Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 62 18.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Billings

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Kolodjashnij

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Aish

Votes: 74 22.6%
  • Scharenberg

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • McDonald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeman

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Sheed

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Salem

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Crouch

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • McCarthy

• Gardiner

• Taylor

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Acres

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Hartung

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Battersby

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other player not mentioned in poll

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They were supposedly "all over" Simpson last year before ignoring him in favour of Lonergan, something that only seemed a slight possibility going into the draft.

Don't get caught up in believing things because you like the thought of them happening. Gold Coast's pick is no more set in stone than anyone else's at this stage.

Fair call.

To be honest I am not "believing" things I read etc.
A mate of mine knows someone who has close ties with the Suns and this is what he was telling me.

But I suppose alot of people hear things and have inside info etc... Things change.

They were supposedly "all over" Simpson last year before ignoring him in favour of Lonergan, something that only seemed a slight possibility going into the draft.

Don't get caught up in believing things because you like the thought of them happening. Gold Coast's pick is no more set in stone than anyone else's at this stage.

Vinnie, stop coming on here destroying our utopian draft fantasies with your common sense logic. It isn't appreciated.

And another thing ... why can't Gold Coast just be good and do what is expected of them so we can get the players we want and expect (sigh) WHY ARE PEOPLE SO DIFFICULT?!

If, if, if, if ... KK does get to GC and as has been pointed out it's a definite if, it does suggest we would have a likely choice out of Aish, Scharenberg and Bontempelli which would be just bloody awesome. I'm just speaking as a Pie and draft tragic of some years now who has been starved of any top ten action for what is it? Can't remember when Reid was drafted but it's been a long time. No wonder we're getting Big Kev excited here.

As I said (bigger) in Height not mass, as in Freeman aint a twig and will be a solid bodied midfielder at AFL level.

Love him. His height means bugger all, loves the contest, is lightning quick, I drafted him at 6 in the phantom draft thread. If we get him I will be wrapped.

Whoever we get, it's a pretty good bet that they'll become another good draft duo for us:

2005: Daisy (#2) & Pendles (#5)
2006: Reid (#8) & N.Brown (#10)
2008: Sidey (#11) & Beams (#29)
2013: ...

(2012 being a trio)

Whoever we get, it's a pretty good bet that they'll become another good draft duo for us:

2005: Daisy (#2) & Pendles (#5)
2006: Reid (#8) & N.Brown (#10)
2008: Sidey (#11) & Beams (#29)
2013: ...

(2012 being a trio)

2012 was a duo of Grundy and Kennedy with a special detachable Broomhead.

Love him. His height means bugger all, loves the contest, is lightning quick, I drafted him at 6 in the phantom draft thread. If we get him I will be wrapped.

Hey GSN,

I have a couple of others ahead of Freeman on my wish list but I read your notes on the phantom draft. You're obviously a fan. I agree his pace would be a great bonus to our relatively slow list. But wouldn't you be more inclined to risk getting him at 10, allowing pick 6 to be used on that tall midfielder we are after? Do you think Freeman has the composure, consistency and skill to warrant pick 6? Not a loaded q. as I really don't know, not having seen anything of him outside the highlight reel.

My top 10:
1. Boyd
2. Scharenberg
3. Billings
4. KK
5. Bontempelli
6. Lennon
7. Acres
8. Aish
9. Freeman
10. Kelly

This all going from their highlights, stats, reports and the limited vision I've seen of them this year (mainly u/18 champs). Perhaps a bit controversial with Aish at 8 and Kelly at 10 and Acres up at 7.

Scharenberg at 2 is all class. Foot skills, body positioning in 1v1 contests, ball reading ability, ability to intercept opposition forward thrusts and decision making are all fantastic. Would transition very easily into AFL football. Reminds me of a mix of Luke Hodge and Grant Birchall. Would be ecstatic if he got him with pick 6, however i doubt he'd last until then.

KK is probably one of the best kicks in the draft and is incredibly damaging with his foot skills from the back half. I rate his kicking as better than Scharenberg's, however I believe Scharenberg is a better mark, has better 1v1 ability and would more easily transition to other positions. I havent seen much contested ball winning ability which is a bit concerning and hence he could be a bit high in my rankings, however as I've seen less of him than any other draftee in my top 10 (only the u/18 champs), I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as from all reports he played more as a midfielder in the tassie league as opposed to a half-back/quarterback at the champs.

Bontempelli, I have grouped along with Scharenberg, Acres and Lennon as the most versatile players in the upper echelon of the draft. ATM Bontempelli is primarily a wingman, however has shown ability when thrown in the centre square. He is also adept at playing on the flanks, however I don't see him at being able to hold down a key position despite his height (has been reported anywhere from 192-194cm) as his contested marking against players of similar size isn't flash. What interests me, along with most people, is his potential as a dual inside/outside midfielder. Already a great mover, if he can couple that with high level ball winning ability from contested situations, he'll be scary.

Acres is one I'd love to have. I view him very similar to nat fyfe. That 190cm tall midfielder, he is already a proven dual inside/outside midfielder, dominating at colts level. Above average mark (not as good as fyfe, but who is at his size?), good decision maker, contested ball winner and a good kick (better than fyfe). Acres is another one who screams versatile, able to play on the flanks and as a 3rd tall forward, but what most excites me is once again, like Bontempelli, his ability to be a proficient midfielder at his height and with his skillset.

Aish and Kelly may deserve to be higher but I dont value the types of players they are as highly as others. They are both ball magnets with good foot skills who are great readers of the play, however they have a lot of deficiencies in their games at the moment:
1. Both are predominantly outside players. Aish's reasoning may be put down to being a regular senior player the past couple years, however it was concerning when at the champs he still played predominantly outside. Also with their sizes, about 184cm each with very thin builds, I'm concerned at their ability to develop effective AFL standard inside games. I'm not a fan of pure outside types and would rather players with at least dual inside/outside ability.
2. Limited versatility. At AFL level, I see both players occupying wings for at least the first 3-4 years of their careers with not much scope for other positions pending considerable development contested ball winning ability. Could potentially settle on a flank in the early stages as well. Much of their versatility depends on developing solid contested games. It's virtually the non-negotiable of AFL nowadays, winning your own ball.
3. Name a predominantly outside player in the top 20 midfielders in the league? I can't think of any, all the guns are either inside ball winning beasts (eg. mitchell, watson) or dual inside/outside players (ablett, pendles, griffin, danger, mundy, swan, beams). Seems a lot to give up a top 5 draft pick on someone who at the moment doesn't look like developing into a gun of the competition, but rather potentially a good solid player in the 5-10 bracket ranking of a club.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions, I could end up being completely wrong in 5 years time.

*Waits for potential backlash of Aish and Kelly*

My top 10:
1. Boyd
2. Scharenberg
3. Billings
4. KK
5. Bontempelli
6. Lennon
7. Acres
8. Aish
9. Freeman
10. Kelly

This all going from their highlights, stats, reports and the limited vision I've seen of them this year (mainly u/18 champs). Perhaps a bit controversial with Aish at 8 and Kelly at 10 and Acres up at 7.

Scharenberg at 2 is all class. Foot skills, body positioning in 1v1 contests, ball reading ability, ability to intercept opposition forward thrusts and decision making are all fantastic. Would transition very easily into AFL football. Reminds me of a mix of Luke Hodge and Grant Birchall. Would be ecstatic if he got him with pick 6, however i doubt he'd last until then.

KK is probably one of the best kicks in the draft and is incredibly damaging with his foot skills from the back half. I rate his kicking as better than Scharenberg's, however I believe Scharenberg is a better mark, has better 1v1 ability and would more easily transition to other positions. I havent seen much contested ball winning ability which is a bit concerning and hence he could be a bit high in my rankings, however as I've seen less of him than any other draftee in my top 10 (only the u/18 champs), I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as from all reports he played more as a midfielder in the tassie league as opposed to a half-back/quarterback at the champs.

Bontempelli, I have grouped along with Scharenberg, Acres and Lennon as the most versatile players in the upper echelon of the draft. ATM Bontempelli is primarily a wingman, however has shown ability when thrown in the centre square. He is also adept at playing on the flanks, however I don't see him at being able to hold down a key position despite his height (has been reported anywhere from 192-194cm) as his contested marking against players of similar size isn't flash. What interests me, along with most people, is his potential as a dual inside/outside midfielder. Already a great mover, if he can couple that with high level ball winning ability from contested situations, he'll be scary.

Acres is one I'd love to have. I view him very similar to nat fyfe. That 190cm tall midfielder, he is already a proven dual inside/outside midfielder, dominating at colts level. Above average mark (not as good as fyfe, but who is at his size?), good decision maker, contested ball winner and a good kick (better than fyfe). Acres is another one who screams versatile, able to play on the flanks and as a 3rd tall forward, but what most excites me is once again, like Bontempelli, his ability to be a proficient midfielder at his height and with his skillset.

Aish and Kelly may deserve to be higher but I dont value the types of players they are as highly as others. They are both ball magnets with good foot skills who are great readers of the play, however they have a lot of deficiencies in their games at the moment:
1. Both are predominantly outside players. Aish's reasoning may be put down to being a regular senior player the past couple years, however it was concerning when at the champs he still played predominantly outside. Also with their sizes, about 184cm each with very thin builds, I'm concerned at their ability to develop effective AFL standard inside games. I'm not a fan of pure outside types and would rather players with at least dual inside/outside ability.
2. Limited versatility. At AFL level, I see both players occupying wings for at least the first 3-4 years of their careers with not much scope for other positions pending considerable development contested ball winning ability. Could potentially settle on a flank in the early stages as well. Much of their versatility depends on developing solid contested games. It's virtually the non-negotiable of AFL nowadays, winning your own ball.
3. Name a predominantly outside player in the top 20 midfielders in the league? I can't think of any, all the guns are either inside ball winning beasts (eg. mitchell, watson) or dual inside/outside players (ablett, pendles, griffin, danger, mundy, swan, beams). Seems a lot to give up a top 5 draft pick on someone who at the moment doesn't look like developing into a gun of the competition, but rather potentially a good solid player in the 5-10 bracket ranking of a club.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions, I could end up being completely wrong in 5 years time.

*Waits for potential backlash of Aish and Kelly*

Aish looks a beauty but I would not take him at 6 after the shoulder reco.

Still prefer Scharenberg at 6 if available. His leadership and reading of the play would have him slot into our half back line instantly - Aish at 10 if still available (I know this is highly unlikely).

Love the reasoning above.

Agree with nearly all points. I was on the Aish bandwagon but (look at him ...) you sell your point well, he might struggle unless he can develop an inside game. I guess Aish is sort of the anti-Crouch in that respect.

But then in a similar way I disagree with your rating of KK, although his kicking is superb I'm just not comfortable spending such high picks on a guy who is seemingly so outside.

Hey GSN,

I have a couple of others ahead of Freeman on my wish list but I read your notes on the phantom draft. You're obviously a fan. I agree his pace would be a great bonus to our relatively slow list. But wouldn't you be more inclined to risk getting him at 10, allowing pick 6 to be used on that tall midfielder we are after? Do you think Freeman has the composure, consistency and skill to warrant pick 6? Not a loaded q. as I really don't know, not having seen anything of him outside the highlight reel.

I doubt Dekka will pick him at 6 but when you hear (dont believe everything you hear ;)) Melbourne are ultra keen I decided it had to be pick 6 and take what we will at 10 (for the phantom draft). You have read the write up so outside of that I dunno what to tell you. He certainly has the composure and skill covered and for mine is pretty consistent. I personally think his height will have bugger all bearing on his ability to be very good at AFL level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand the reasoning on Aish & Kelly being down some lists due to being outside but I don't think it'll be as much of an issue as is made out. Kelly for a start said he's put a big focus on improving his inside game & no doubt Aish would as well if we drafted him. Even so, don't think of outside in terms of your Wayne Campbells & Farren Rays, I'd look at guys like Stevie J, Montagna, Stanton, Masten & even Swanny. All are high possession, damaging, link-up players. I've not seen Aish play in the flesh but with 87% efficiency this year, he could be extremely damaging.

At first i liked Bontempelli with his size and upside..Truth is he is a project player who could be anything but not straight away.Scharenberg is my pick..Has got some great qualities..a leader who will come in straight away..I like Lennon as well, but not at 6 he will still be available at 10..Freeman looks quick but not composed..So for me its Scharenberg at 6 and either Bontempelli/Lennon at 10...Surely Hine and Rendall will come up with somethin decent:)

I doubt Dekka will pick him at 6 but when you hear (dont believe everything you hear ;)) Melbourne are ultra keen I decided it had to be pick 6 and take what we will at 10 (for the phantom draft). You have read the write up so outside of that I dunno what to tell you. He certainly has the composure and skill covered and for mine is pretty consistent. I personally think his height will have bugger all bearing on his ability to be very good at AFL level
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ignite-melbourne/story-fnia3v71-1226754243295

If we take Bonts at 6 then Brissy take Lennon or McCarthy at 7 then we are almost guaranteed Freeman or Scharenberg if he's the one to slide?

If we take Bonts at 6 then Brissy take Lennon or McCarthy at 7 then we are almost guaranteed Freeman or Scharenberg if he's the one to slide?
There's a good chance of Brissy pulling the trigger on McCarthy, he won't be there at their 2nd selection and there is no one else in this draft to replace Jonathon Brown.. they could wait until the key position superdraft next year but Brown is fading fast and they may feel justified paying overs for the long haired galoot

Cries like a girl, should be right at home up there o_O

345lv03.jpg

There's a good chance of Brissy pulling the trigger on McCarthy, he won't be there at their 2nd selection and there is no one else in this draft to replace Jonathon Brown.. they could wait until the key position superdraft next year but Brown is fading fast and they may feel justified paying overs for the long haired galoot

Cries like a girl, should be right at home up there o_O

345lv03.jpg

They are probably hoping Paine can hold down the fort until the 2014 KP superdraft and then get that kid in ASAP.

McCarthy is a long term prospect anyway, won't have any AFL impact in the short term

They are probably hoping Paine can hold down the fort until the 2014

McCarthy is a long term prospect anyway, won't have any AFL impact in the short term
They are probably delusional..

and the best prospect at their pick next year may take just as long as McCarthy but will be a year behind him without the kind of upside this kid has, barely played the game and looks a gun.. there's no guarantees either way and they may decide to strike while the iron is hot o_O

They are probably delusional..

and the best prospect at their pick next year may take just as long as McCarthy but will be a year behind him without the kind of upside this kid has, barely played the game and looks a gun.. there's no guarantees either way and they may decide to strike while the iron is hot o_O

Yeah there are no guarantees in the drafting world, still don't believe for 1 second they would pass on scharenberg despite their need for KPF

Everone seems to think that GWS will take Boyd & Kelly, Saints take Billings & Suns take Kolodjashnij. Would Dogs take Aish or Scharenberg? If the latter, Pies surely take Aish at 6...? And sounds like Bontempelli at 10. If Dogs take Aish, then we have this conjecture :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Back