Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone notice on the coverage of the incident at how happy the racist Walker was in the background? He was smiling and geeing up Thilthorpe at how great it was that both their direct opponents would be going off with concussion.

The TV footage focused in on it and the commentators also pointed it out. One of the most appalling opposition player reactions I've seen on a footy field to players being seriously injured.

Oh what absolute crap. You have no idea what he was saying to Thilthorpe. He was revving him up in the heat of battle. There were 5 trainers and at least 5 port players tending to the 2 players. What did you want him to do, go and give them both a cuddle? The commentators said 'Tex is revving up Thilthorpe, saying come on mate, you've got an opportunity here" etc..... That in no way means he was saying it was great they both have concussion. Pull your head in FFS.

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 8.31.44 pm.png

Last edited:
Exactly, second or third offense.

As someone mentioned earlier the penalty has to be high so clubs won't pull this sort of malarky in a grand final.

Kenny, Davies and the Doc would happily wear a fine to get their player back out there in a GF - we just saw them do it.

Cmon settle down Crows Camp boy.

Here is Kane's totally fair and balanced take.

Those last examples highlighted in the video is just total targeted bullshit. Players get hit in the head every single week and don't go off for concussion checks, so why only highlight Port Adelaide? What about Worrell in the showdown? Tackled by Marshall, hit his head on the ground and got back up and played on. How about Selwood nearly every week getting bandaged up after some knock to his head.

The way Port have handled this case in particular stands out as being extremely poor and definitely on the more serious scale, but it does raise the question, how do you know or measure exactly how hard a player has to be hit in the head to go through concussion test? It was only a few years ago Dylan Roberton at St Kilda was interviewed at half time and had no idea where he was, how did that one slip through?

Has every single player that has been sling tackled this year gone through a concussion test?

Did anyone notice on the coverage of the incident at how happy the racist Walker was in the background? He was smiling and geeing up Thilthorpe at how great it was that both their direct opponents would be going off with concussion.

The TV footage focused in on it and the commentators also pointed it out. One of the most appalling opposition player reactions I've seen on a footy field to players being seriously injured.
what a dumb thing to say, more invested in projecting your own hatred onto other players instead of worrying about how little your club cares about it's players health

I'm pretty certain it wasn't an error. The simplest explanation is more likely.
if people think it's an error i've got something to sell them

Here's one, why wasn't Nathan Murphy taken off immediately for a concussion check last week after being hit in the head by Rioli, causing him to instantly fall to ground?

Here is Kane's totally fair and balanced take.

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with football media. I know the guy, he is a good bloke, could never have intentionally done anything wrong, needs to be forgiven.

Maybe, just maybe, not everyone in football is a top bloke?

This is a hangable (sackable) offence. The doctor needs to go at minimum. He ticked it off. Where is his explanation of his error in judgement? I mean we all make mistakes, but we all don't get 14 replays of the incident we are working on to make our decision then come to a decision at odds with 99% of the people watching said vision and keep our jobs.

He's a f@#king doctor, who gives a toss if he is a good bloke Kane-o? If he can't see that Aliir needed a proper assessment he is incompetent.

You can't be rubbing blokes out for 3 weeks for tackling and just let Port off with a fine for this disgraceful act.

Stripping premiership points and draft picks is very reasonable given the circumstances. The punishment needs to be so severe that no club ever considers breaching duty of care again.

The doctor in charge must be banned from the AFL for life. And the AFL must introduce independant medical assessments for all players.

If my employer ever did anything like this to me I'd be lawyering up and looking for a new job. Port should hang their heads in shame.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

port players would be well within there right to terminate employment citing a breach in health and safety due diligence. If I were Aliir I would be livid and be walking out on my contract expecting full pay out.

Head issues are not to be messed with.

Think of it akin to workers on a construction site with no safety protocols. Unions would be walking the workers off the job.

No. hypothetically Adelaide still lost, they shouldn't be awarded points.
But we would have lost because the opposition had an unfair advantage playing a player that shouldn’t have been on the park

I think they need to rule on this now while it isn’t a live issue

If we’d lost by a goal and Aliir played a blinder, I think there’d be calls for it to be over turned.

But we would have lost because the opposition had an unfair advantage playing a player that shouldn’t have been on the park

If we’d lost by a goal and Aliir played a blinder, I think there’d be calls for it to be over turned.

This doesn't make any sense

How's he gonna play a blinder if he's concussed? If anything it's an advantage to you for him to still be out there, as we saw on Saturday when Walker kicked 7.
Maybe you're also in need of a HIA

How's he gonna play a blinder if he's concussed? If anything it's an advantage to you for him to still be out there, as we saw on Saturday when Walker kicked 7.

what is a blinder

By the guidelines, Aliir was supposed to be off for 15 minutes.

He played illegally in those 15 minutes. He may not have been concussed.

In the SANFL when North had 19 players on the field they considered over turning the result. Ultimately they didn’t (after about 5 hours deliberation) but also docked North 4 points - equivalent of 8 in AFL as SANFL are 2 points for a win

So alternatively, are Port docked 8 points?

That means Davies, Fisher and Ken all need to go - as both Davies and Hinkley have backed Fisher publicly.

Season derailing sort of stuff this. Not to mention club fracturing. I really hope no-one was complicit and it was Fisher just being an idiot...but 3 times this has happened, and 3 times the club has defended him - even when they were fined in the past.

Need to just part ways with him, as he's clearly not competent enough/susceptible to influence if his judgement was affected by Ken and co. on the day.

if he made a mistake once, as a team you own the mistake together and learn from it (but don't cover it up or dismiss it)
make a mistake twice and you sack him (again don't cover it up or dismiss it)
make a mistake three times and all most go

cover it up and the Chairman comes down, on the instruction of the board, and sacks the lot

port players would be well within there right to terminate employment citing a breach in health and safety due diligence. If I were Aliir I would be livid and be walking out on my contract expecting full pay out.

Head issues are not to be messed with.

Think of it akin to workers on a construction site with no safety protocols. Unions would be walking the workers off the job.

Port outright betrayed Aliir in a vulnerable moment when he clearly wouldnt have been thinking straight. They not only betrayed him, but jones, their families, the AFL.

These players are people whose lives beyond football are a massive concern by the AFL. The AFL has to lay down a very tough punishment inclusive of suspensions. You cant honestly suspend players for dangerous tackles that dont hurt the bloke and then turn around and only punish a club who outright ignored the protocols, not once but 4 times in its history, and openly tried to manipulate the rules to allow Jones to play next week with a fine.

Not to mention, all this on the back of a large multimillion dollar lawsuit on concussion coming down the pipeline. The AFL can't walk into court with only a fine dished out to Port and argue its doing everything it can to assist with players lively hoods in the case of concussion. The other lawyer will laugh them out of court.

If I was a lawyer id be advising all clubs to watch this space, because if they only issue a fine, any player suspended can now appeal their sanction and have it over turned. Its that simple, no judge in the land will allow a two tiered punishment approach that punishes less severe actions more than the severe.

The AFL have a tricky week.

My thoughts
1. Ken Hinkley suspended for 3 weeks for breaching his duty of care
2. The club Dr suspended for 12 months
3. Port are suspended from the 1st and 2nd round of the draft for 2 years worth of allocations. (by my memory they dont have picks in the first round of the draft this year.)

The bottom line is it can not be just a fine under any circumstances.

Lets say Collingwood are playing Brisbane in the GF and Moore goes down in the first quarter with a severe head knock. Wakes up as he is being stretched off. If the punishment is just a fine, whats to say Moore can't just run back on. Collingwood can afford any fine dished out and they have Moore back for the game. There has to be a massive disincentive because although Port have been the only club to do this....and do it consistently at that, the AFL can not gift this precedent to any coach who is frustrated at losing a player.

Its a tough sanction I get it, but damn, based on what we know about concussions long term affects, surely its warranted.

By the guidelines, Aliir was supposed to be off for 15 minutes.

He played illegally in those 15 minutes. He may not have been concussed.

In the SANFL when North had 19 players on the field they considered over turning the result. Ultimately they didn’t (after about 5 hours deliberation) but also docked North 4 points - equivalent of 8 in AFL as SANFL are 2 points for a win

So alternatively, are Port docked 8 points?
Why wasnt Nathan Murphy off for 15 minutes last week after the Rioli head hit caused him to fall to ground?

Port outright betrayed Aliir in a vulnerable moment when he clearly wouldnt have been thinking straight. They not only betrayed him, but jones, their families, the AFL.

These players are people whose lives beyond football are a massive concern by the AFL. The AFL has to lay down a very tough punishment inclusive of suspensions. You cant honestly suspend players for dangerous tackles that dont hurt the bloke and then turn around and only punish a club who outright ignored the protocols, not once but 4 times in its history, and openly tried to manipulate the rules to allow Jones to play next week with a fine.

Not to mention, all this on the back of a large multimillion dollar lawsuit on concussion coming down the pipeline. The AFL can't walk into court with only a fine dished out to Port and argue its doing everything it can to assist with players lively hoods in the case of concussion. The other lawyer will laugh them out of court.

If I was a lawyer id be advising all clubs to watch this space, because if they only issue a fine, any player suspended can now appeal their sanction and have it over turned. Its that simple, no judge in the land will allow a two tiered punishment approach that punishes less severe actions more than the severe.

The AFL have a tricky week.

My thoughts
1. Ken Hinkley suspended for 3 weeks for breaching his duty of care
2. The club Dr suspended for 12 months
3. Port are suspended from the 1st and 2nd round of the draft for 2 years worth of allocations. (by my memory they dont have picks in the first round of the draft this year.)

The bottom line is it can not be just a fine under any circumstances.

Lets say Collingwood are playing Brisbane in the GF and Moore goes down in the first quarter with a severe head knock. Wakes up as he is being stretched off. If the punishment is just a fine, whats to say Moore can't just run back on. Collingwood can afford any fine dished out and they have Moore back for the game. There has to be a massive disincentive because although Port have been the only club to do this....and do it consistently at that, the AFL can not gift this precedent to any coach who is frustrated at losing a player.

Its a tough sanction I get it, but damn, based on what we know about concussions long term affects, surely its warranted.

youve gone too soft.

1. sack hinkley.
2. sack the doctor.
3. strip us of our first round pick this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back