Possible betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree the penalty deserves to be harsh, but I honestly don't think there is any match fixing involved.

Agreed, but if not correctly punished - you risk allowing this to become acceptable. I can see the AFL looking for a really, really big stick here. He may end up being de-registered and banned for life....

If true he can piss off, how could any teammate trust someone that bets against their own club.

All the training and information they get and he is still dumb enough to put his career on line, what a dipstick, clearlhas more interest in his dads career than his own.

I agree the penalty deserves to be harsh, but I honestly don't think there is any match fixing involved.
But this is the problem with players betting against their own teams. You can't discount the possibility despite the denials that surely follow. There will always be doubt even though some may prepared to give the benefit to the accused. All this discussion is premised on the presumption of guilt I'll grant you, but if he's made the bet or encouraged others to do so, it stinks.

Up to 10 people, not all from the club. Reports are saying Hunter and a VFL player that isn't on the AFL list.

My worry is that these additional people have links back to other players. If this is true, this could make the off-season look like a fun time for the club....

Up to 10 people, not all from the club. Reports are saying Hunter and a VFL player that isn't on the AFL list.
I understand that, but the point being it wasn't just them deciding they'd have a squizz. It was orchestrated to some extent.

Agreed, but if not correctly punished - you risk allowing this to become acceptable. I can see the AFL looking for a really, really big stick here. He may end up being de-registered and banned for life....
I agree he needs to be correctly punished, I have no idea what that should be as I'm not aware of precedence in sport apart from the Shaw incident which on the surface doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as this. But people shouldn't be claiming corruption and match fixing when there hasn't been any evidence to say that this is the case.

Dude its a practice match. Totally agree with you if regular season and if was playing in the game. Otherwise too harsh man.

I highly doubt 10 players are involved.

Potentially a long philosophical discussion there. I'm not comfortable with pokies but at least everyone knows the deal when you walk into pokie-licensed premises.
As for the difference between betting against your own team and having an encounter with drugs (not footy related) you only need to read some of the other posts here:

And that's before you consider the aspect of putting your club's good community and ethical reputation in jeopardy. Probably a much bigger long-term cost.
He's a dumb kid. I think that's an applicable tag atm with Lachie. It's doubtful he considered your last point and the affect. I just hope PG et al have a sleep on the finality of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys tough time for the club.

Thanks for at least taking the spotlight off the Essendon saga for 24 hours at least!

Hate to say it and admit it, but there are serious problems with our club.. Management Management, culture (I hate to use the word) etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Really deflating.

I agree he needs to be correctly punished, I have no idea what that should be as I'm not aware of precedence in sport apart from the Shaw incident which on the surface doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as this. But people shouldn't be claiming corruption and match fixing when there hasn't been any evidence to say that this is the case.

Dude its a practice match. Totally agree with you if regular season and if was playing in the game. Otherwise too harsh man.

Look, I hope it's nothing and he's cleared. But if the report is true, that's he bet against the club - there is no place for this in sport. This is part of the issues touched upon during the 'blackest day in sport' bullshit, the potential for organised crime figures to get into the heads of players and influence the outcome of sporting events... It's drawing a long bow, I agree - but this is what they absolutely, positively want to erradicate from the sport...

Given the utter debacle of the Essendon - ASADA issue, the AFL may be looking for a scalp, a conclusive, ruthless decision to stamp it's authority on these activities... I agree it's a touch hyprocritical given the amount of money they take from gambling - but this could get ugly.....

Utter bullshit sorry. If he bet against the club in an under 12 game he deserves a career risking ban. This is just beyond stupid. The AFL has done a massive campaign on this, the AFLPA include vast tracts about it in their briefings. There is no ****ing excuse for this. Would prefer he burned down a dwarf.

I am reaching very low tolerance at the moment. The board needs a long hard look at itself - buck stops there. Could they know about every action by every player of course not but this seem to be in a cultural toilet at the moment.

WHE/Carlisle/Shiel - bloody dreaming....

I'm so disappointed :-( I have really high expectations of Lachie. An incredible talent, but if he holds his own career in such low regard then he needs a year off. I hate to say it, but a lesson needs to be handed out for all to see. De-registration is too harsh, but nonetheless, he cannot be a part of our team for some time.

Hey guys tough time for the club.

Thanks for at least taking the spotlight off the Essendon saga for 24 hours at least!
Don't worry Hird will be in the spotlight soon :p

He's obviously got the punting pedigree.

Better that it happens now while he's young and it's just a praccy match.
Better it doesn't happen at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back