Autopsy Post-Match Fremantle Vs Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Game was at ANZ not the SCG (which is the smallest ground in the AFL). Anz is narrow though....160 x 118.

Ballantyne was shut down by Nick Smith, probably the best small defender in the league IMHO. My group of mates call him "The Bermuda Triangle" because anyone who goes near him disappears. Smith was outstanding in that game, I mean when was the last time Ballantyne had 7 touches in a game.

I thought you guys were impressive and kept coming at us the whole time. Pav was amazing, (he is in my top 5 favourite non-Swans players and Fyfe is on his way there). Silvagni was great too, not his fault that Longmire moved Franklin away from him. Well actually it was his fault,Longmire was forced to act because your defence was working too well. Can't see Port beating you guys over there, and you should fancy your chances against the Hawks, though that will be a tough match. Good Luck.

ANZ stadium 160x118 just under 19,000m2

SCG 149x136 just over 20,000m2

SCG is roughly 1/4 of an acre bigger.

Game was at ANZ not the SCG (which is the smallest ground in the AFL). Anz is narrow though....160 x 118.

Ballantyne was shut down by Nick Smith, probably the best small defender in the league IMHO. My group of mates call him "The Bermuda Triangle" because anyone who goes near him disappears. Smith was outstanding in that game, I mean when was the last time Ballantyne had 7 touches in a game.

I thought you guys were impressive and kept coming at us the whole time. Pav was amazing, (he is in my top 5 favourite non-Swans players and Fyfe is on his way there). Silvagni was great too, not his fault that Longmire moved Franklin away from him. Well actually it was his fault,Longmire was forced to act because your defence was working too well. Can't see Port beating you guys over there, and you should fancy your chances against the Hawks, though that will be a tough match. Good Luck.

NB: measurements were square

No. Its just that everybody says that if Sydney start losing games, the supporters will drop off and the AFL will lose its tentative foothold in the fickle Sydney AFL market. Do you think that is true. Although I know you can't speak for all Sydney supporters.
This might give you an idea.

zmGUPrJ.png

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...s-boarding-the-bandwagon-20140906-10crvh.html

They won a premiership two years ago and still need to instruct the locals on how to support them. They AFL would have spent over $100 million over the past couple of decades on boosting footy in Sydney and the growth is marginal.

Those kinds of articles have been popping up for over 20 years. It was at least an exciting thing to read when Lockett played for them.

Fair enough, but they have a solid supporter base and they rightfully resent the implication that they will walk as soon as the team starts losing. The AFL will never be satisfied until they have the whole of Sydney supporting footy. It will never happen and I am not prepared to keep giving Sydney concessions until it happens (as it won't anyway). The AFL should lower its sights and be more patient, they will make some in road but it will take a long time. I will never support rugby league as long as I live, but the chances are that the next generation of WA sports followers will grow up with greater access to rugby league and might learn to enjoy it. The same applies in non AFL states.

This might give you an idea.

zmGUPrJ.png

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...s-boarding-the-bandwagon-20140906-10crvh.html

They won a premiership two years ago and still need to instruct the locals on how to support them. They AFL would have spent over $100 million over the past couple of decades on boosting footy in Sydney and the growth is marginal.

Those kinds of articles have been popping up for over 20 years. It was at least an exciting thing to read when Lockett played for them.
Even the Australian of the year can't point them in the right direction.
35000 for a final is dismal

p.s the Afl have spent millions and millions of dollars on Sydney all to get a better tV deal and more sponsorship. Maybe all that extra money wouldn't be necessary if we stopped pissing so much money up the Sydney wall. Melbourne, SA , WA, Tassie, NT are the life blood of football. We survived without Sydney before and we would again if necessary. But in truth it isn't necessary. They have a small but solid foothold that will grow as they expand grassroots AFL in the non-AFL states.

Fair enough, but they have a solid supporter base and they rightfully resent the implication that they will walk as soon as the team starts losing.
They can resent it as much as they like - they've never been tested. Well, not since at least 1993, but few of their current fans were around then. Freo fans have had years in the doldrums and still shown up regardless.

36,000 is the kind of crowd Freo gets against Gold Coast in home and away. Not in a final after finishing top of the ladder with the best forward in the league putting on a show.

They can resent it as much as they like - they've never been tested. Well, not since at least 1993, but few of their current fans were around then. Freo fans have had years in the doldrums and still shown up regardless.

36,000 is the kind of crowd Freo gets against Gold Coast in home and away. Not in a final after finishing top of the ladder with the best forward in the league putting on a show.
The western Reds couldn't survive here, but Sydney Swans have managed to survive in Sydney for 30 years.

The western Reds couldn't survive here, but Sydney Swans have managed to survive in Sydney for 30 years.

Difference was that rugby league went through the trauma of Super League. Neither competition that resulted from the split could support expansionist clubs. Remains to be seen whether GWS survives.

Very impressed with Nick Smith, love to have him at Freo. You guys have a knack for signing players up to long term contracts just before they become AA quality, Parker and Smith as examples.

Difference was that rugby league went through the trauma of Super League. Neither competition that resulted from the split could support expansionist clubs. Remains to be seen whether GWS survives.
What does surviving mean in the AFL? If they don't make money, more money gets taken off the richer clubs to prop you up. You don't fail anymore you go on welfare. We will be funneling money into Western Sydney ad nauseum for the next 50 years. At least Sydney needs to get off the teat.

What does surviving mean in the AFL? If they don't make money, more money gets taken off the richer clubs to prop you up. You don't fail anymore you go on welfare. We will be funneling money into Western Sydney ad nauseum for the next 50 years. At least Sydney needs to get off the teat.
GWS will either fold or be shifted to Canberra within 20 years IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS will either fold or be shifted to Canberra within 20 years IMO.
They get crowds of 7-10 thousand in Canberra. How can you possibly survive. I guess the pollies could cough up. No, it will be Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, West Coast and Adelaide to the rescue. again.

They get crowds of 7-10 thousand in Canberra. How can you possibly survive. I guess the pollies could cough up. No, it will be Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, West Coast and Adelaide to the rescue. again.
They already get a fair bit of coin from the ACT govt for playing three games a year there.

The govt there are planning on building a multipurpose stadium near the CBD. I imagine for the AFL there's a contingency plan in the works if the Western Sydney experiment goes wrong.

They already get a fair bit of coin from the ACT govt for playing three games a year there.

The govt there are planning on building a multipurpose stadium near the CBD. I imagine for the AFL there's a contingency plan in the works if the Western Sydney experiment goes wrong.
The AFL are already 19 million in debt. How much is it going to be before we find out if GWS is going to work? Not to mention Gold Coast, Brisbane, St Kilda, Melbourne (who is on life support), and, Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, who are receiving welfare. And they are only the ones I know about. Sydney doesn't make a profit either I don't think.
I find it hard to believe the AFL receives a much larger tv deal if there is no interest in Sydney for the game. You can't make advertising dollars if no-one is watching your program.
35,000 crowd in the wet against Freo at ANZ stadium is probably as much as you could expect. If they had of played Collingwood or Richmond they probably would have gotten 60,000

35,000 crowd in the wet against Freo at ANZ stadium is probably as much as you could expect. If they had of played Collingwood or Richmond they probably would have gotten 60,000
They got over 40,000 for an elimination final when it absolutely sheeted down against West Coast in 2004.

After all the success, all the investments, footy's gone no further in a decade.

I think we have swapped arguments. Are you saying it is a waste of money?
I'm saying that competition should no longer be tilted in favour of one club. Or as it will be in the future, two clubs.

I'm saying that competition should no longer be tilted in favour of one club. Or as it will be in the future, two clubs.
Can i have that in simple English.I won't carry on much longer because I will be taking a boring law book to bed soon, but I don't get what you are saying.

I never gave a shit about COLA until the weekend, after watching the COLA pull a couple of goals out of his arse that knocked the stuffing out of us. What bastardry.

I never gave a shit about COLA until the weekend, after watching the COLA pull a couple of goals out of his arse that knocked the stuffing out of us. What bastardry.
You wait till you see their two top five draft picks, that they are going to get for next to nothing in the next two drafts, that they are going to add to a midfield that made our midfield look mediocre. Then you will really get pissed off. Not to mention Tom Mitchell who they have up their sleeve and can't even get a game.

You wait till you see their two top five draft picks, that they are going to get for next to nothing in the next two drafts, that they are going to add to a midfield that made our midfield look mediocre. Then you will really get pissed off. Not to mention Tom Mitchell who they have up their sleeve and can't even get a game.
Is that due to father/son? I don't mind that so much. Anyway, I've pretty much decided that whatever happens this season, I'm giving up following footy. You've got three more weeks of me, Fremantle.

Can i have that in simple English.I won't carry on much longer because I will be taking a boring law book to bed soon, but I don't get what you are saying.

Money being invested to grow the game in non-footy areas is a good thing.

Money invested such that clubs in non-footy areas have an inordinate amount of success is not.

The AFL equates the two things as the same. Yet the results after thirty years of investment and recent success suggest the trickle down effect of Sydney winning premierships isn't that fruitful.

---

If Sydney win this year, six of the past 14 premierships have been won by two clubs with salary cap concessions. Even if they don't, it is likely Hawthorn will. That means eight of the past ten premierships have been shared between three clubs, with the two other clubs winning one each being the richest in the league.

For an organisation that regulates player movements to the nth degree in the interests of equalisation, this is a pretty ordinary result for what they purport to aim for. And in the medium term it will only get worse, given the best youth in the league will be playing in front of tiny crowds for the next decade.

Is that due to father/son? I don't mind that so much. Anyway, I've pretty much decided that whatever happens this season, I'm giving up following footy. You've got three more weeks of me, Fremantle.
No academy. They get father and son as well. and I do mind, but only because they are not giving up close to market value for the players. Sorry to hear you are leaving the fold hopefully you will return after a little break. I'm getting a little frustrated with the game but my reasons are more due to the afl and the inequality of the competition. The academy players for free to the premiership favourites was the last straw for me. Hope you drop in to big footy from time to time. Goodnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post-Match Fremantle Vs Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back