Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 93-67 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Always a nice feeling to be back on the winners list. We haven't experienced it for over a month, so hopefully it gives the playing group and coaches a much needed morale boost.

Can't say I'm convinced we've a turned a corner yet as I mentioned earlier, but at least it's given us a purpose to keep pushing for finals for another week.

Nick played one of his most dominant matches I've seen, by recorded a career-high 42 disposals and did as he please.

Very happy for Dan McStay that he's starting to re-adjust well back into senior football after a long absence. 3 goals and being an aerial presence up forward is what we've needed and what we want to see from the big fella. His inclusion will enhance our forward line.

I thought Bytel showed plenty of promise, but his disposal let him down at various stages so definitely something he needs to work on. Parker looks like a promising prospect with some really good defensive efforts.

Next week is the big one. Must do everything in our power to win it and honour Pendles in the right manner.

This.
I was at the game. He was loose in space and unaccountable. The stats lie. We’re lucky Richmond are so garbage.
Yeah. I was there. His disposal was very poor with 4 direct turnovers early without pressure. He stabs at his kicks at time off no step that doesn't help. His disposal improved after half time.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yea gets lost up forward but would be the perfect Murphy replacement. Ideally we can target him for FA next year if we lose out on Battle this year

Talented in a contest, but he's got a bit of the Billy Frampton space cadet about him. I think Balta would get even more lost in our defence than he gets lost up forward for the Tigers.

Always a nice feeling to be back on the winners list. We haven't experienced it for over a month, so hopefully it gives the playing group and coaches a much needed morale boost.

Can't say I'm convinced we've a turned a corner yet as I mentioned earlier, but at least it's given us a purpose to keep pushing for finals for another week.

Nick played one of his most dominant matches I've seen, by recorded a career-high 42 disposals and did as he please.

Very happy for Dan McStay that he's starting to re-adjust well back into senior football after a long absence. 3 goals and being an aerial presence up forward is what we've needed and what we want to see from the big fella. His inclusion will enhance our forward line.

I thought Bytel showed plenty of promise, but his disposal let him down at various stages so definitely something he needs to work on. Parker looks like a promising prospect with some really good defensive efforts.

Next week is the big one. Must do everything in our power to win it and honour Pendles in the right manner.

I thought Parker looked very slow, opponent burnt him for pace several times, made him look like he was standing still.

Good to see this week we've finally started standing right on the mark instead of the ""outside 5"" approach we've been taken until now. I have been calling that for weeks. Outside 5 is good if the opposition is playing on a lot, but if it is a kick and mark style (which has destroyed us recently) you want to take away that extra room.

Fly's presser

Last week, you said you were on the verge of "playing like losers". How did you see the performance today?
"I thought we clearly looked more predictable to each other, so those seeds needed to be planted early in the week and our coaches were awesome this week in terms of getting everybody on the same page and coaching the layers. When you have a performance you're not proud of, there's a lot of things that you start to question and go 'oh, what about this? What about this?' and then most of the stuff that we focused on we thought we could control some of the ripple effects of others parts of our game that weren't on song. Credit to our coaches and players for being way more predictable this week and then narrowing the focus around some things that matter for us".
How did you end up finding more of your style of your game?
"Yeah, I think most people could see there's a long of things that were much improved. It was a step forward, no doubting that. Not just because of the scoreboard, [but] just because of method and reliability and trust and predictability. Some of the layers of our game were there for others to see and judge, but I know internally it wasn't really about the outcome, but more about how we went about it. Today we took a step forward in that regard".
Mason Cox coming back in and Dan McStay kicking a few goals. How important was it having these tall guys in your forward line?
"I've said this for weeks on end, it's been difficult. It's been a revolving door. It's certainly been a tough time for our forwards in terms of personnel changes [which] has been consistent. It's just nice to have some guys there that you just know if we're in certain phases of the game, we can go to them. Dan [McStay] kicked three goals and Mason [Cox] was really important at times too. It just straightened us up a little bit".
You put it on your leaders last week. Some of them had pretty big games today. How did you see their performances?
"Yeah, I thought it was Darcy's [Moore] best game for a long time. 13 intercept possessions. You know, I think he had a close to the same amount of spoils, but he just looked back to his best going for the ball. Strong contest. You got to start at the top, and start with myself and in other parts of our game. We go 'come on, let's get better in these areas' and credit to them and the leaders and others. We're not shying away from wanting to be a better version of ourselves. It starts early in the week, and then today was the exam day. It was all about studying for today, and we passed this test".

How did you see Nick Daicos' performance?
"We come here wanting to not make a statement, but somewhat make amends or for our fans in particular, like show up. Turn up and show the fans that's not us. Well, Nick [Daicos] had 18 [disposals] in the first quarter didn't he? It's a fair way to say that's not us and this is where we're going. He's a remarkable young man that has this ability to just know what we need when we need it. From a first day back from the pre-season, winning time trials. We rested him this week to give him energy. Geez, he had plenty of energy. It's hard to keep adding more affirmation to a young man that has just been quite remarkable".
Not an ideal situation with Jordan De Goey being withdrawn yesterday, and then Joe Richards today. Has Joe Richards got gastro?
"Yeah, he came in for Jordy because we thought we may need an extra forward in our line up that we potentially didn't have in our emergencies. Then he got sick with gastro. It's unfortunate for him that he pulled out, but guys get opportunities. Ned [Long] played quite well and gave us a real presence around the ball. Sull [Lachie Sullivan] comes on late in the game and shows energy. Wil Parker comes in and shows energy in moments. It's pleasing the guys to step up and just be reliable. Jack Bytel had his best game for us, just being reliable. It's pleasing when we got guys playing roles for us and doing it well".
How's De Goey looking going forward?
"It's an unknown one. It's difficult. I don't know how to comment on it. I'll leave it for Jarrod Wade to do that early midweek. It's difficult to know what's going on there for me. I'll leave that for others to make comments and other than he looked really sore this week. He's been looking sore early in the week and we de-loaded him and running in straight lines and getting him to a line. This week he looked really sore, so we'll work through that".
Is it at the point that De Goey's season is in doubt, or is it an ongoing assessment?
"Ongoing would be the way I'd describe it at the moment. Each week seems to start in the same place. Maybe not playing this week might help us start in a different place. Again, I'll wait and see on that".
Was Scott Pendlebury being subbed off purely precautionary?
"Well, we went into this game I wanted to start Pendles as the sub but when Jordy went down and other moving parts we thought just with his load management, we had a 6-day break coming up. He's got a big game next week too. Just a pretty small milestone for him. But we wanted to get in a position where hopefully we could sub him out and three quarter time presented that".
Important result today, how do you see the final month of the season?
"We're going to stay here. Reality is we've taken a step forward, but there's more steps to be taken. It's been a while since I've had a red wine replay. I'm enjoying looking forward to having a glass of red tonight and look at all the good and positive things that we've moved. We got stuck for a few weeks. We got stuck in ourselves and it was nice to step forward today".
How big is the week coming up with Pendlebury's 400th game and the buildup against a big rival?
"I'm keen to stay here for the moment, but well aware that this is a big game for our footy club. Big game for our footy club. We'll celebrate the individuals that we need to and then pay respect to the game".
Any other injury concerns?
"Not at the moment".

Good to win but that was a horrible game to watch.

We were going through the motions in the last quarter with the eyes on next week.
Shame because we needed the percentage. Tough going when you have three VFL quality players in the midfield.

Some of the delivery forward was abysmal today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to win ugly and bank the 4 points. Still a bit of rust but there were periods in the game that were much closer to what we were delivering last year.

Enjoy your victory - personal attacks on players make you the hero.
Well done - you should be proud.
Spinny, my attack isn’t personal. It’s based on his performance.
That’s professional.
And it’s across a sample of more than just yesterday’s rubbish game.
And you just don’t pick the sarcastic exclamation at the end of the post.
So please don’t play the fake moral high ground like you’ve never had a moment.

That’s professional.
"I hate him. He shits me" doesn't sound like a professional criticism to me.

That’s professional.

Professional? What’s the name of your governing body?

The Ancient Order of Random Dickheads Posting on Social Media?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could you please explain that?
Cos all I saw was a guy routinely guarding grass, being loose, not manning up and usually taking too long to dispose of the ball.
Just got away with it against crap opposition.

I’ve haven’t seen a greater momentum killer since trying to open the condom in the dark.
Fly disagreed completely with you in his presser

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 93-67 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back