Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Impey a likely inclusion? Would think you'll need someone who can shut down small pacey forwards especially with Walters added to the mix. He completely blanketed Ballas as you say and would surely be a better match up than say Jasper Pittard.

I would hope we bring Impey in. We targeted him in the draft purely because apart from Jonas we didn't have anyone who could play a small defensive shutdown role.

I'm pretty sure Impey has just been rested late in this season and will be back in. If not we're looking at a combination of Pittard and O'Shea for one of Walters and Ballantyne which isn't a good match up for us.

Sneak into 4th? We have been in the top 4 for most of 2014 and at the end of round 22, are still in the top 4.

Geelong will be a training run for Hawthorn in the qualifying final. You'll then face a tough game against North Melbourne or Essendon.

I'll give it to Geelong, they are good at finding a way to win in close games, but bar knocking Freo off at KP when Freo were down, they haven't had an impressive win since Hawthorn in round 5.

Maybe against North a few weeks ago, but North are up and down.

Lose to an in form Port and freo will be shunted down to 5th.
A distinct possibility and about the right spot for a patchy season.

Sorry, Geelong is the very definition of patchy. Two convincing wins this year against quality sides (round 5 and round 19). That's it.

Looking forward to this game.

Both these teams would probably be a bit dirty on themselves for allowing themselves to be in the position where they have to win the last game to finish top 4. They both are good enough to play top 4 footy.

This is easily the best top final 5 line-up that I can remember. All quality sides, all very watchable, all playing accountable, hard running football with a strong defensive element.

Could be the best finals series ever.

(that doesn't have Carlton as a flag poss):D

Yep Port have everything going for them this game, they should win comfortably. They are back to May champions form, have timed their run to perfection, everyone on the list healthy, 8 day vs 6 day break. No team that is a serious finals contender should lose from their position.

Both these teams would probably be a bit dirty on themselves for allowing themselves to be in the position where they have to win the last game to finish top 4. They both are good enough to play top 4 footy.

If you look at it in a weird sort of way, we actually are starting finals a week early with a top 5 double chance.

The winner of Port and Freo get to keep their double chance, the loser uses up their lifeline and is dropped into sudden death finals footy next week.

Ports advantage with 8 day vs 6 day break, Freo with home ground advantage. Hopefully both teams can bandage up and put their best available 22 forward - and this will be a great match.

But with Fyfe's ban and a possibility of no Pav, Barlow, McPharlin, Mzungu (Injured last minute, may just be cramp?) or Spurr (subbed out and iced up quad), well, Port will have a distinct advantage.

Port fans, if you do win this, I hope that it shows a return to the form of the first half of the season, that was amazing. But if Freo do get over the line, we might just be peaking at the right time.

What are you on about?

Pav is not injured. One player was going to get rested after the Port result against Carlton and it was always going to be Pav. McPharlin has been out of the side most of the year and Silvagni has been rock solid, particularly last week against Hawthorn (held Gunston to 1 goal). Mzungu had cramp at the end of the game. Ross said Spurr was fine. Very confident that Barlow will play.

Only player missing is Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little rossy wrote the book on losing grand finals. Can't ever see this changing TBH.
I don't write on forums much but the long history of Geelong misses form the 60's to the 2000's should create empathy with freo "just sayin". By the way went to Geelong last years final and want to say thanks to the great reception b4 and aft got from cats fan.

Port had a terrible run over a 6 week period when they only won the 1 game. And for the most part, they were playing well under the standard that is needed for finals, there's no doubt about that. However, go back and analyse the results:... worthy of obtaining 4th spot (and the double chance) on the ladder.
great post

Remove this Banner Ad

Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back