Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2002
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
OK Port stood by their principles on Stevans, fair enough that's their call.

What amazes me though is that they then turn around and swap pick 40 something for Forrster-Night and then yesterday they take Josh Mahoney from Williamstown in the PSD.

Based on this pick 17 and say Scotland was a great deal. Obviously they look for something else over at Port either that or the reports of a personal issue between Williams and Stevans is correct.

Whatever, Port are the biggest chumps in the AFL at the moment.

Originally posted by morgoth

Your still going on about it!!!! Someones obsessed arent they!

What amazes me though is that they then turn around and swap pick 40 something for Forrster-Night and then yesterday they take Josh Mahoney from Williamstown in the PSD.

RFK fills a need. Mahoney.....no comment.

And for someone who doesnt care about Port Adelaide or the Stevens deal...youve written more about both than just about any other person in the last 3 months.

Based on this pick 17 and say Scotland was a great deal. Obviously they look for something else over at Port either that or the reports of a personal issue between Williams and Stevans is correct.

I really can;t understand how people don;t see what Port has done. It has set a precedent to say: we won;t be rear-ended no matter what the circumstances. Why would they help the team that put them out of the finals series and lose out on a deal?? Better just to offload him to a useless team where he can spend the rest of his career regretting the move.

Forster-Knight is not a bad stopper and they need some ready made players to play in the back-half who are younger than 25.

Mahoney deserves his shot. He has been a very solid performer in the VFL and would be a handy backup/bench player. Good luck to him.

Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Originally posted by Macca19

And for someone who doesnt care about Port Adelaide or the Stevens deal...youve written more about both than just about any other person in the last 3 months.

Must be quiet down Linton St way.:)

Yep.

I dare say that their combined salary as draftees would be much the same as Scotland's now..

Based on this pick 17 and say Scotland was a great deal.
For you, yeah.

But now, we have acquired the apparently match ready RFK & Mahoney for very little, and one of our greatest competitors doesn't have a 23 year old Buckley/Woewodin susbtitute on their list ready to go. Pick 17 seems to be about the real difference in this situation, and pick 17 for Nick Stevens is a joke deal.

Obviously they look for something else over at Port either that or the reports of a personal issue between Williams and Stevans is correct.
Which of RFK & Mahoney would directly compare Scotland's style of play to? My thinking is that Mahoney is on our list as a safety for Josh Francou not returning at all well. RFK is a back pocket player.

These are not Stevens clones. If anyone is, its Surjan, and hey, we got him on the absolute cheap.

Yeah, to come out of this offseason with Chaplin & Surjan is a real screw up, isn't it.

Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
I really can;t understand how people don;t see what Port has done. It has set a precedent to say: we won;t be rear-ended no matter what the circumstances. Why would they help the team that put them out of the finals series and lose out on a deal?? Better just to offload him to a useless team where he can spend the rest of his career regretting the move.

Forster-Knight is not a bad stopper and they need some ready made players to play in the back-half who are younger than 25.

Mahoney deserves his shot. He has been a very solid performer in the VFL and would be a handy backup/bench player. Good luck to him.

The thing is people DO see what Port has done. Yes, they have set a precedent in saying they will not be rear ended no matter what the cirumstances and no matter how little sense it makes and how detrimental it is to the club's list. Agreed.

Fortunately or unfortunately football is now a business and no-one can change that. Imagine if this example occured in the Premier League. A couple of years ago Anelka one of Arsenal's stars wants a transfer to a rival club. Do Arsenal take the millions pounds or let him go on free transfer? Of course they take the money. They then use it wisely. If Port used pick 17 to get an emerging star and Scotland delivered that would get up Collingwood's nose far more than denying them Stevens who may or may not have delivered in a new team.

As for Mahoney, it looks like you're about the only person who can see any good in that selection. I'll leave it at that.

Port need to move into the 21st century. They might not have been 'rear-ended' but their list is far poorer for the decision.

Get over this Stevens saga, for chrissake!!! I agree that the whole thing was messy etc, but move on and look forward to next season. Port has to start worrying about NOT choking in finals, Collingwood needs to stop settling for 2nd best and Carlton needs to wins some games.

Concentrate on what you have to do, not what you should have done doing the trade period!:)

He had had three or four shots already. He is nothing more than a VFL star that can't make it at AFL level.

I would refer Scotland over Mahoney, and Forster- Knight, any day.

Are Port about winning premierships here, or simply about being ****ed off that a player wants to leave the club, so they try and **** him over as much as possible?

Originally posted by Porthos
But now, we have acquired the apparently match ready RFK & Mahoney for very little, and one of our greatest competitors doesn't have a 23 year old Buckley/Woewodin susbtitute on their list ready to go. Pick 17 seems to be about the real difference in this situation, and pick 17 for Nick Stevens is a joke deal.
All contrary to your own thoughts prior to the trade "breakdown" when you were looking for quality rather than more flankers or average midfielders. The reality is you coluld have had RFK AND Scotland (or Betheras who is better than Mahoney and pick 35) plus pick 17. As I have said all along though, I'm happy with the picks given Stevens is a midfielder. He may be, as you say, a Woewodin replacement but he will never be a Buckley replacement and we already have Woewodin replacements.

Whatevr you may think of the pre season and rookie draft choices of Port Adelaide you really have to say that it has absolutely nothing to do with Nick Stevens.

Nick Stevens wasn't traded by Port to prevent him from going to Collinwood - a much more serious threat to a Port Adelaide Premiership than Carlton will be for the next few years.

When all is said and done - you don't draft to get players - you draft to get premierships.

And Besides - would you give up your first round draft pick to make collingwood suffer.

I mean I would strongly consider it ....

;)

Who really cares people? Collingwood went and picked up Simon Hawking in the pre season draft didnt they? didnt even play one senior game....... If Mahoney only plays 1 game then he has achieved more than that. Anyway why would Port want to give Nick Stevens to collingwood so they can improve alot more? Port are smart enough to know that if Stevens wanted out of there then they aint dealing with collingwood because they need to improve...notice how they are happy he went to carlton (cos they are rock bottom) and if Nick went to Collingwood well they might have just snuck a flaG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the people down on Port for not trading Stevens are collingwood supporters - smacks of sour grapes to me.

It was a business decision -- just one that was more long term than short term. Remember, on average 1/3 of a clubs personell is up for contract renewel every year. They may have given up pick 17 and Scotland, but what if it saves them being dudded for, say, a Salopek, Chapman or Gilham a few years down the track?

It was a message to their own interstate recruits just as much as other clubs who might want to take advantage of them -- help us play ball to trade for you, or take your chances in the PSD. Too bad for them Stevens didnt mind going to the blues and thier big bag of cash, but the next coup-flying player might not be so lucky.

Originally posted by FIGJAM
Yeah, best give them Billy Morrison so they can improve a lot more, for a lot longer.

Port will old news when (and if!!!!) Morrison plays consistent senior footy contributing to any Pie flag chances.

Fact is Morrison will have more impact than what Port got for Stevans; NOTHING!

The reason why I posted this thread is that Port said we offered nothing wothwhile and then went and recruited hacks, I mean Mahoney! Dumped by the dogs and Pies years ago. Why, he is to slow and not tall enough. But hey, obviously they have a different value system.

I just think Port lied to their supporters, Chocko had a problem with him and let his personal feelings get in the way of doing the best deal. Good on him.

Fact is Morrison will have more impact than what Port got for Stevans; NOTHING!

Well yeah, and in a practical sense it was probably a mistake.

But every single Vic kid that goes to Alberton from now on will have Nick Stevens nightmares.

"Be good, or we will send you Carlton"

:eek:

Frightening stuff.....

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
But every single Vic kid that goes to Alberton from now on will have Nick Stevens nightmares.

"Be good, or we will send you Carlton"

:eek:

Frightening stuff.....

Just thought this needed to be posted for a second time as many people have trouble understanding this. Personally i dont think that it is terribly complicated. Sets a good precedent for future business deals rather than being poked in the rear for short term gains.

Finishing a promising carer at Carlton. Talk about nightmares ... :eek:

[B

I just think Port lied to their supporters, Chocko had a problem with him and let his personal feelings get in the way of doing the best deal. Good on him. [/B]

Port and chocko just did the right thing- Give Nick nothing cause your rite, hima nd chocko had a big personal problem, and as chocko Knows, so do 99% of the players at Port...wasnt only Chocko that was happy Nick didnt get his wish...Plenty of players are real happy!! there a better club for not having him, even for nothing....watch the 1st Port-Carlton clash this yr, there already lining up at Alberton to stand him....
On a positive though at Port...there going to have the most potent fwd line going round soon.... Tredders, Cornsey, damon White who is a gun, (one of them may play back), and young Grocke on the rookie list is something special...if he can progress thru....lookout!!!

What has Port done? Port have sent a message alright... that any young player going to their club is going to be permanently stuck in boringsville and Port will make it as hard as they can to make them stay there. There is only 1 loser in this deal. Port Adelaide. Nick Stevens may have wanted to go to Collingwood as a preference... but in the end he just wanted to go back and live in Melbourne and who could blame him and thats exactly what he got.. You may be laughing at him regretting the move now... but clubs don't stay at the bottom forever (unless u are St Kilda) and if anything it is going to be Port Adelaide who are on the slide and may be not even playing in finals in the next 5 to 7 years.

No idea how anyone can say Port did the right thing. You can pick up a very decent player with the pick that was offered to Port.

[B

I just think Port lied to their supporters, Chocko had a problem with him and let his personal feelings get in the way of doing the best deal. Good on him. [/B]

Port and chocko just did the right thing- Give Nick nothing cause your rite, hima nd chocko had a big personal problem, and as chocko Knows, so do 99% of the players at Port...wasnt only Chocko that was happy Nick didnt get his wish...Plenty of players are real happy!! there a better club for not having him, even for nothing....watch the 1st Port-Carlton clash this yr, there already lining up at Alberton to stand him....
On a positive though at Port...there going to have the most potent fwd line going round soon.... Tredders, Cornsey, damon White who is a gun, (one of them may play back), and young Grocke on the rookie list is something special...if he can progress thru....lookout!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Port WTF is going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back