• When I was around 17

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When I was around 21

• I've never been drunk!

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see why someone would be hesitant to go into why they don't drink, but personally, I'd prefer someone to be honest about it then feed me bullshit like "lifestyle choices", which most people see instantly as a diversion from answering the actual question...

^Lifestyle choices can include things such as health.

The thing is, if someone says health as their reason, and they're say a guy in their early 20's, a lot of people in your position (not necessarily you yourself) would come back with 'a few won't hurt', 'youre an idiot getting drunk once wont do anything' etc etc, so it's just easier to avoid the rubbishing of your own opinion by saying something like generic and simple, so it's over with, rather than giving a specific reason which people will want to argue about because drinking is a part of their culture.

I would like to know why a lot of drinkers consider non-drinking such a big deal, where as non-drinkers here such as myself couldn't really care if others are drinking when out. It is most likely a culture thing, something people cannot understand, because it is so ingrained into the mindset. Take a step back and realise that it's no big deal at all if you're 'not' doing something. Is it really hard to believe people who don't drink can enjoy themselves just as much as you, whether that involves laughin with mates, picking up girls or what not.

Pawtucket Patriot said:
Why are you so concerned about the reasons behind non-drinking?
Curious, not concerned. IDGAF what you do, really...

Power King said:
The thing is, if someone says health as their reason, and they're say a guy in their early 20's, a lot of people in your position (not necessarily you yourself) would come back with 'a few won't hurt', 'youre an idiot getting drunk once wont do anything' etc etc, so it's just easier to avoid the rubbishing of your own opinion by saying something like generic and simple, so it's over with, rather than giving a specific reason which people will want to argue about because drinking is a part of their culture.
If a bunch of nuff-nuffs rubbishing their views results in them having to lie/divert the question whenever they are asked why they don't drink, then maybe the whole drinking/not drinking thing isn't their biggest issue...

I would like to know why a lot of drinkers consider non-drinking such a big deal, where as non-drinkers here such as myself couldn't really care if others are drinking when out. It is most likely a culture thing, something people cannot understand, because it is so ingrained into the mindset. Take a step back and realise that it's no big deal at all if you're 'not' doing something. Is it really hard to believe people who don't drink can enjoy themselves just as much as you, whether that involves laughin with mates, picking up girls or what not.
As I said, you are confusing curiosity with concern. It don't consider it a big deal at all, but similarly, I don't get why some non-drinkers have to be so overly precious about being asked why it is that they don't drink (especially in locations such as a pub, bar or club), so much so, that they have to respond with non-answers such as "lifestyle choices". Sure it may work with avoiding arguments with some idiots (not that many would accept "lifestyle choice" as a valid reponse either), but when you meet someone who genuinely interested and you respond with shit like that, you're essentially giving them a **** you. So don't be suprised if you get one back...

The whole holier than thou act is annoying too but I mostly see that in ****wit straight edge kids...

If a bunch of nuff-nuffs rubbishing their views results in them having to lie/divert the question whenever they are asked why they don't drink, then maybe the whole drinking/not drinking thing isn't their biggest issue...

As I said, you are confusing curiosity with concern. It don't consider it a big deal at all, but similarly, I don't get why some non-drinkers have to be so overly precious about being asked why it is that they don't drink (especially in locations such as a pub, bar or club), so much so, that they have to respond with non-answers such as "lifestyle choices". Sure it may work with avoiding arguments with some idiots (not that many would accept "lifestyle choice" as a valid reponse either), but when you meet someone who genuinely interested and you respond with shit like that, you're essentially giving them a **** you. So don't be suprised if you get one back...

Interested in what you mean by the first paragraph.

Second paragraph - fair post (and it can be hard to differentiate between curiosity and concern on the net at times).

Just in response to a few things Suspense has mentioned - I don't think it is non-drinkers being 'precious' about not drinking or being asked about it. I think it might simply be that they can't be bothered discussing it and going back and forth with people in public about something they don't do. Obviously people are curious, as it is something that deviates from the norm, but sometimes it is just easier to say "I just don't" or something like that, and be done with it, rather than go into some big long explaination into why you choose not to drink. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered sometimes discussing with people something I don't do.

Like I said, my reasoning isn't deep at all. If I have to attach anything to it, it's probably just health risks. But I'm hardly going to bother going into that kind of stuff in a bar or club with people I don't know (those being the only people who question me about it, as friends know my stance and are fine with it), and come across as some sort of killjoy that is policing people with my morals regarding drinking.

With that being said, most people I meet for the first time usually accept "Just because" or "I just chose not to" as a response, in my experience. Obviously you get the odd person who continues to question it or discusses it with you in a quieter moment later on, and I've had deeper discussions on the issue with close friends as well as passing aquaintances in the past, but most people seem to be able to accept it and move on without much thought when you give short answers like that. Maybe a few people do realise that it's not really that big a deal and that it doesn't really make a difference to whether someone is a good person or not. I don't know.

I never try to force my opinions down others throats, if they ask a question with respect I'll answer it, but it's very hard not to come off as elitist / condescending when explaining health lifestyle choices in social settings like parties, bars, clubs etc. ... there's plenty of insecure people out there that may seem genuinely interested one second, but when you give them your honest reasons will do their best to twist your words and make a mountain out of a molehill.

I never try to force my opinions down others throats, if they ask a question with respect I'll answer it, but it's very hard not to come off as elitist / condescending when explaining health lifestyle choices in social settings like parties, bars, clubs etc. ... there's plenty of insecure people out there that may seem genuinely interested one second, but when you give them your honest reasons will do their best to twist your words and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Exactly the kind of thing I mean :thumbsu:

I've only been drunk once - on bourbon at the age of 17 - and not for enjoyment, either (I was trying to cure my insomnia - a stupid thing to do, but it worked for a little while).

I can't stand the taste of alcohol, especially beer. I don't know why. The last time I even tried to drink was a year ago, with my old man. I didn't even get the drink finished!

Still, I don't really give a damn. A lot of teenagers that I know seem to glorify drinking lots of booze and getting drunk, but all it leads to is liver damage and a beer gut later on in life - plus lots of money down the tubes. I'm insecure about my weight as it is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because not doing either of these things can subsequently decrease their happiness/confidence.

What utter garbage.

:rolleyes:

The reason someone wouldn't give you a reason for not drinking, is that they are probably so used to people disputing their reasons, so the don't bother to give a reason.

I find this odd. With the vast majority of my opinions, I have the conviction to debate the point with anybody at any time, and enjoy doing so. I generally find that when people are unhappy to discuss the finer points of their opinions/choices, it is because they are either lying about their rationale, or simply flat-out know that their position is irrational but refuse to admit it to themselves/others.

What utter garbage.

I find this odd. With the vast majority of my opinions, I have the conviction to debate the point with anybody at any time, and enjoy doing so. I generally find that when people are unhappy to discuss the finer points of their opinions/choices, it is because they are either lying about their rationale, or simply flat-out know that their position is irrational but refuse to admit it to themselves/others.

No just sick of arrogant individuals that just won't leave you alone, and keep bothering you about not drinking!

When people continually question your motive for not doing something, even if it is just because you simply choose not to, it can become simply annoying, especially if it happens repeatedly when you meet new people. I don't think it is because anyone has anything to hide. Not in my case, anyway.

It's probably because drinking is more normalised, ingrained and accepted that makes it such an issue with some people, but if someone said they don't smoke "just because", I doubt it would be such an issue.

What utter garbage.

^Bullshit.

A number of people in here have said that drinking allows them to loosen up, to have the confidence to be more outgoing and talk to people. Alcohol decreases inhibition - this is fact. To deny that some people cannot gain confidence via drinking is purely stupid, and happiness is largely associated with confidence.

Note this doesn't apply for every drinker, but 100% does for some.

People have talked about it in this thread for crying out loud.

When people continually question your motive for not doing something, even if it is just because you simply choose not to, it can become simply annoying, especially if it happens repeatedly when you meet new people. I don't think it is because anyone has anything to hide. Not in my case, anyway.

It's probably because drinking is more normalised, ingrained and accepted that makes it such an issue with some people, but if someone said they don't smoke "just because", I doubt it would be such an issue.

^Exactly.

You can draw somewhat of a parallel to somebody asking you during times of stress, 'why dont you smoke?'

Questioning why I don't do something that doesn't need to be done...

Some people in here genuinely can't seem to get their head around accepting that for some people there really is no benefit, and it's simply because drinking is ingrained into their mindset.

I have done a phenomenal amount of drugs and drinking. This is not bragging, just stating facts.

Started drinking at about 15, smoking green about the same age. Since then never really stooped. Done every drug except crack, some in vastly excessive and regular quantities. Drink pretty much every day, at least 5 days a week, often to excess.

About 2 years ago went to doctor thinking, feck, am 31 now, need to pull up. Doctor gave me a full once over, inside and out to reveal the happy news that I'm in very good shape, excellent shape even.

How's that doc? I ask.

Turns out having given up ciggies years ago helps.

Even better, not drinking coffee or tea, but instead loads of water is vital. I drink like ten pints of water a day. Works wonders.

Not drinking spirits is also vital. I'll drink a shitload of beer but spirits are the key.

Most importantly, I walk everywhere (easy to do in edinburgh), exercise fairly often and I eat well.

But you know what i reckon the key is? I'm not a miserable bastard.

I started pretty young - was 14 the first time I was drunk. Could get into most pubs back home from 15 onwards, so from 15-18 most weekends were a blur. Left at 18 to go to uni, and the haze followed me for a while.

Once I hit about 21, I seemed to calm down a heap. Not sure if I got it all out of the way at an early age or not, but since then I only have the very occassional blinder, and only ever have a couple of beers or reds on the weekend now.

^Bullshit.

A number of people in here have said that drinking allows them to loosen up, to have the confidence to be more outgoing and talk to people. Alcohol decreases inhibition - this is fact. To deny that some people cannot gain confidence via drinking is purely stupid, and happiness is largely associated with confidence.

Note this doesn't apply for every drinker, but 100% does for some.

People have talked about it in this thread for crying out loud.

You are rather confused.

Not drinking does not 'decrease' confidence. Reread the passage I quoted and have a think about it for a moment.

^You're right.

Instead of writing this:

"Because not doing either of these things can subsequently decrease their happiness/confidence."

I should have written this:

"Because not doing either of these things can subsequently prevent their happiness/confidence from improving."

edit: although I would say that there are a significant number of ppl who when going out and cannot drink (possibly due to being a designated driver), choose to be miserable without genuinely trying to have a good time, and so in effect this is a decrease of enjoyment due to not having alcohol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Post here if you don't drink.

Back