Autopsy Post-Match Fremantle Vs Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Negative. Hill got absolutely no help from either his teammates or the umps. Every single stoppage I saw he had 2 arms wrapped around him before the bounce. Umpire could be standing 2 feet away and wouldn't even glance at him.

We need someone to put a solid block on these "hard tags". Sandi or Clarke could bump them off Hill and give him a bit of separation.

Negative. Hill got absolutely no help from either his teammates or the umps. Every single stoppage I saw he had 2 arms wrapped around him before the bounce. Umpire could be standing 2 feet away and wouldn't even glance at him.

We need someone to put a solid block on these "hard tags". Sandi or Clarke could bump them off Hill and give him a bit of separation.

De Boer gets a hard time on here but his hard work blocking in the packs is something we have been missing
I for one hope he will be recalled and you can put Suban into that equation as well.
Crosier is a nice outside player but hasnt got the inside grunt that De Boer puts in

So my account was suspended by Sydney mod after I politely suggest that they were incorrect that umps favoured Freo.

I officially cannot wait until that COLA tax is made obsolete and they have to start competing in the comp on even terms.

The game was like our season in a nutshell, moments of brilliance, moments of crap, but by and large being just kind of average.
Good enough for a lot of it but not in the moments when it mattered.

Sydney was able to control the stoppages for most of the game and prevented us from getting any real control of the game for long periods of the game .
They had players on both sides of the stoppages so who ever got the ball they were in position to apply pressure on our players or create space for their midfielders to run into . On occasions we won the ball at the stoppage they were able to apply pressure and cause the turnover .

I was particularly disappointed with the number of times senior players tried to kick the ball with a Sydney player in close waiting to smother the kick and they continued with the kick instead of baulking and going by hand or change direction throwing the covering player off balance .

We needed to be smarter across the half forward line and lower the eyes for a player in space or kick the ball into space for our small forwards to run onto a loose ball goal side .

Sydney are an experienced finals team that is well drilled and their midfield spreads faster and wider than any other team in the completion.

These were the key points for me. Sydney have plethora of skilled mids who will spread extremely well as soon as they gain possession. A short handball chain and then a kick. On the weekend we relied so much more on the player gaining possession kicking it straight out of congestion, which allowed them to smother or intercept the kick. Or I could be talking shit, was very boozed at the game.

- Hill/Pearce - When both of these guys have a rubbish game it really shows. We struggled to move the ball forward out of the clearances and they didn't provide any line breaking runs. If I had to point out one thing that cost us the game it was these two players and their inability to impact the game.

Yep, good point. I think we rely perhaps too much on these guys for delivery forward of centre.

Last edited:
Think we give ourselves less credit than we deserve.

Sydney were the minor premiers for many different reasons, some positive and some negative. They played a fairly excellent and straightforward game whereas we faltered in a number of areas. Naturally the umpiring didn't (and never has) helped. I think we may need to inject some experienced finals players into the side in the mold of Suban, Deboer etc and get back to basics.

Hill should have been moved onto the HBF or onto a HFF during the game . He would have then forced Sydney to make a choice of continuing the tag or take the risk of him getting off the chain and doing damage .
Hill is at his damaging best off the HBF , TBH I've said this all year but what would I know ,I'ved only watched the Sydney game from last year about 6 times .
But just for the record the modern game and the top teams today have their best playmaker on the HBF . Hodge ,McVeigh , Heppell , Dal Santo , Bartell and Westhoff .
We have been using Johnson and Duffield .
Johnson's injury has left a big hole and Hill can fill it because of his run and carry along with his abilities to hit targets and score goals .

These were the key points for me. Sydney have plethora of skilled mids who will spread extremely well as soon as they gain possession. A short handball chain and then a kick. On the weekend we relied so much more on the player gaining possession kicking it straight out of congestion, which allowed them to smother or intercept the kick. Or I could be talking shit, was very boozed at the game.

Yep, good point. I think we rely perhaps too much on these guys for delivery forward of centre.
Well observed, it's something that the Swans midfield works very hard on, so much close in handpassing, utilising Kennedy and Parker's physical strength and clean hands to move the ball out to the likes of McGlynn, Hannerbury, Jetta, etc, then long to the talls.

Well observed, it's something that the Swans midfield works very hard on, so much close in handpassing, utilising Kennedy and Parker's physical strength and clean hands to move the ball out to the likes of McGlynn, Hannerbury, Jetta, etc, then long to the talls.

Yeah normally the handball chain is something that we can exploit, by putting enough pressure on that a turnover occurs down the line - like in the Preliminary last year. However your spread out of congestion was too well executed yesterday for us to do that effectively.

So my account was suspended by Sydney mod after I politely suggest that they were incorrect that umps favoured Freo.

I officially cannot wait until that COLA tax is made obsolete and they have to start competing in the comp on even terms.
Unfortunately, they will then get the benefit of Academy players which they somehow managed to manipulate out of the AFL and the other club presidents. They will be sitting in the eight for another 10 years I'm afraid. Pretty sure I read somewhere that the free-kick count at half time was 18-7 against us, so you had a perfectly valid argument.

Unfortunately, they will then get the benefit of Academy players which they somehow managed to manipulate out of the AFL and the other club presidents. They will be sitting in the eight for another 10 years I'm afraid. Pretty sure I read somewhere that the free-kick count at half time was 18-7 against us, so you had a perfectly valid argument.

I thought so too and attempted to put it across without getting personal.

Think we give ourselves less credit than we deserve.

Sydney were the minor premiers for many different reasons, some positive and some negative. They played a fairly excellent and straightforward game whereas we faltered in a number of areas. Naturally the umpiring didn't (and never has) helped. I think we may need to inject some experienced finals players into the side in the mold of Suban, Deboer etc and get back to basics.
The basics, gets us 10 goals. We can't beat the best teams with that. We need to keep moving forward with the small changes we made in our game-plan to allow us to score more. All things being equal, i am hoping for an improved year next year.

The basics, gets us 10 goals. We can't beat the best teams with that. We need to keep moving forward with the small changes we made in our game-plan to allow us to score more. All things being equal, i am hoping for an improved year next year.

This year's not over yet, still think we can win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year's not over yet, still think we can win the flag.
If we can kick more goals than the opposition. No point going back into our shells now. We can't win it the old way, and we are not quite used to our new way, so we are stuck in between. If we get to the grand final it will most likely be against Sydney and we will need to score 13+ goals to beat them, it seems. They missed a heap of shots at goal and could have scored even more heavily if they had of kicked straight. I thought Sydney out-classed us and shut down all our weapons, so I'm not sure what would fix that. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if Ross went back to what he knows best and take the attitude he took into the grandfinal against Hawthorn and simply try and shut down all of their best players and try and scramble a win..

While Silvagni was exceptional he needs to provide himself as an option off the ball. There was one point in the first quarter where Duffield had the ball in the backpocket and was struggling to find a free man. Silvagni had a good 5-10m radius from any opposition but it was so obvious he did not want the ball and didn't make any effort for Duffman to notice him. Ball ended up going long and coming straight back in.

We already have a player like that in Dawson and it's something both MJ and Macca are brilliant at which we sorely missed. SCOS's skills aren't that bad either so he shouldn't be so afraid.

While Silvagni was exceptional he needs to provide himself as an option off the ball. There was one point in the first quarter where Duffield had the ball in the backpocket and was struggling to find a free man. Silvagni had a good 5-10m radius from any opposition but it was so obvious he did not want the ball and didn't make any effort for Duffman to notice him. Ball ended up going long and coming straight back in.

We already have a player like that in Dawson and it's something both MJ and Macca are brilliant at which we sorely missed. SCOS's skills aren't that bad either so he shouldn't be so afraid.

I think I remember the moment you're talking about - I thought Silvagni called for it but Duffield didn't give it, then the space was more or less closed down quite quickly and it would've been a risky kick.

I do agree with your general point though - he could be a lot more confident about being a free option for the switch etc.

I think I remember the moment you're talking about - I thought Silvagni called for it but Duffield didn't give it, then the space was more or less closed down quite quickly and it would've been a risky kick.

I do agree with your general point though - he could be a lot more confident about being a free option for the switch etc.
I'm not being sarcastic when I say he was probably too wound up inside trying to keep an eye on buddy the whole time.

I thought he did a very good job on Buddy, the free against for high was there, but only just, many of those have gone unawarded this year. Buddy got off the leash when he went into the midfield. In hindsight it was a very clever move.

If we can kick more goals than the opposition. No point going back into our shells now. We can't win it the old way, and we are not quite used to our new way, so we are stuck in between. If we get to the grand final it will most likely be against Sydney and we will need to score 13+ goals to beat them, it seems. They missed a heap of shots at goal and could have scored even more heavily if they had of kicked straight. I thought Sydney out-classed us and shut down all our weapons, so I'm not sure what would fix that. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if Ross went back to what he knows best and take the attitude he took into the grandfinal against Hawthorn and simply try and shut down all of their best players and try and scramble a win..

I reckon the size of the ground (smallest in the AFL)was a definite factor on our weapons being closed down.Ballas,Walters and Tabs(not saying he's a weapon) need that big space to run into,works well at subi and it'll probably work just as well at the MCG.I just pray we can get over Port and see how we go against the hawks in a fortnight.

I reckon the size of the ground (smallest in the AFL)was a definite factor on our weapons being closed down.Ballas,Walters and Tabs(not saying he's a weapon) need that big space to run into,works well at subi and it'll probably work just as well at the MCG.I just pray we can get over Port and see how we go against the hawks in a fortnight.
Game was at ANZ not the SCG (which is the smallest ground in the AFL). Anz is narrow though....160 x 118.

Ballantyne was shut down by Nick Smith, probably the best small defender in the league IMHO. My group of mates call him "The Bermuda Triangle" because anyone who goes near him disappears. Smith was outstanding in that game, I mean when was the last time Ballantyne had 7 touches in a game.

I thought you guys were impressive and kept coming at us the whole time. Pav was amazing, (he is in my top 5 favourite non-Swans players and Fyfe is on his way there). Silvagni was great too, not his fault that Longmire moved Franklin away from him. Well actually it was his fault,Longmire was forced to act because your defence was working too well. Can't see Port beating you guys over there, and you should fancy your chances against the Hawks, though that will be a tough match. Good Luck.

Game was at ANZ not the SCG (which is the smallest ground in the AFL). Anz is narrow though....160 x 118.

Ballantyne was shut down by Nick Smith, probably the best small defender in the league IMHO. My group of mates call him "The Bermuda Triangle" because anyone who goes near him disappears. Smith was outstanding in that game, I mean when was the last time Ballantyne had 7 touches in a game.

I thought you guys were impressive and kept coming at us the whole time. Pav was amazing, (he is in my top 5 favourite non-Swans players and Fyfe is on his way there). Silvagni was great too, not his fault that Longmire moved Franklin away from him. Well actually it was his fault,Longmire was forced to act because your defence was working too well. Can't see Port beating you guys over there, and you should fancy your chances against the Hawks, though that will be a tough match. Good Luck.
Cheers. The field is shorter than Subi but not much narrower so we should have coped better. Smith deserves credit, but I also thought our midfield was down and it made it more difficult for our forward line in general. You are not the best backline in the comp for nothing and you saw some of the reason we are second best. Johnson and McPharlin would have made it a little easier for us though, had they been available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post-Match Fremantle Vs Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back