Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenny was making tactical moves and trying to win the game for Port. He didn’t have time to be conducting tests on allir.

Master coaches like Ken just coach and leave things like concussion tests up to the doctors. If Ken had his finger in every pie he wouldn’t be one of coaching greats that he is today.
Umm, the game had stopped and 2 of his chess pieces were lying motionless.
What tactical moves would he be contemplating, Pepsi or Coke?

Umm, the game had stopped and 2 of his chess pieces were lying motionless.
What tactical moves would he be contemplating, Pepsi or Coke?

Probably how to stop a 40yr old from kicking 10 goals.

It’s laughable that people think poor Kenny should be carrying out his own concussion tests and overruling doctors.

Kenny was making tactical moves and trying to win the game for Port. He didn’t have time to be conducting tests on allir.

Master coaches like Ken just coach and leave things like concussion tests up to the doctors. If Ken had his finger in every pie he wouldn’t be one of coaching greats that he is today.

Ken is in a position of leadership (senior leadership), if he cannot process this situation then he has no business leading people!!!

Why didn't Josh Carr step in and get them off the field? Considering he's the actual coach and all.

Ken is in a position of leadership (senior leadership), if he cannot process this situation then he has no business leading people!!!

The doctor told him the player was good to go. I know port fans like to talk up Kenny like he is some sort of god, but it’s a bit of a stretch to claim he should overrule someone with a medical degrees on a medical matter. I don’t think Kenny is a doctor.

Imo Josh Carr was in a better position in the box with the screens replaying the incident. And he did nothing. Carr should be sacked.

Why didn't Josh Carr step in and get them off the field? Considering he's the actual coach and all.

For one he is not at ground level and two he is not the head coach. Carr's role is purely tactical during game play. Ken is still the head coach.

The protocols REQUIRED Aliir to be removed from the game. That is a fact. Read them. EVEN IF he did a scat5 and passed, the observable signs form a "clear diagnosis of concussion" over-ride this.

A scat5 to return to play when there is "possible" loss of consciousness because you can't tell on the replay. There was loss of consciousness and no protective action falling to ground in Aliir's case. The protocols dictate he has to be removed. There is no opinion required.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The doctor told him the player was good to go. I know port fans like to talk up Kenny like he is some sort of god, but it’s a bit of a stretch to claim he should overrule someone with a medical degrees on a medical matter. I don’t think Kenny is a doctor.

If Ken saw the same replays as all of us, which he would have, then he is culpable as well. He could see Aliir go floppy in mid air, at the very least he should have had a fierce conversation questioning why he wasn't doing the full assessment. But then Ken can just hide behind the doctor, the doctor can hide behind making a mistake and then nobody is accountable for this incredibly serious breaching of the rules of the game.

And we can all be played for suckers, thinking we don't know this was an attempt to put football in front of well being and that losing your most important defender was something to break the rules over.

The protocols REQUIRED Aliir to be removed from the game. That is a fact. Read them. EVEN IF he did a scat5 and passed, the observable signs form a "clear diagnosis of concussion" over-ride this.

A scat5 to return to play when there is "possible" loss of consciousness because you can't tell on the replay. There was loss of consciousness and no protective action falling to ground in Aliir's case. The protocols dictate he has to be removed. There is no opinion required.

Yeah the port dr didn’t follow the rules and was negligent. Kenny did nothing wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo Josh Carr was in a better position in the box with the screens replaying the incident. And he did nothing. Carr should be sacked.

I think Ken got a good look at the incident as he was mere meters away from it and there are 3 big screens as well as localized monitors in the dug out being replayed.

No doubt the doctor failed in this situation, but why was he compelled to lie or forgo the protocols?

Doesnt it just feel like its gonna get swept under the rug now? Media storm dies down and moves on, Port get fined 50k and the AFL end up paying it anyway.

If it is a fine it will be the poorest punishment ever handed out. We the fans miss some of our favourite players play, the reason we actually watch footy, due to dangerous tackles threatening the head. These players get a split second to make their moves and they are usually the tiniest of errors.

This doc and Port had 7 minutes to watch the same vision everyone else could see as a problem and nobody is getting suspended, just a bloody fine.

Will be a joke.

I agree, they cant overrule a doctor if the doctor feels that the player is affected by an head injury.

However if the doctor has not followed protocol or procedure, Then the coach can overall the decision based on duty of care. The coach is watching the game like anyone else and understands the situation that has occurred. In his mind, that incident should have raised serious concerns even before the doctors assessments.

Everyone here is getting their jollies off, jumping on the bandwagon of finger pointing and blame of the PAFC. And sure the doctor should be criticized but in a world of occupational health and safety, the issue shouldn't be laid responsible to one person alone. Everyone associated with that organisation has a duty of care.

The culture of the playing group is driven by the head coach. Only Ken has been at the helm during the rise of head injury awareness. Anything predating that should not be judged to today's standards.
No. The coach should never overrule the club doctor. Doctor Nick from Port Adelaide with his Trump University degree should have been sacked YEARS ago. He is clearly not up to the task. Unless you have evidence of wrongdoing, find something else to blame Hinkley for.

Everyone on here is pointing the finger at your shithouse club doctor. Port fans are trying to deflect that onto Hinkley. Cornes vouching for the doc just reinforced the point.

If Ken saw Aliir fall to the ground like a ragdoll in the replay that everyone at the ground saw then he is negligent too. He needs to know the protocols.

Ken was likely too busy strategising to be watching tv

Probably how to stop a 40yr old from kicking 10 goals.

It’s laughable that people think poor Kenny should be carrying out his own concussion tests and overruling doctors.
Not as laughable as your desperate attempts to obsolve Ken of any responsibility.
Sure you dont want Ken to stay so you can replace your questionable coach with Carr?

Ken was likely too busy strategising to be watching tv
Carr does all the strategising. For weeks, Ken has sat on the bench with a smug look on his face watching play. Then dancing like a teenage fan when they win.

When play was stopped the priority is the welfare of the player. Everyone's 1st thought MUST be to make sure the player's welfare is looked after. Play was stopped for a long time.

There are zero excuses. The Dr Failed on this occasion and Ken Failed too.

Not as laughable as your desperate attempts to obsolve Ken of any responsibility.
Sure you dont want Ken to stay so you can replace your questionable coach with Carr?

Grandpa fages just signed a 2yr deal. Thankfully we locked him away!

I'm not being funny here, and I wasn't listening closely, but on 5AA this morning i'm sure that Koch said something along the lines of 'well, there are lots of armchair doctors out there'. Or something to that effect.

Well, on this occasion, there were 50,000 armchair doctors that understood the situation and what the protocols where, and one doctor who didn't!

Doesnt it just feel like its gonna get swept under the rug now? Media storm dies down and moves on, Port get fined 50k and the AFL end up paying it anyway.

If it is a fine it will be the poorest punishment ever handed out. We the fans miss some of our favourite players play, the reason we actually watch footy, due to dangerous tackles threatening the head. These players get a split second to make their moves and they are usually the tiniest of errors.

This doc and Port had 7 minutes to watch the same vision everyone else could see as a problem and nobody is getting suspended, just a bloody fine.

Will be a joke.

AFL & Port could choose to sweep this under the rug in the short term and cop a modest fine which will upset everyone in this thread.

However in the long term, it will bite us in the arse once players start landing law suits over the matter. This will cost the club millions at which point the AFL would be forced to underwrite.

Lol, he doesnt have to overrule the Doc, he just says youre not going back on, and use any reasoning he likes.
Players get dragged all the time, Coaches dont get reprimanded for doing so.

Next..
I am trying to come to terms with the fact that I agree with you about something :think:
Firstly, I think your doctor should be sacked, or monitored closely, as this isn't the first time Port have done this.

As for Ken, I agree with you totally.
He doesn't need to be a doctor, he just needs to be human.
I am no doctor but after looking at that vision, I would not have put those boys back on.
Cleared, or not cleared, it was his choice to put them on.
I guess the 4 points were more important than the welfare of his players.

The disappointing thing for me is, I actually like Ken and thought there was a fair bit of love between him and his playing group.
I blame Koch for the pressure he is placing on Ken and his staff ;).

I dont really care who is to blame to be honest, this just shouldn't happen in todays game.

Get better Port! :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back