• When I was around 17

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When I was around 21

• I've never been drunk!

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the issues I have with alcohol is that even though it is a drug it is not treated as such. For example in the media the word 'drugs' may be used and then they add alcohol to the list. Should not alcohol be included in the previous use of the term 'drugs'? I am aware that coffee could also be counted as a drug, but I would suggest that it causes less harm (for both the individual and society at large) than alcohol.

A lot of things are drugs if you wanna get all technical...

I thought I was a late starter, didnt start drinking till I was around 17. Never really got smashed often, just big events. Like footy nights, after the Grand Final. Never went to a lot of parties before year 12.

Year 12 changed that a lot, went out a lot more. Got drunk maybe once a month, then like 3 times in 5 days for schoolies.

But in my first 4 weeks of Uni I probably consumed more alcohol than I did in Year 12.

And yes, I know I'm an idiot. Cutting down this week. Havent been smashed since last Friday and plan to not get smashed again until this Friday.

I reckon I can do it.

If people are already happy, why do they need to go to theme parks or on holidays?

If people are already confident, why do they need to comb their hair or wear nice clothes?

Because not doing either of these things can subsequently decrease their happiness/confidence.

People go to theme parks because they already enjoy the idea of theme parks, different to people who choose not to drink (for whatever reason).

People comb their hair etc because that is what may give them the confidence in the first place.

Not drinking doesn't necessarily decrease your enjoyment.

One of the issues I have with alcohol is that even though it is a drug it is not treated as such. For example in the media the word 'drugs' may be used and then they add alcohol to the list. Should not alcohol be included in the previous use of the term 'drugs'? I am aware that coffee could also be counted as a drug, but I would suggest that it causes less harm (for both the individual and society at large) than alcohol.

1. People lack education/awareness.

2. Alcohol is legal, and people equate the term 'drug' to that which is 'illegal'.

Because not doing either of these things can subsequently decrease their happiness/confidence.

People go to theme parks because they already enjoy the idea of theme parks, different to people who choose not to drink (for whatever reason).

People comb their hair etc because that is what may give them the confidence in the first place.

Not drinking doesn't necessarily decrease your enjoyment.

1. People lack education/awareness.

2. Alcohol is legal, and people equate the term 'drug' to that which is 'illegal'.

On the first point I agree and on the second point I would suggests that some of the illegal 'drugs' probably cause fewer problems than alcohol.

"Don't you get bored going out and not drinking?" ("No, I don't, I love going out, and do it nearly every weekend. I probably have a better time than a lot of people as well.")

Doubt it.

I'm more awake, alert

lol what makes you think that?

and having a better time than most people, the whole time, often until around 5AM.

What? How can you speak on behalf of other people?? I stay out until 5,6am a lot of saturday nights and have a great time because I'm drunk with my mates. You have a better time than the 5% of people who get legless, vomit on the dancefloor and then get carried into a cab. The other 95% people who drink and/or get drunk have a great time.

Again, I'm the same :thumbsu: I don't drink anything with caffiene in it, actually. So not even Coke or Red Bull.

No alcohol, no coke, no coffee, no red bull, no ICED COFFEE. What do you drink exactly?! I drink 5 litres of water a day but shit I need some variety.

If you're relying on alcohol to provide a good time for you, then maybe you need to assess your choice of activities and where you go, etc. Not trying to sound like a prick about it, but it's pretty easy IMO to have fun without alcohol, so long as you're with people you like and/or in a venue you enjoy.

It is easy to have a good time without alcohol but I alcohol increases the fun which is why I do it every weekend, whether it be 20 drinks out on the town or a couple of beers when I'm having a quiet night in.

Doubt it.

What? How can you speak on behalf of other people?? I stay out until 5,6am a lot of saturday nights and have a great time because I'm drunk with my mates. You have a better time than the 5% of people who get legless, vomit on the dancefloor and then get carried into a cab. The other 95% people who drink and/or get drunk have a great time.

No alcohol, no coke, no coffee, no red bull, no ICED COFFEE. What do you drink exactly?! I drink 5 litres of water a day but shit I need some variety.

It is easy to have a good time without alcohol but I alcohol increases the fun which is why I do it every weekend, whether it be 20 drinks out on the town or a couple of beers when I'm having a quiet night in.

I am sure your liver is having plenty of fun. :cool:

^Whilst that's right, it's not what a lot of people think.

Hence, it's easier to just write Drugs + Alcohol, if it means an increased chance of getting the message through.

I think this is the crux of the problem as people perceive alcohol as a non-drug or as a pseudo-drug/quasi-drug and treat it accordingly. I think if this perception could be changed then there would be far fewer alcohol related problems in society.

Pfft I let my hair down on a saturday night with my mates after working 40 hours during the week, kill me.

I was not really having a go at you. As far as I am concerned people can do whatever they want as long as they do not negatively impact on others. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was not really having a go at you. As far as I am concerned people can do whatever they want as long as they do not negatively impact on others. :thumbsu:

I don't and I think the "normal" drunks - if there is such a thing - get treated unfairly to an extent. When I say I get drunk with my mates, people who don't drink will usually assume that we're trouble makers, vomitting everywhere and being stumbling bo-gons. When really we're just a bunch of guys that enjoy drinking and believe me, I can just as easily spot a completely toasted person being an absolute tosser (and I know there's a few out there) and we hate that, we avoid them and continue having a good time.

I don't and I think the "normal" drunks - if there is such a thing - get treated unfairly to an extent. When I say I get drunk with my mates, people who don't drink will usually assume that we're trouble makers, vomitting everywhere and being stumbling bo-gons. When really we're just a bunch of guys that enjoy drinking and believe me, I can just as easily spot a completely toasted person being an absolute tosser (and I know there's a few out there) and we hate that, we avoid them and continue having a good time.

No worries then. :thumbsu:

I'm seeing how long I can go, starting 2 weeks ago. I'm aiming for new years, but I think I'm gonna pull up well short...

still going strong :)

I'm finding it easier as I go, a few people have joined me in the challenge as well which makes it a LOT easier.

I'm doing it while I try get as fit as possible, which I guess makes it easier when I have an eventual goal. So far so good.

I think this is the crux of the problem as people perceive alcohol as a non-drug or as a pseudo-drug/quasi-drug and treat it accordingly. I think if this perception could be changed then there would be far fewer alcohol related problems in society.

^I'm assuming all schools have drug/alcohol education programs set in place.

Up the the students if they wanna be smart enough to listen.

Also up to the parents to act as well, as schools can't be expected to do everything, parents need to raise their kids too.

Another thing that may add to the perception of alcohol not being a drug is that people don't associate drugs with being swallowed liquids.

^I'm assuming all schools have drug/alcohol education programs set in place.

Up the the students if they wanna be smart enough to listen.

Also up to the parents to act as well, as schools can't be expected to do everything, parents need to raise their kids too.

Another thing that may add to the perception of alcohol not being a drug is that people don't associate drugs with being swallowed liquids.

I agree with all that you say, but surely there is some way to alter the perception of alcohol. Maybe through alterations of advertising or something. I probably sound like an alcohol-Nazi, but it just seems like an issue of great concern to many people.

I agree with all that you say, but surely there is some way to alter the perception of alcohol. Maybe through alterations of advertising or something. I probably sound like an alcohol-Nazi, but it just seems like an issue of great concern to many people.

^You're right.

It's similar to how STI's, which is a more accurate term, is replacing STD's.

A number of other examples out there as well, that I am currently too lazy to think of.

It starts with the educational aspect of the media.

Doubt it.

Why do you doubt it?

fryingpan said:

My own observations of how I feel and how others act, appear and express how they feel at the same time.

Obviously I don't mean I'm having a better time than absolutely everyone. I couldn't possibly know that. I'm just saying, I'm not having a bad time because I'm not drinking, and there are definitely plenty of people who have a bad night when they do drink. IMO it moreso depends on what you're doing, where you're going and what happens on the night that determines if you have a good night or not, nothing to do with whether you drink or not. If people's enjoyment is enhanced by alcohol, then good on them. I choose not to drink alcohol, and I feel I have a good time with friends whenever I go out, so I'm fine with what I do and how I go about it as it is, and don't feel I need to add alcohol to it.

fryingpan said:

Again, I'm just going by my own observations. I'm not saying that I'm 150% right. There's no possible way I can know what is going on with everyone. I'm sure there's plenty of people having fun with alcohol, and that's their choice, and I'm fine with that. There's also some people who aren't having a good time as far as I can see, or make total fools of themselves, or act like ********s and spoil the night for others. I realise not everyone is like that, but it does happen.

I've known of a number of instances when people have a bad time of it when drunk, and have told me so, either later on or as it was happening. As well as that, there's a fair number of my friends who've mentioned to me that they'd like the willpower to just not drink, because they dislike hangovers and/or vomiting on occasion (cue the "They should harden up" or "They should learn to hold their drink better" comments I suppose :rolleyes:), or bad things that happen, or the sheer amount of money they spend on drink.

I'm sure there are plenty of people just like you that have a great time getting drunk. I never said it wasn't possible. I'm just saying that I don't have a bad time without alcohol, and I'm not some dull, boring, no-fun killjoy because I don't drink.

fryingpan said:

Mainly I drink water, milk and orange juice. Not everybody has the same tastes. I don't really care for coffee or tea or iced coffee or any of that stuff. It doesn't appeal to me. I don't have to like it, either.

fryingpan said:

Well good on you then. Doesn't change how I feel about alcohol or what I'm going to do the next time I go out.

I just want to make a general comment here (not particularly directed at fryingpan, but you got me thinking) - Some people (not all) talk about how they always have a great time on the drink and so on in a way that (whether intentional or not) comes across condescendingly and as though you're some lesser person for not drinking. It's another variant on peer pressure, almost trying to guilt you into drinking to fit in by making you feel like you're not really having a good time by not drinking, even if you feel you are. Quite frankly, it's a bit stupid.

People should just respect others opinions and lifestyle choices without making them seem like they're some lesser person for something they don't do. Again, I don't mean that as an attack on you fryingpan (it's difficult to put these sentiments into words on a discussion forum without sounding somewhat inflamatory or argumentative), but some of the comments you made slightly reminded me of the more ridiculous attitudes that some people have when they come across someone who doesn't drink. As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I understand drinking alcohol in ingrained into some people's lifestyle and culture, yet for some people like myself and others in this thread, it's not. Most people are tolerant of it, but some seem to think it unfathomable or impossible that you don't drink, and judge you as some sort of weirdo or killjoy just because of it, and agian, quite frankly, it's a bit stupid.

If a mate of mine said they didn't drink because of a lifestyle choice, I'd ask them for the real reason and if they didn't respond with anything of substance, I'd tell them to foad.

I've hung around with a lot of pot smokers and recreational drug users etc. but never personally tried any of the stuff. Whilst I am, understandably, asked repeatedly why I don't smoke/use drugs, once I explain my reasoning in proper, the issue is dealt with.

If a mate of mine said they didn't drink because of a lifestyle choice, I'd ask them for the real reason and if they didn't respond with anything of substance, I'd tell them to foad.

I've hung around with a lot of pot smokers and recreational drug users etc. but never personally tried any of the stuff. Whilst I am, understandably, asked repeatedly why I don't smoke/use drugs, once I explain my reasoning in proper, the issue is dealt with.

What do you consider a proper answer? or an answer of substance?

Many people don't smoke or use drugs "just because" too, and that's generally accepted and not questioned much, if at all. I don't see how that's any different to not drinking "just because". Again, it is probably the long-established drinking culture that changes things, but still, they shouldn't really be treated that differently IMO.

To be fair though, if they had to identify any reason, most would not smoke or do drugs due to the adverse effect it can have on your health. I usually don't mention that with alcohol myself when questioned, mainly because I simply can't be bothered going around in circles with people who then come back with "One won't hurt", "You won't get drunk or do damage with a couple", "Don't be soft" type of comments and so on, especially if you're out in public. It's just easier and simpler to say that you don't drink just because you just choose not to and leave it at that, rather than going into some big spiel about the health risks and so on. If you went into that kind of stuff standing in a bar or club with people, because people don't want to be preached to about that stuff when they're out, and I don't really consider it that big a deal to keep on about it to them either. Because as I've said a number of times, I don't mind if others drink, I just don't want to do it myself. But if I have to identify any reason I don't drink myself, the health risks of it (both short-term and long-term) is as good a reason as any IMO.

But putting aside what people consider 'valid' or 'invalid' reasoning for personal choices, I'll say again that the big deal people make about something you don't do never ceases to amaze me.

What do you consider a proper answer? or an answer of substance?
Something that actually meant something, perhaps?

Damon_3388 said:
Many people don't smoke or use drugs "just because" too, and that's generally accepted and not questioned much, if at all. I don't see how that's any different to not drinking "just because". Again, it is probably the long-established drinking culture that changes things, but still, they shouldn't really be treated that differently IMO.
There is always a reasoning as to why it is "just because".

But if I have to identify any reason I don't drink myself, the health risks of it (both short-term and long-term) is as good a reason as any IMO.
And there it is.

I can see why someone would be hesitant to go into why they don't drink, but personally, I'd prefer someone to be honest about it then feed me bullshit like "lifestyle choices", which most people see instantly as a diversion from answering the actual question...

Something that actually meant something, perhaps?

There is always a reasoning as to why it is "just because".

And there it is.

I can see why someone would be hesitant to go into why they don't drink, but personally, I'd prefer someone to be honest about it then feed me bullshit like "lifestyle choices", which most people see instantly as a diversion from answering the actual question...

Why are you so concerned about the reasons behind non-drinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Post here if you don't drink.

Back