Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's unfair to say that the majority of people left on this forum don't enjoy a win - they prefer to stick to the negative. Misery loves company.
Nah miserable are the ones who think "this time it's different". It's been 12 years, give it a rest already. We had our chance and we shat the bed, we are clearly off the boil right now and lacking quality players in several key areas. If we miss the finals this year, it's disheartening to know we sold our draft picks for recycled average players like Rat.

This win doesn’t feel like a win. It just feels like eating a cold bowl of soup. It gets the gut full and just does that. I’m so sick of these up-and-down performances, and yes, we are at the point of the season where we just have to get wins on the board, but we are going backwards. Richmond tonight carved us up like ham at Christmas lunch. Their ability to score coast to coast from D50 to F50 and waltz through the damn ****ing corridor makes me sick. If Richmond had had enough in the tank, they would have won, imo, and created the biggest boilover in a long time. Carlton up next, and there isn’t enough holy water in the state to protect as the beatdown will get on Friday. I feel flat, like, when is this going to end? Surely a 90-point beatdown would fix that, but who knows? It feels like the end isn’t coming with Ken and the boys club. Speaking of the boys, What’s up with Chris Davies and his application for the Richmond CEO job that convinced no one in the mainstream media to speak about it? I find that very odd, but anyway, another Fr. Ken Hinkley at the helm of our football club. God help us all.
Every team does this to us and have for years when we are not on top in the game.

Does anyone know what happened in Logan Evans draft year for him not to be taken?

Early days, but has shown a lot.
Found this write up.

Evans was considered a potential top 25 prospect at one point of his top-age season, but somewhat fell off the radar as the year progressed. He remained in Port Adelaide’s sights, as the Power listed him via their SANFL program from Norwood and got him up to speed with the system. Now, the rangy left-footed defender gets his chance to showcase the traits which once saw him rated so highly.

--

2023 AFL DRAFT PROFILE

STRENGTHS:

• Clean hands
  • Composure
  • Intercepting
  • Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
  • Contested work

Logan Evans is a player with all the traits to make it to the next level, it is just about putting the pieces together. His ball use and intercept game in the defensive half of the ground stood out across multiple SANFL levels this year, earning a spot in the state Under 18 team.

Though his national carnival was not as productive as many might have hoped coming in, he still played an important role deep in defence. His clean hands at both ground level and in the air were important, and his composure when making decisions was generally sound.

Evans can tend to float in and out of matches and is very much an outside user, with contested work his next main improvement. Though, that is also relative to having played a total of 14 games in the Redlegs' League and Reserves sides. His can compete and impact third-up.

DRAFT RANGE: Late

I don't understand all the hate mail re Charlie Dixon. He kicked 4.2 last night which is what he is there for. Is he past his best? obviously yes, should he play next year? probably not, will he kick four goals again next week? who knows but that is next year and next week. Last night Charlie did the job he was picked to do. It seems that some people want to blame Charlie Dixon for the entire team's poor performance. As an example Ollie Lord was woeful last night and that was not down to Charlie Dixon. From what I have seen Ollie is not and never will be a dominant key forward at AFL level as he simply lacks the ability to impose himself on the game. I am happy to be proved wrong re Ollie but even when Charlie is not there he still struggles to make any impact. In three games in which Charlie was absent Ollie kicked just three goals and that isn't enough from a 197cm forward.

Put this behind us and move on to Carlton.

Richmond went as most people expected outside of a 2nd string Richmond being in the game at 3/4 time and then losing Nankervis. That was game over. The usual players that excel in these games exceled.

Ports finals series starts this week. We can drop 2 games of the next 5.

Are you getting the crowd at the game confused with the people on this forum?
We all deep down want to see our team play well. There’s no question about it. But a win against a depleted Richmond when it took three quarters to really shake them off, is not going to convince people that this version of Kenny’s boys is going to be different this time and go on to get it done. The Bulldogs win and before that, Geelong and Essendon wins, were the last times most Port supporters would allow those final flickers of hope to get them excited again. We would need to win 4 out of our next 5 and do so playing some ruthless, efficient and powerful footy to reinstate any hope in me that this year could be different. And even then, I would be a naive fool to feel that way. Nothing we have shown this year says this will be the year. Surely, you see that too.

I don't understand all the hate mail re Charlie Dixon. He kicked 4.2 last night which is what he is there for. Is he past his best? obviously yes, should he play next year? probably not, will he kick four goals again next week? who knows but that is next year and next week. Last night Charlie did the job he was picked to do. It seems that some people want to blame Charlie Dixon for the entire team's poor performance. As an example Ollie Lord was woeful last night and that was not down to Charlie Dixon. From what I have seen Ollie is not and never will be a dominant key forward at AFL level as he simply lacks the ability to impose himself on the game. I am happy to be proved wrong re Ollie but even when Charlie is not there he still struggles to make any impact. In three games in which Charlie was absent Ollie kicked just three goals and that isn't enough from a 197cm forward.
Charlie, when fit, is our best 'contested type' forward by a lot. Lord doesn't understand how to play football imo. He is a very average footballer & can't see him as an effective replacement for Dix. And he needs to be.

Richmond went as most people expected outside of a 2nd string Richmond being in the game at 3/4 time and then losing Nankervis. That was game over. The usual players that excel in these games exceled.

Agreed. We have to win the showdown and beat two from Carlton (Marvel), Sydney (AO), Melbourne (MCG) and Fremantle (Optus). A tall order given our scratchy form but we live in hope.

Really rate Nankervis & think his impact is generally underrated. Game changed after he was subbed out

I don’t understand the Lord pile on. He is playing in a system where he is the heir apparent for another bloke that plays from behind. He attacks the ball fiercely and is rarely outmarked. He is 20-21 and played <20 Leauge matches, he is tracking well, would be interesting to see him in another forward setup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We hate him because he's been a useless bollard for ages and actively insults the fan base repeatedly to defend daddy donuts

This game review thread is about as exciting as the crowd were last night.

Key Takeaways

- The Tigers VFL squad didn’t disgrace themselves away from home

- It’s either Dixon, or Lord we can’t play both.

- Sweet & BZT have so far proven to be good pickups, Rat not so much.

- Starting all of AA, BZT & Rat is football suicide, we just have to accept that it doesn’t work.

- Bergman is an outstanding mid sized defender, keep him there.

- 17 other List Managers will be asking the same question, ‘“How did we miss Logan Evans”?

- I wanted Narkle delisted, but our forward line looks much more potent with him in it. Quinton, Rioli & Frankie for mine, with DBJ relegated to the bench or Elizabeth Oval.

I don't think it's unfair to say that the majority of people left on this forum don't enjoy a win - they prefer to stick to the negative. Misery loves company.
I don't think you can see the woods for the trees.

It is completely unfair to say that people on this site don't love a good win.

Misery may well love company but in order to get to misery stamping out all hope is a good way to get there.

Easy fix for Lord - Send him to Thilthorp's gym for 8 months, melt the piss cups and tell him to actually stand infront of his man.

We could give the wannabe car blogger bogan his best wishes before next season.

I'd even play clurey over rat right now.
Williams is depth at best now
I agree. A fit McKenzie would be perfect to complement Aliir and BZT for the rest of the season. Clurey not that far behind. The problem with Esava is that you can’t trust that he will do the right thing all the time. Footy players need to have trust in one another. It’d be a nightmare playing alongside him in that defence.

Easy fix for Lord - Send him to Thilthorp's gym for 8 months, melt the piss cups and tell him to actually stand infront of his man.

We could give the wannabe car blogger bogan his best wishes before next season.
This is what it needs. He has some talent. But he must be stronger and use his strength by playing in front of his man so that he can attack the ball with a clear line of sight and get both hands to the footy. Just look at the way he brought the ball to ground for Evans’ goal in the third. That is the example of what should be expected from him on a consistent basis. To me, it looked like he was doing this quite well and regularly last year. It hasn’t been the case in any of his games this year.

Thought the first half of the game was hard to watch. Highlights in the second half were Bergman, George, Logan Evans, Sweet, Dixon and Ollie. Good to see some strong overhead marks in wet conditions.

Williams too slow, Esava giving Pittard energy, wasn't one of JHF's best but at his age he's not going to be in the best every week.

Carlton will kill us next week if we start how we began tonight but this season isn't making a lot of sense - Geelong lose at home against the Doggies who we thrashed.
Strangely negative post given some of your other offerings in this thread.

Kicking opportunistic goals are part of being a forward and a handy trait he has, Dixon got away with two in the back frees tonight that were blatant he's cooked and I can't wait until he's pissed off & forgotten.
Being opportunistic isn’t a criticism. But it isn’t what we are primarily wanting from him. It’s also what crumbing forwards should be doing.

My point is, maybe people are overrating his game in that final.

Charlie, when fit, is our best 'contested type' forward by a lot. Lord doesn't understand how to play football imo. He is a very average footballer & can't see him as an effective replacement for Dix. And he needs to be.
Unlike Lord, Scully has had some big games and big hauls of goals at SANFL and under age level. Lord even when playing at his best in the SANFL was a 1-2 goal per game forward. The performance against Brisbane was the one exception in his career so far. It’s more likely IMO that Scully could become that dominant forward although he’s got a lot of development still required to get there. Scully is also a far better second ruck option from what we’ve seen so far.

MG and Scully should work in the long term. It’s then a question of whether Marshall and Lord are adequate enough third talls. Marshall is, with Lord as depth if he stays around.

We will need Walsh to keep developing as a key defender. He could be a star IMO. I get why we’re trying him forward at the moment, but hopefully we settle him down at FB or CHB next year.

I don’t understand the Lord pile on. He is playing in a system where he is the heir apparent for another bloke that plays from behind. He attacks the ball fiercely and is rarely outmarked. He is 20-21 and played <20 Leauge matches, he is tracking well, would be interesting to see him in another forward setup.
I think it is justified after last nights game. He had 2 kicks 1 mark and a goal.

One of those kicks and the goal came from a free down the ground so in 3 quarters of footy he had 1 kick 1 mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back