Possible betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone I live with knows the password to my laptop and tablet.

Sure, same here. Although I can't think of any of my mates that have the same privilege, but they're a pretty unreliable and mostly untrustworthy group of guys, unlike Lachies friends.

It could be as simple as they share a computer/tablet and the friend didn't realise it was logged into Lachie's account on the betting site until after the bet was made. Some betting sites don't even show your name when logged in but an account number. It still sounds really dumb but not as dumb as Lachie betting himself.
I've seen it a hundred times in share houses. If you trust the people you live with won't be dickheads then there's no problem. Unfortunately trust can sometimes be misplaced.

Damn it Lachie, you extraordinarily dumb little boy. Everyone knows not to bet on AFL games, let alone against your own damn team. I really like him as a player too and have high hopes for him. What's the expected punishment for this kind of thing? Big fine and 2 months suspension? 3 months? A year?

...The Arse?

I've seen it a hundred times in share houses. If you trust the people you live with won't be dickheads then there's no problem. Unfortunately trust can sometimes be misplaced.

Exactly, he will still cop a penalty if that story is true but it's barely an explosive story as first reported.

Hate to say it and admit it, but there are serious problems with our club.. Management Management, culture (I hate to use the word) etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Really deflating.
Been bangin on about this since Griffen.

Unless we stop and look at why we stuffed so bad last year and learn from it, we will continue to make the same mistakes.

"The fish stinks from the head'

That is my e mail password and my banking password how did you know that :)

I have worked in IT for 15 years I could you tell some password stories
I saw a brilliant one somewhere the other day.
Long story short someone took a screen shot of their attempt to create a password. Will try to find it as couldn't do it justice.

Sure, same here. Although I can't think of any of my mates that have the same privilege, but they're a pretty unreliable and mostly untrustworthy group of guys, unlike Lachies friends.
I think this raft of sarcasm might be the closest to the truth. Lauchie ****ed up trusting the wrong guy.

Obviously more information required. However, I'm calling it now. I expect the club to act with integrity. Any essendon PR / someone else's fault / threatening law suits / not holding those responsible, well... responsible, and I will voice my opinion at the next AGM.

I guess while the whole thing is utterly stupid...

Would the players/yourselves as fans want this guy back?

Betting on your own team to lose would be the ultimate betrayal I would have thought.

Betting on your own team to lose would be the ultimate betrayal I would have thought.
Inform yourself before acting the fool on an opposition board.

I know people that know Lachie. Let's just say I haven't heard positive things.

One of the old cases of the kid having bags of talent, but a shocking outlook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh it's just a practice match, losing is what most clubs are trying to do anyway ;)

Glad to see you're all quick to throw the kid under the bus. Geez.

Still pretty stupid for an AFL listed player to give anyone access to their betting account. 8 weeks off sounds about right to me, if what is being reported is accurate.

Lets not go all silly here. This is a 20yr old who placed a bet on a practice match he wasn't even playing in. Collected, then self-reported (all allegedly). There is no suggestion of match fixing or insider information.

Based on that, most of you guys are willing to throw him under a bus. We need to look after our own a bit more and support them. Do you think it looks better to support Hunter and help him through or de-list him and wash our hands off?

Meanwhile, over at Bomber land, a 40+ year old coach entrusted with caring for a bunch of kids organises a systematic illegal doping programme. He gets a contract extension and paid holiday with nothing sticking to him.
VFL player used Hunters account to bet on game, Hunter knew nothing until half time of game. Was a multi bet and then Hunter reported staight away.

It may not be as bad as it all seems.

SOURCE: Footy Show AFL Damian Barret
This is why I said he/they should be given every chance to clear his/their name/s first. (There's nothing more certain than that players will be charged, tried, found guilty and punished on BF within an hour of such a story breaking.) Due process has to be followed and I'm sure there's quite a bit more to be revealed yet.

However if some player has consciously bet against our club (and especially if it was a "plunge" involving others) I don't resile from wanting rid of him.

And (if guilty) if the only reason for leniency is that they are young (and stupid), that needs to be weighed up against enormity of the offence. It may not be enough.

And BTW, I don't want to use Essendon FC as a benchmark for anything to do with ethics or morality.

The other person using his phone excuse? Seriously? Seems so unlikely. But then again, I'm not much of a punter.. Is it normal for someone to place a bet under a friend's account? Seems very playground to me.

Do people really think so little of the club that they'd throw a VFL-listed player under the bus to save a father-son recruit?

No, you're right, the whole thing stinks.

In all seriousness, let's wait for more to come to light before taking one player's alleged mistake and extrapolating it into a criticism of the club's entire operation/culture/associated buzzword.

Still pretty stupid for an AFL listed player to give anyone access to their betting account. 8 weeks off sounds about right to me.
Who said that he gave him access though? It is like you leaving my wallet on the table at home and a friend comes by and takes money from it

still need to wait until all the information is laid out

Glad to see you're all quick to throw the kid under the bus. Geez.
i like this one

diesel_services_20100825_2014352015.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back