Analysis Post game Pies v Suns. A terrific win

Remove this Banner Ad

Elliott v Mckenzie not what I'd call an unfavorable matchup. If you told me pre-match that GC would go with it I'd have predicted a 3-4 goal game for Jamie.
Going by that logic he exceeded expectations with 5.

Now mate, I am going to give you a wrap right now. You are the f***ing funniest bloke on here. Genius. I want to stalk you and fill your tab at the pub all night long :)
That's a dangerous offer, that is.

Can't gauge much from that game but a couple of less obvious things need some attention;

Langdon is playing a bit lazy at the moment, needs to sharpen up
De Goey needs games, his hands aren't great at the moment. but needs games
Clearly Broomy will get the rest in the 2's next week
Marley needs some attention on his attack, he's taking a few weird risks

Going by that logic he exceeded expectations with 5.

So you'd call his first half exceeding expectations? I would have thought that the logic in my comments were based on a 4 quarter game.

That being said I used goals as the only metric so if you'd like or disagree I could highlight others?

Felt like crap with a cold all week, blocked sinuses meant the flight up to the Gold Coast was agony, have to fly straight back tonight as I've got important work stuff at 6am tomorrow which I'll probably bugger up as I'll only get 4 hours sleep...

But none of that matters as I got to high five Pendles as he left the ground after dominating his 200th game and leading the Pies to a 60+ points victory!!!!!

#allworthit
#willbeabsolutelystuffedtomorrowthough

Very happy with the win. Unlike past years when we have travelled to the Goldcoast expecting to win and didn't, this time we actually did and in style too. Winning games that we should this year, so far, great effort.

Can't gauge much from that game but a couple of less obvious things need some attention;

Langdon is playing a bit lazy at the moment, needs to sharpen up
De Goey needs games, his hands aren't great at the moment. but needs games
Clearly Broomy will get the rest in the 2's next week
Marley needs some attention on his attack, he's taking a few weird risks

Marley needs to find his range between 15-50 metres.. why does he always feel the need to boot the living crap out of it every time he gets it.. hes still learning.. so itll come.. his awareness needs a bit of work.. left to right to back to front to short to long. but im happy with his progress.. he wants to get involved regardless of whether he loses it or not.. he doesnt go back in his shell.. he always demands it regardless. so good on him.

So you'd call his first half exceeding expectations? I would have thought that the logic in my comments were based on a 4 quarter game.

That being said I used goals as the only metric so if you'd like or disagree I could highlight others?
It was a bit tongue in cheek mate, should have used an emoticon.

Honestly wasn't rapt with Jamie's first half, he had a ripper second though.

Conversely, Fas did exactly what I expected and came out breathing fire early, then went missing a bit. I was happy though, that he managed to bring himself back in to the game late.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you could be that happy with Fasolo's game compared to Elliott's. Both had their high impact plays and both disappeared for periods. Unless you somehow have a different standard for two players who are playing the same role...?

The positive I take from that is that he does not seem hang his head and even if he screws up he just keeps cracking in and I love that type, that attitude will take him far in this game.

I also liked that too. Kept Going and never quit

Food for thought that just because some aren't dripping with enthusiasm over beating a team minus 13 of their best 22 does not mean they aren't doing it without the best intentions. I guess calling people ******* muppets makes it easy to be right...

I don't think anyone is 'dripping with enthusiasm'. Most are pleased with the win but acknowledge it was not the best performance. But the over negative response by you and a few others is ridiculous given we won by ten goals. It wasn't great but it also wasn't that bad. Chillax

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we did look better in transition tonight with Sidey and Varcoe out on the wings providing width, and Fas and Blair a bit straighter in the corridor - but it is still deficient.

It only happened a couple of times tonight, but we lack majorly when both teams go one loose in defense which is why bucks tends to load up with 7 forwards if required.

When we have one loose - it is almost always a small/mid negator looking to spoil a 2/1 or 3/2 into a boundary stoppage rather than an attacking intercept mark. Marley, Ramma and Tooves have all been that +1 at times and look to kil the contest from that quick clearance. Langdon is better but looks a step off at the moment, if seems to me Goldy has been directed to be more focused on intercept marking those contests over the last 2-3 weeks and has been better - although his instinct is still to spoil.

Until Reid comes back, we are ineffective with a +1 when allowing the opposition the same so if Marsh does come in, perhaps he is an option until a Sharenberg type can come on a bit.

I was happy with the win. Did what we needed to do and after the last 2 weeks, the beers were tasting pretty good in the 2nd half!

It was a bit tongue in cheek mate, should have used an emoticon.

Honestly wasn't rapt with Jamie's first half, he had a ripper second though.

Conversely, Fas did exactly what I expected and came out breathing fire early, then went missing a bit. I was happy though, that he managed to bring himself back in to the game late.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you could be that happy with Fasolo's game compared to Elliott's. Both had their high impact plays and both disappeared for periods. Unless you somehow have a different standard for two players who are playing the same role...?

I do because they're different players. I have my own KPI's for each player regardless of their role and what the club want to see.

For instance Brown, IMO, is at his best when going for his marks. When he's preoccupied with maintaining touch I find that he struggles. Frost who ostensibly plays the same role I judge on his ability to stay off his opponent and then make use of his closing speed to spoil.

My 2 cents worth

Happy with the win obviously.
Too many WTF moments.
We seem to be doing a lot of things right when we don't have to ball. Structures, getting back, zones, pressure etc which is really pleasing but some of our errors when we have the ball are frustrating. Especially when a player gets it in lots of space and no pressure and waits till there is pressure on him before he disposes of the ball. Young team, still learning. Important thing is that you can see the team is developing.
My guess at this stage is we will be thereabouts regarding the 8 come the end of the year. Maybe just sneak in maybe just miss out. But you can see the potential is there.

He said we have 2 number one ruck men = both Grundy and Witts have equal claim on the ruck position at the moment. It's a good thing for us, TD.

Though Playing Both in the Team seems to Hurt there Impact as Neither are up to AFL Standards as Forwards yet

Thought it was an easy, tidy win.

Can't complain at winning by 70 points 3 times this year so far.

GC have more than a few missing, but I think only their midfielders would've changed the margin a little bit. The other guys they were missing wouldn't have given them much more than what they had tonight. Also need to take into consideration that we're missing a few of our best, too. And that we were playing away from home... winning by 85 with 10 minutes to go and take the foot off the gas & let them snag a few as consolation. What would've been a good win? Winning by 150?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're world beaters based on that performance, just that we should give our boys a bit more credit - and not let GC off the hook just for missing some players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Post game Pies v Suns. A terrific win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back