Review Post Match Review Coll v Richmond: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Magpie_Magic

All Australian
Feb 7, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are happening every week.

We went from 50 odd points up to what 26 up? Are we playing Richmond or Geelong? It's unbelievable our team would let that team come back like that. What is going on with these lapses? Every week we just drop off and don't give a yelp.

It's going to cost us against a really good side. We might win tonight but do it against Essendon next week and we could end up losing because of this stupidity. Especially when it's happening in trhe third quarters. Games aren't won in a half of football and getting 6.3 kicked against us in a quarter by bloody Richmond is RIDICULOUS.

They should treat this game like a loss IF they manage to hold on.

Re: These lapses

I don't mind having lapses in April, and still winning by 71, we're playing sides that have had 5 weeks extra break

don't forget, we won the pre-season shenanigans, so we can turn it on when needed

Re: These Lapses

Every AFL club have talented and quality players. It's insane to expect the better team to always be better than who they're playing. Each team will have their spells of dominance in a game.

Re: Match Review Coll v Richmond: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Thread

Good
Cloke and Dawes
Blair good again
Thomas just on fire
Swan much better
Toovey cameo
Harry good again

Bad
Beams cut up by deledio in the 3rd
The entire 3rd quarter
Wellers not great
Davis as a defender, not gonna happen, maybe try a wing but Thomas is better there, so look I'm not convinced

Ugly
Our ruck stocks, please please stay fit jolly
The entire 3rd quarter again

i maintain some folk have spent the summer watching the victory pack over & over (and rightly so) and its now assumed we have to play like those performances every week.

12 months ago you all would have been mighty satisfied with a 12 goal win against anyone, true ?

jolly on song is great to have, but considering our midfield talent, and essendons lack of same, if we play wood again next week it aint gonna hurt to rove to the opposition ruckman. we have the talent. the great hawks team did it for 10 years with huge success.

we have no reason to fear ANYONE. mix the game plan & strategies to suit of course, maintain the game intensity long enough to keep winning, and otherwise enjoy the games.

Wellingham - ready for a Macaffer type demotion?? But who can replace him? Buckley, Fasalo, Bolton, McCarthy?? Interesting VFL game this week....

Wood/L Brown - Reid injury hurts Wood....

Tarrant - improving every week.

Krakouer - Dick must be close to taking his spot.

Lapses? Pfft....we have what only the best teams do, and its called a switch. We don't need to waste energy levels at this stage of the season, and fans disapointed with that 3rd quarter need to realise its part of the game, and although poor, we were always in control as usual.

Personally thought Daisy was by far our best tonight, worked ridiculously hard both ways, much more so than Swan. Swan's stats flattered him a lot tonight I thought. Shaw and Ball were both good for the majority of the night, as was Cloke. Dawes flickered in and out a little, got visibly frustrated with some of the manhandling he was coping which was understandable.

If McCarthy has a good game tomorrow Wellingham is going to be watching the Anzac day game from the stands. Reverting to old habits is Sharrod, played like an absolute pansy tonight. Wood wasn't much better, started off okay and then completely went to ground. Far too often Wood just throws the hands up and resigns himself to thinking he can't affect the contest. I'm not sure whether it's lack of fitness or lack of intestinal fortitude, but too often he prefers to sit back on his haunches and let someone else deal with it. He needs to throw his body around once the ball hits the deck, he is useless sitting back outside the pack waiting for a cheapy because it's never going to come to him.

Every AFL club have talented and quality players. It's insane to expect the better team to always be better than who they're playing. Each team will have their spells of dominance in a game.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. People need to keep their expectations in check. Just because we are a better team than Richmond doesn't necessarily equate to us dominating every minute of play against them. They got on top of us in the third through quick and precise ball movement, it's against hard to stop a team once they get that sort of momentum.

I think Richmond showed at times how vulnerable the press can be if counteracted correctly. You could tell Richmond had trained in a specific manner to break it open and it worked when they actually manage to hit targets. I also noticed them trying to deliberately draw multiple tacklers to the player with the ball and then getting that player to quickly dispose of it to a predetermined 'get out' target up field. Thought we needed to be a bit more switched on to it, it's okay to live by that swarm tackling mantra, but at times we were just getting duped into being drawn to the ball carrier when realistically they were never going to affect the contest.

i maintain some folk have spent the summer watching the victory pack over & over (and rightly so) and its now assumed we have to play like those performances every week.

12 months ago you all would have been mighty satisfied with a 12 goal win against anyone, true ?

jolly on song is great to have, but considering our midfield talent, and essendons lack of same, if we play wood again next week it aint gonna hurt to rove to the opposition ruckman. we have the talent. the great hawks team did it for 10 years with huge success.

we have no reason to fear ANYONE. mix the game plan & strategies to suit of course, maintain the game intensity long enough to keep winning, and otherwise enjoy the games.

This :thumbsu:

I think many are trying to compare these games to the 1st half vs Geelong in the PF. That game against geelong was one that we probably will not see again.

Have a look at the stats for last year (2010)

1st qtrs we lost 5, 2nd qtrs 6, 3rd 7, 4th 13.

so far this year

1st qtrs lost 1, 2nd 0, 3rd 2, 4th 0

We start fast and really put teams on the back foot. We can't be expected to win every single qtr of every game. The 3rd qtr aginst PA and tonite are a little of bit concern, but we if 30-40-50 pts in front at half time, we will win just about every game. Most teams will come out after half time and throw everything into the game....but we now have the talent to re-group and then over run the teams in 4th qtr. Before 2010 and this year, we would lose a number of these games.

We have average winning margin of 65 pts....common guys pretty good.... even Geelong after 4 rounds in 2008 only had 45 pts winning margin.

Next 4 weeks we have some bigger challenges, and i expect MM will have the team ready for this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davis is finished.

His tackles never stick and he has far too many soft efforts, going one handed to pick up the ball, shirking body contact etc. He's no longer damaging enough to overlook his softness. Don't want him in the team.

There is no place in the team for him. Not in our best 22 anymore. Dick and Macaffer are both ahead of him as a forward and he's a shit defender.

I don't like saying this and appreciate his years at the club but he is the Lockyer/O'Bree of 2011.

Dick4AnzacDay please.

Good Bits

Win by 71pts we should be over the moon about that!!
No obvious injury concerns

Best games for several players.. thought Didak, esp late, showed a bit of his old mojo.

Leroy I thought was good, best game for him. Sidey also was good.

Cloke and Dawes were good, esp Cloke.

Swannie and Daisy both outstanding, Blair good again

Richmond showed a fair bit at times and Deledio, Martin were very good

The Bad.

The third quarter wtf??
The tackling pressure...where's that gone
Leroy reported...has he got carry over points. or will his open handed slap be chucked out.

If he gets one and the thug Campbell Brown gets two for the elbow, won't be happy.

Ugly

Pendles' dreads...seriously the only white man on the planet with dreads???
I'm struggling to take him seriously.

These fadeouts. Do we actually need a loss?

yeah yeah, these moments where we fall asleep aren't good, but crap, are we believing the hype so much we are that we view 70 point wins as a disappointment? we're good, but we're still a footy team playing other footy teams. no game is a walk in the park, and at the moment we're losing the plot for a while, and still winning easily. fact is, if we bring a manic intensity for four quarters, we won't be beaten, and i trust we will bring that in September. i don't mind if we don't bring it in April.

I'm bloody enjoying this, and the a$$hole side of me enjoyed the tigers supporters jumping around with hope, then seeing them crushed down again. :eek:

Good
Most of us, really. The usual suspects, plus a pretty good game from Sidey and Taz.

Bad
Wood - Was there, but wasn't great.
Wellingham - kicking is pretty average at the moment
Tackling - thought we were a bit off tonight sticking our tackles.

Ugle
Krack - looked completely out of touch. What was with him tonight?

Good
AFL - a nice soft start to get the engine warmed up while winning by huge margins
Bad
Playing worse then we did at the start of last year (despite the fact that we are winning)
Ugle
Wood's timing in the centre. He needs time in the middle at AFL level. A few times when he got it right it looked really good. When he got it wrong, he got it really wrong.

We don't need to play full intensity for 4 quarters this time of year. Save that for later. I doubt I was alone in knowing that we were just going to put the foot down again in the last quarter and blow Richmond away. The only difference to last year is we have dropped in intensity during the 3rd quarter rather than the 4th.

Swan and Thomas were awesome.

Krak and Wellingham were poor. They had better hope Dick and J-Mac have quiet ones tomorrow, otherwise their spots could be in jeopardy.

Davis is finished.

Round 4 and we just won by 71 points, bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Davis has a fair bit left in him yet, would be surprised if this is his last year let alone his last game.

Needs a bit of time to grow into a new role, no surprises there. He was at a bit of a disadvantage tonight when Toovey didn't play. Normally you'd like to see him playing a bit higher up the ground than he had to tonight, he got forced to cover too deep, too often I thought.

Good Bits

Leroy reported...has he got carry over points. or will his open handed slap be chucked out.

Leigh got reported in R21 last year against Adelaide and had 45 pts carry over after tripping Stokes in R19, so took his 1 week. (Josh Fraser played R22 and got his 200th)

So my guess is no points carry over points, but his bad record will count against him, so will incur a penalty if found guilty by the MRP and thus an early plea will not get any discount.

That said it was 50 metre penalty but heck not reportable. It was a open hand slap to the back of head....MRP should throw it out.

Happy with a win, but the score does not truly represent the game itself. People who are saying that the 3rd quarter should be expected, and are happy with the team playing like that are wrong.

Sure, we can't always be expected to play 4 quarters of dominance but our 3rd quarter tonight should not have been a RICHMOND domination. Our intensity and pressure was horrible in that 3rd quarter, and if it was not a Richmond side we were playing tonight then the start of the 4th quarter would have been even and then who knows what the end result would be.

The good

Pendlebury and Swans injuries were only minor and played the rest of the game.
4th quarter, good tackling

The bad

Krakeour
O'briens defensive work
3rd quarter- lack of intensity, pressure and tackles wouldn't stick

Disappointed with the 3rd quarter but Cotchin, Martin & Deledio are bloody quality. We got killed out of the middle in that quarter.

April footy. Still winning while not playing our best. Good enough for me at this point.

Good
------

# Alan Didak (especially his last quarter, had me giggling with joy):D
# 71 point win
# last quarter
# Alan Toovey's impact
# Jarryd Blair, best half forward goal contributor in the comp

Bad
------

# 3rd quarter, just lacked intensity
# Andrew Krakouer, sorry, was our worst player
# Backline, leaked too many goals, although having Toovey and O'Brien on the bench for most of the 3rd quarter doesn't help, and Maxwell is still 2-3 weeks away from his best

Ugly
------

# Leigh Brown incident, seemed reportable, haven't seen a replay yet though
# middle 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter, reminded me of the Port Adelaide game
# Ben Reid's handballs under pressure, cost us 3 goals directly tonight

I'm not too unhappy though, we won by 71 points, and still have a heap of improvement in us.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Post Match Review Coll v Richmond: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back