Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Jacobs has been given another 1yr contract, he did nothing last yea.......r
He did play14 games and at his age that usually means another contract.
Based on his output, a 1 yr contract is about right.

If Melbourne do dramatically improve this year, are commentators and broader media, going to continually mention the early draft picks, like they crap on about our "1st rounders"....nah they'll probably just crap on about Roos being the messiah!

If Melbourne do dramatically improve this year, are commentators and broader media, going to continually mention the early draft picks, like they crap on about our "1st rounders"....nah they'll probably just crap on about Roos being the messiah!
If Melbourne get their shit together, they deserve all the praise they get.

That club is cursed. Any glory is to be seen as a victory against the devil.

If Melbourne get their shit together, they deserve all the praise they get.

That club is cursed. Any glory is to be seen as a victory against the devil.
Stuffing up so many top draft picks is a situation of their own making and nothing to do with voodoo or the sky fairy's nemesis.

Stuffing up so many top draft picks is a situation of their own making and nothing to do with voodoo or the sky fairy's nemesis.
No doubt, but there's a blog somewhere in the interweb I've been trying to find for 5 mins but gave up which shows all the fail moments of the club since their last finals appearance. Fair bit of bad luck amongst the shit decisions.

At this mature point in our cycle only stars and big game first 18 types need apply, unless they're a promising kid who's happy to wait his turn. Undeveloped list cloggers who wouldn't improve our 22 aren't a huge need for us right now.

Paddy Ryder says :thumbsu:

So you don't believe Paddy Ryder is good enough to be in our first 18? o_O
Jeez! You are being too one dimensional! Maybe confused with the sarcastic "Joe Blow says Hi"
My post was another way of agreeing with FKV. That is exactly what we did this year during trade period, bring in an A grade player, instead of list cloggers, as has occurred in past years.

Paddy Ryder agrees! :thumbsu:

I feel like we're past the point of bringing in "maybe he'll be better than our reserves players in that position who can't get a game" players.

At this mature point in our cycle only stars and big game first 18 types need apply, unless they're a promising kid who's happy to wait his turn. Undeveloped list cloggers who wouldn't improve our 22 aren't a huge need for us right now.

I've heard on the grapevine we may still be well into a player who went pretty early in the 2013 draft. Apparently we told this player at the time we were going to take him if he was still there at our first pick, but then we did a swap of picks to get Polec and we slipped too far down the draft order anyway. I've just heard we've kept in close contact since. This is the sort of targeted recruiting I'm more than happy with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but Boak, Hartlett, Wingard and Wines, that's one hellova quartet. If any team can do that consecutively I'll go jump and then add that to all the top 10's that we have traded in over the last few years and it just exacerbates it for all the other teams, I still pinch myself.

I've heard on the grapevine we may still be well into a player who went pretty early in the 2013 draft. Apparently we told this player at the time we were going to take him if he was still there at our first pick, but then we did a swap of picks to get Polec and we slipped too far down the draft order anyway. I've just heard we've kept in close contact since. This is the sort of targeted recruiting I'm more than happy with.
Schulz was a classic example of us doing this in the past There have been others.

Yeah but Boak, Hartlett, Wingard and Wines, that's one hellova quartet. If any team can do that consecutively I'll go jump and then add that to all the top 10's that we have traded in over the last few years and it just exacerbates it for all the other teams, I still pinch myself.
GC and GWS have had the opportunity to do this.

Old man Walsh thinks the AFL is too much of a quick paced running game and he wants it slowed down. o_O

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-19/walsh-wont-prolong-skipper-call

who will captain the AFL club next season.

But he's adamant the AFL's interchange cap should be reduced, placing him at odds with some other senior coaches.

Walsh says his decision on who will lead the Crows next season "won't be a long, drawn-out process".

But the fledgling head coach wants to see how incumbent skipper Nathan van Berlo, who missed the entire 2014 season because of an Achilles injury, and five other players respond in match simulation drills after Christmas.

Walsh says van Berlo and fellow leadership group members Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane, Scott Thompson, Daniel Talia and Taylor Walker have impressed him.

"I just want to get to know them a little bit better and just see exactly where that sits, there is nothing mysterious in it," Walsh told reporters on Friday.

"We'll get a lot more into the match simulation training (after Christmas) and then you start to see who the real leaders are in relation to communication."

Walsh said the fact Dangerfield and Sloane had yet to commit to the Crows beyond next season won't factor into his decision.

The Victorian-born duo is expected to field free agency offers from rival clubs.

Meanwhile, Walsh called for the AFL to reduce the current cap of 120 interchanges a game to better protect players from injury.

Many coaches want the cap, introduced last year, to be abolished.

But Walsh favoured reducing it to 80 a match, noting the AFL's recent transformation to a high-intensity running game could be responsible for more player injuries and that a cap set at 80 could slow things down.

"If they really want to make a change, they have got to bite even more off the interchange so it becomes harder and harder to play that style," he said.

"I'm not a fan of the interchange. I think it changed our game too dramatically - we went from a sport where in a 10-year period there was probably 20 interchanges in a game to 150.

"And it has never been part of our sport."

Walsh, a long-time assistant coach who was appointed Adelaide's coach last October, said the AFL knew his view.

"Maybe just because I was an assistant coach my voice probably didn't get heard," he said.

"But there are a number of coaches within the industry who feel that the interchange cap should come back.

"I was radical. I would rather go back to 80 interchanges."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-19/walsh-wont-prolong-skipper-call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back