Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I was most pleased with Burgoyne and Evans.

Burgoyne looks like he is improving weekly, very composed and love his want to attack. His skills have improved since the start of the year.

Evans is a jet, our recruitment team have found another late gem like Houston. Gonna be elite

On PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Ratugolea v Jasper 2Dads comparisons are right on the money, but Jasper could at least play the occasional good qtr here and there whilst Esava is a bomb scare moment virtually every time he or his opponent are any where near the ball as he clearly lacks genuine footy nous, and on what he has displayed so far he could make the latter days of Tom Jonas look peak Alex Rance.

It's unfortunately a near certainty if he remains in the line up his decision making or more to the point the lack there of will cost the team goals at crucial times in the forth coming very tough group of games, and his chances of performing even adequately under the pressure of a knock out final (if we get that far) wouldn't bode well at all.

On the plus side Logan Evans is looking like a real good find!

I don't understand all the hate mail re Charlie Dixon. He kicked 4.2 last night which is what he is there for. Is he past his best? obviously yes, should he play next year? probably not, will he kick four goals again next week? who knows but that is next year and next week. Last night Charlie did the job he was picked to do. It seems that some people want to blame Charlie Dixon for the entire team's poor performance. As an example Ollie Lord was woeful last night and that was not down to Charlie Dixon. From what I have seen Ollie is not and never will be a dominant key forward at AFL level as he simply lacks the ability to impose himself on the game. I am happy to be proved wrong re Ollie but even when Charlie is not there he still struggles to make any impact. In three games in which Charlie was absent Ollie kicked just three goals and that isn't enough from a 197cm forward.
He's been fine as a player though if its true he has refused ruck duties thats a selfish approach.

Just needs to shut the **** up and stop potting the fans that pay his wage.

I hate dixon with a passion , spoilt brat with culture destroying attitude

I'm not a fan of his 'football isn't important' schtick but he's one of the handful of players who gives relentless and unconditional effort at every contest, every week. We'd be a much better team if everyone followed his lead on that.

MG and Scully should work in the long term. It’s then a question of whether Marshall and Lord are adequate enough third talls. Marshall is, with Lord as depth if he stays around.

Marshall isn't adequate, he's a non competitor and a classic player who will let you down when it matters. Lord has the eye of the tiger and needs to be persisted with.

Did he? He spent most of the night playingfrom behind.. and we spend most of the night kicking on his head whilst he played from behind and we missed hitting up other targets..

This. It’s ridiculous how obvious this team tactic is to the opposing team when Dixon plays. As predictable as our high press and as easy to work around.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This. It’s ridiculous how obvious this team tactic is to the opposing team when Dixon plays. As predictable as our high press and as easy to work around.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Watching Richmond slice and dice our press makes me shudder as to what the next 5 sides will do to us..

They made it look so easy at times.

A team like Richmond last night with lots of young players trying to prove themselves and with absolutely nothing to lose in the bigger picture can be somewhat dangerous at times. They had some good moments but it never really felt like we were going to lose. There's nothing much to read into the performance either way.

Did he? He spent most of the night playingfrom behind.. and we spend most of the night kicking on his head whilst he played from behind and we missed hitting up other targets..
Yep, against a well organised defence that crap from behind wont fly. He will be exposed badly against Weitering next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being opportunistic isn’t a criticism. But it isn’t what we are primarily wanting from him. It’s also what crumbing forwards should be doing.

My point is, maybe people are overrating his game in that final.
I'm not saying he can't be dropped he's just a developing KPF that needs a patient approach not LORD IS TERRIBLE! in matchday thread bedwetting. Anyway it'd be nice to see these guys coached to take front position once in a while.

Perhaps they could talk about positioning with the 4 time AA premiership captain hall of fame CHF walking the halls.. of course the old deflated ball bag we call a coach would need to swallow his 'pride'.

Balta is an athletic beast, but is a pea brain and is prone to the mistakes Esava makes. Dixon capitalised with height and reach when Balta played in front.

Marshall isn't adequate, he's a non competitor and a classic player who will let you down when it matters. Lord has the eye of the tiger and needs to be persisted with.

Not too concerned with him having the eye of the tiger I would settle for him having the football in his hands more often.

Am I the only one who thinks that Zak Butters had an off night last night? He got the footy often enough but didn't get full value for it. He tried to do too much and had to hurry his work. That may be the fault of those around him but I thought he made errors.

Dyl Williams had a HUGE offseason two ago, benefited from that enormously in 2023 and probably regressed back to a lighter offseason. Half way through the year probably realised and did some work. I have confidence he will again have a huge off season and lose the love handles again.

Again, those knocking Lord for not showing or developing as we would wish. Second year blues is a thing and you build through that, see Williams above. It’s hard to sustain what’s required for a young bloke. A brief lul and a realisation to hit the offseason will see these lads bounce back. I have said elsewhere Lord is modelling his game on a bloke who also plays from behind, however Lords best has been leading into the flight of the pill and his athleticism to crumb and distribute from the ground ball.

Let’s see both these lads in a non Ken Hinkley lead system in 2025 before we lose all faith.

Am I the only one who thinks that Zak Butters had an off night last night? He got the footy often enough but didn't get full value for it. He tried to do too much and had to hurry his work. That may be the fault of those around him but I thought he made errors.

He's been off for quite a while now after a good start to the season. Rozee likewise hasn't been much good since his injury and even JHF is in and out of games now that they're playing him forward more.

If you looked at the last 6-8 weeks in isolation you'd have no choice but to conclude that Ollie Wines is our best midfielder, which is quite a turn of events given where a lot of people had him at the start of the year.

He's been off for quite a while now after a good start to the season. Rozee likewise hasn't been much good since his injury and even JHF is in and out of games now that they're playing him forward more.

If you looked at the last 6-8 weeks in isolation you'd have no choice but to conclude that Ollie Wines is our best midfielder, which is quite a turn of events given where a lot of people had him at the start of the year.
Rozee, Butters and JHF have all played well in the same game maybe 3-4 times this year. Essendon and Bulldogs games the only ones that clearly spring to my mind.

He's been fine as a player though if its true he has refused ruck duties thats a selfish approach.

Just needs to shut the **** up and stop potting the fans that pay his wage.

He rucked last week and he rucked last night. How has he refused ruck duties?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back