preferring players with serious gaps in or question marks over their skills to a kid who has ticked all of the boxes in every way that he could have been asked to.

Well I have a feeling we will end up with 2 of your top 7.
Boyd obviously not.

No reason why we cant walk away with 2 of Bontempelli, Aish, Freeman, Scharenberg & Lennon.

Sure there is:

GWS: Boyd
GWS: Kelly
StK: Billings
WB: Aish
GCS: Scharenberg
Coll: Bontempelli
Bris: Lennon
NM: McDonald
Mel: Freeman
Coll: ?????

That's not a particularly far-fetched outcome... It's been predicted more than once. Of course, I'm actually a fan of Kolodjashnij and would be happy to draft him in this circumstance, but few around here share my enthusiasm for the kid.

In height not mass.

Freeman is actually quite explosively built but only 182cm 85kgs, at the same ages for a fair comparison (Danger is now very solid in comparison and 188cm 91kgs).

Not sure that Freeman can make up the 6cm and if he does I'd like to know, well, my missus would like to know how he did it! :D

Sure there is:

GWS: Boyd
GWS: Kelly
StK: Billings
WB: Aish
GCS: Scharenberg
Coll: Bontempelli
Bris: Lennon
NM: McDonald
Mel: Freeman
Coll: ?????

That's not a particularly far-fetched outcome... It's been predicted more than once. Of course, I'm actually a fan of Kolodjashnij and would be happy to draft him in this circumstance, but few around here share my enthusiasm for the kid.

Yeah I was going off Kolodjashnij going to the Gold Coast... Heard they are all over him.
This leaves one slipping through to us.

Yeah I was going off Kolodjashnij going to the Gold Coast... Heard they are all over him.
This leaves one slipping through to us.

They were supposedly "all over" Simpson last year before ignoring him in favour of Lonergan, something that only seemed a slight possibility going into the draft.

Don't get caught up in believing things because you like the thought of them happening. Gold Coast's pick is no more set in stone than anyone else's at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Back