Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the 4 points were more important than the welfare of his players.

The disappointing thing for me is, I actually like Ken and thought there was a fair bit of love between him and his playing group.
I blame Koch for the pressure he is placing on Ken and his staff ;).

I dont really care who is to blame to be honest, this just shouldn't happen in todays game.

Get better Port! :mad:

Kochie needs to add the pressure as Ken isn't delivering the success the club has promised.

Ken is a career coach seeking an contract extension. He is going to do anything in his power to achieve this. Winning 13 games in a row helps his cause but any bad losses going forward will run the risk of upsetting the fan base who want his head.

If Ken cant handle this pressure, then there is the door.

Kochie needs to add the pressure as Ken isn't delivering the success the club has promised.

Ken is a career coach seeking an contract extension. He is going to do anything in his power to achieve this. Winning 13 games in a row helps his cause but any bad losses going forward will run the risk of upsetting the fan base who want his head.

If Ken cant handle this pressure, then there is the door.
And this is the disappointing part.
I thought Ken would have put the welfare of his players first, as I honestly thought they were the reason he would want to be at Port.
It wouldn't be for Koch's leadership.
It certainly wouldn't be for the loyal fanbase, who call for his head every second week.
Obviously not for Ports standing and strong reputation in the game.
If not for his love of the players, then why be there? He would get a coaching job elsewhere no doubt.

I just thought he would be the coach that was strong enough to say no to the doctor's recommendation.

Have the AFL players Association made a comment about the incident yet?

Shouldn't they be saying the health and well-being of players is of the up most importance and they are unhappy with how PAFC treated their members??

This is going to be a test case for the AFL to get their policies and enforcement up to scratch. It is clear now that independent doctors appointed by the AFL will need to be employed as clubs cannot be trusted to make the correct calls in an competitive environment. Probably should have been done in the first place but anyway here we are.

I wouldn’t be opposed to the AFL taking control of Port until it can be confirmed that all players are safe and there are appropriate systems in place to ensure they are not harmed further.

This is going to be a test case for the AFL to get their policies and enforcement up to scratch. It is clear now that independent doctors appointed by the AFL will need to be employed as clubs cannot be trusted to make the correct calls in an competitive environment. Probably should have been done in the first place but anyway here we are.
I thought there was already someone independent at the AFL that did review incidents in real time and send messages to team doctors on match day.

But Yes the goal should be to have one independent doctor at all AFL matches moving forward and it's their decision if the player needs to be have a HIA/Scat5 and or subbed off and put into concussion protocols

I thought there was already someone independent at the AFL that did review incidents in real time and send messages to team doctors on match day.

But Yes the goal should be to have one independent doctor at all AFL matches moving forward and it's their decision if the player needs to be have a HIA/Scat5 and or subbed off and put into concussion protocols

Kingy and someone else the other day said the AFL don't have them at every game, just at a few.

Obviously don't want to dip their pocket in too hard as it is the AFL but yeah you'd think that will be a massive change. Either follow their own rules which are clearly stipulated that they can contact a club doctor on gameday if they see vision that is clear to be concussion and/or have independant doctors in place for all teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingy and someone else the other day said the AFL don't have them at every game, just at a few.

Obviously don't want to dip their pocket in too hard as it is the AFL but yeah you'd think that will be a massive change. Either follow their own rules which are clearly stipulated that they can contact a club doctor on gameday if they see vision that is clear to be concussion and/or have independant doctors in place for all teams.
At minimum, the AFL need to have someone at every Port game. No other team seems to have had this happen to them and I think we're up to 6 times Port have been doing something shady.

Without going into specifics, my job involves me being a subject matter expert and clients paying me for professional advice.

On more than one occasion I’ve been asked to sign off on things that were questionable at best. In some cases they could have led to endangerment of life. There was pressure applied to give things the all clear to save time and to save budget, which of course I did not - And insisted on things being done properly to ensure safe outcomes. Port's treatment of players with head injuries, and their response to this latest saga reeks of the exactly same thing.

My point is, these kind of things don't happen by accident. No doubt this incident, and others in Port's recent past relating to head injuries, indicate a culture of pushing for win at all costs at the expense of less safe outcomes. In this case concussed players being put at elevated risk of serious long term health problems. I'd be very surprised if the experienced doctor had not received any systematic pressure whether communicated on the night or implied through the culture of the football club.

This almost certainly goes deeper than just the doctor, who they are now trying to throw under the bus to get themselves off the hook and take the focus off their own ingrained cultural issues of not taking player welfare seriously. Koch potting Mayes' partner this morning was insensitive and another terrible sign for how seriously they treat this issue, even after all that has happened over the last few days he still couldn't resist. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
On more than one occasion I’ve been asked to sign off on things that were questionable at best.
Same here actually.

And I've always signed off on it too, lol.

Dollar dollar bills y'all!

Probably how to stop a 40yr old from kicking 10 goals.

It’s laughable that people think poor Kenny should be carrying out his own concussion tests and overruling doctors.
Hang on…

So you are saying that if you are the coach of a footy team and you see two of your players smash head first into each other and both fall to the ground making ZERO attempts to break their own fall cause they are clearly out cold.. then lay in a tonic state for several seconds which is yet another massive red flag pointing to being KO’d… so clearly both showing all signs of being totally KO’d.

But then 5 minutes later the doc says one of them is right to go back on.. and in that 5 minutes you’ve seen the replay of the collision on the big screen at the ground and the computer monitors right next to you..

Are you seriously suggesting you’d go “oh, really, ok, thats great, lets send him on then”..

The very rules themselves state that, tests or no tests, those players ARE NOT allowed to return to the field given the way they fell to the ground and showed all the classical signs of being KO’d.

If it was me.. i couldnt give a flying fxxk what the doc says.. that doctor is clearly not thinking straight.

And in this case.. Ken Hinkley wouldve had every right to overrule him and take the far more conservative and risk averse approach..

he would be being praised by all and sundry right now if he hadve said “thanks doc, but no thanks” to the doctor and instead taken this risk averse approach..

Typical AFL, won't spend a cent extra than they have to and now this incident has happened will gladly hand out punishment even though that had the ability to stop it from happening in the first place.

Also not surprising at all that AFL house and no eyes on the Showdown, always been a lack of respect there. If this same incident happened in Carlton v Collingwood Friday night someone would have made a call no doubt and told them to get those players off and that club wouldn't be facing as extreme punishment that will likely go Port's way

The local media have been running cover today for port so maybe the club has got in first...maybe the sanctions incoming are worse than what has been spitballed and they want to set a narrative of being overly punished for what they acknowledged they erred on?.

Just spitballing

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back