Analysis Post game Pies v Suns. A terrific win

Remove this Banner Ad

A win we desperately needed after two straight losses. The Gold Coast are a terrible side but that was a professional performance. Our performance wasn't great but a lot to like and build on heading into next week.

If Frost has only got a corked thigh that's a relief because he'll be a big loss if he cannot play against North Melbourne.

Congrats to Pendles for 200 marvellous games and a great 200th game as he was terrific today. Jesse White and Travis Varcoe played their best matches of the year and hopefully they maintain that next week. Relief to have Sidebottom back in the side but he did look rusty but he'll improve soon enough.

5-3 after round 8! I'll take that!

I'll do a decade of the rosary for a minor corkie.

His entire leg was iced up and Buckley was consoling him. My take is that it is reasonably serious and possibly some sort of hamstring injury.

Didn't see the game, but I did predict a 69 point win in the Game Day thread - post #62 (proof) :)

I had a quick read of that thread near quarter time and thought we were getting slaughtered. Some of you lads do suffer from premature exasperation. But then there seemed to be a lot of self-indulgence of the type often accompanied by a bag of Twisties going on. So good to see sanity prevail.

What happened to Frost?

corky in his hamstring apparently

Not a whole lot to like out of it considering the quality of the opposition was dreadful, but we got the job done so no real gripes aside from the intensity of Langdon and Seedsman. They played like blokes who know they won't be dropped, IMO.

In fairness there were a few millionaires playing tonight.

Judging from the vision it's a corky. Hamstrings happen with extension and Frost wasn't extending when it happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No you weigh up the value of the positives.

I also need to stress the only negatives I've highlighted were Seedsman's and Langdon's intensity.

Unfortunately you've interpreted my comments as negatives when they are simply expectations that I have of players when they are up against questionable opposition :thumbsdown:
Ok fair enough. My take given the 'questionable opposition' of which we have no control
Pendles - fantastic 3 goals as a player who isn't massively scoreboard oriented
Marley - one of his best games for the club
Varcoe - best game for the club
Swan - worked hard and had 12 contested possies and 7 clearances but was a bit wasteful
Steele - welcome return
Oxley - one of the best games he's played for the club
Crisp - applause for 14 contested possies (game high) and 9 clearances (comfortable game high)
Elliot - quiet then excellent
White - schooled the young defender
Fas - need more of this level of performance
Goldy - rock solid heart and soul player - 24 at 100%
Seedy 22 touches at 82 but not at his best
Blair - workman like
Witts - solid in the ruck and got involved with 13 at 69% but is slow so needs to be smart
Adams - not his best but hardly stunk. Some good passes some bad.
Cloke - worked hard but was relatively quiet
Langdon - had the odd poor moment but overall very solid with 23 at 82.6% and was the starting point in a number of goals
DeGoey - had 16 but will improve massively
Grundy - quiet but good in the ruck
Brown - beaten but provided a link in setting up from down back
Broomy - limited involvement
Frost great at 1%'s (game high 8) before going down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok fair enough. My take given the 'questionable opposition' of which we have no control
Pendles - fantastic 3 goals as a player who isn't massively scoreboard oriented
Marley - one of his best games for the club
Varcoe - best game for the club
Swan - worked hard and had 12 contested possies and 7 clearances but was a bit wasteful
Steele - welcome return
Oxley - one of the best games he's played for the club
Crisp - applause for 14 contested possies (game high) and 9 clearances (comfortable game high)
Elliot - quiet then excellent
White - schooled the young defender
Fas - need more of this level of performance
Goldy - rock solid heart and soul player - 24 at 100%
Seedy 22 touches at 82 but not at his best
Blair - workman like
Witts - solid in the ruck and got involved with 13 at 69% but is slow so needs to be smart
Adams - not his best but hardly stunk. Some good passes some bad.
Cloke - worked hard but was relatively quiet
Langdon - had the odd poor moment but overall very solid with 23 at 82.6% and was the starting point in a number of goals
DeGoey - had 16 but will improve massively
Grundy - quiet but good in the ruck
Brown - beaten but provided a link in setting up from down back
Broomy - limited involvement
Frost great at 1%'s (game high 8) before going down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent summary.

how clever is varcor though.. this guy is brilliant at getting into space.. one hell of a sneak. very clever. didnt realise when he was playing for geelong how hard the guy can tackle.. he can nail a hard tackle and cause a bitta damage as well. just that really clever sneaky dangerous player we needed.

I don't often disagree with you but at least 6 words come to mind instantly, Elliott, Fas, Pendles, White and Williams and Goldsack, if you get my drift

Elliott v Mckenzie not what I'd call an unfavorable matchup. If you told me pre-match that GC would go with it I'd have predicted a 3-4 goal game for Jamie.

Pendles received no pressure from any of the Suns midfielders all night. When you allow he and Swan to do as they please they cut you to shreds.

White v Schade/ Kolodjashnij probably indicates why he put 4 through.

Williams made some poor defensive errors, but was good forward of the ball. No young defender plays a perfect game so I was happy to see him bounce back.

Goldsack and Fasolo both gave us performances above what you could ask for and Goldsack in particular was clutch at important times. Crisp as well put forward another game that was above what to expect considering the quality of GC's inside talent.

We won by 69 points and had 3 blokes that IMO excelled themselves against quality opposition so yeah I'm content with the result, but it was one that we left a bit in the tank on.

Good win in the end,although it was against weak opposition as many have said.I liked the games of White,and Varcoe in particular.That's definitely the best Varcoe has played for us.

And i think White would probably make a pretty decent third forward,instead of being a second forward which he is at the moment.It's a pity Reid isn't playing.Would make a big difference to that forward line.

And it was good to see Fasolo back.He just needs to play like that on a regular basis to keep his place in the team.

Where did the entitlement on this forum come from? How often do people say we're a young side, it will take time, etc and then the second we aren't kicking a goal a minute, people write the team off. At least add something to the discussion, rather than simply posting "we are shit" or insulting a player.
Because people on here are f***ing muppets. No wonder we have not won a flag again. Because the supporters put negativity on them the moment we did not win by 100 points in 2011, and it is the ENTITLEMENT you speak of. Go barrack for the Blues instead. Then your criticism is welcome. Regardless of whether they are paid for it or not, I bet if you line up against them in a training drill, they would murder you. Had a couple of bad losses, and we have had a bit of inconsistency, but give it a bit of time eh? Only round 7. Five wins are what it is. At least we have found another path instead of Clokey. Beat the bogey team too, and you beat the team that is put in front of you. If it was Hawthorn, Geelong, or even the maligned Dockers, there would be plenty on here giving our blokes the keys to the city. Just remember what Mick always said: "the Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient".

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Post game Pies v Suns. A terrific win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back