Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 93-67 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

An ordinary game against an ordinary and injury-affected side (as one of their fans kept telling me, and fair enough).

But I still liked the win, and will take the four points.😊

For the naysayers, who seem to enjoy being perennially miserable and negative, when we lost (or drew) games due to being similarly injury-affected, did you play down the opposition’s win?

Talented in a contest, but he's got a bit of the Billy Frampton space cadet about him. I think Balta would get even more lost in our defence than he gets lost up forward for the Tigers.
Agree - Murphy was a smart footballer but I think Balta would struggle with nuance required in our defense. I think he’s a “point and shoot” type, lack of creativity and quick thinking compared to Murphy, would be his downfall.

An ordinary game against an ordinary and injury-affected side (as one of their fans kept telling me, and fair enough).

But I still liked the win, and will take the four points.😊

For the naysayers, who seem to enjoy being perennially miserable and negative, when we lost (or drew) games due to being similarly injury-affected, did you play down the opposition’s win?

It depends on context

Against the Dogs I did. We didn't play poorly and without desire/passion against the Dogs.

We just kicked poorly in the first quarter and ran out of legs carrying too many VFL fit players. Umps were farcical to boot. We also made some pretty poor selection/strategic decisions.

But against St.Kilda? Essendon? Gold Coast? Geelong? Those losses didn't have anything to do with injuries. We played like rat shit and played with zero desire, didn't apply pressure, didn't run....nothing.

For me it's not about just purely winning or losing. Its about how we play. Yeah, we beat Richmond. Cool. But we played like crap doing so against the only team in the comp with an injury list that has been worse than ours for the entirety of the season. They're also playing a lot of inexperienced kids.

Our injury list isn't even that bad anymore. We're missing De Goey (temporarily), Mitchell and Mihocek. That's basically it? Beau is back this week, McStay is back, Cox is back. We're as close to "full strength" as we've since the start of the season. Funnily enough, that was also the last time this season we've played this poorly.

So I don't really blame injuries for this season. Yeah it hasn't helped, but we had plenty of injuries last year and won the flag. This year's issues haven't been because of injuries. It's definitely been other stuff.

Context matters.

Fly disagreed completely with you in his presser
Fly said it was his best game for us. And it was.
He racked up stats unchecked by rubbish opposition.
It doesn’t alter my view that Bytel is a transitional player for us at best.
Surely we should be expecting better?
Having said that, I fully expect he’ll be selected next week given his stats. So at least you won’t be left wondering.

Fly said it was his best game for us. And it was.
He racked up stats unchecked by rubbish opposition.
It doesn’t alter my view that Bytel is a transitional player for us at best.
Surely we should be expecting better?
Having said that, I fully expect he’ll be selected next week given his stats. So at least you won’t be left wondering.
we shall see - with McCreey back and Allan having BOG .. there maybe a change - Jpoe Richards also in frame form gastor - guess they will pick best matchups with scum this week

Last edited:
A win is a win but my concerns about our ball movement remain.

And we can’t rely on the Daicos brothers to combine for 74 possessions every game.

Sidebottom 12 possessions
Lipinski 9 possessions
WHE 7 possessions
Quaynor 10 possessions
Parker 9 possessions
Harrison 4 possessions

We starve too many of our players on the outside opportunities to get onto the ball and impact the game. We instead just opt to kick long up the line to a contest. There were time Richmond trapped us in our backline because we kept kicking it to the rucks and they won the the contest after. We need to try and switch it more, hold possession for a bit before going up the line and hand passing to the runners to gain more ground pulling the trigger up the line.

Also not a fan of Moore and Howe taking the majority of kick ins when Josh Daicos is down there. I get it for when he’s stuck up the ground and Howe is closer but when a Daicos is close enough to the kick ins a Daicos should take it.

A win is a win but my concerns about our ball movement remain.

And we can’t rely on the Daicos brothers to combine for 74 possessions every game.

Sidebottom 12 possessions
Lipinski 9 possessions
WHE 7 possessions
Quaynor 10 possessions
Parker 9 possessions
Harrison 4 possessions

We starve too many of our players on the outside opportunities to get onto the ball and impact the game. We instead just opt to kick long up the line to a contest. There were time Richmond trapped us in our backline because we kept kicking it to the rucks and they won the the contest after. We need to try and switch it more, hold possession for a bit before going up the line and hand passing to the runners to gain more ground pulling the trigger up the line.

Also not a fan of Moore and Howe taking the majority of kick ins when Josh Daicos is down there. I get it for when he’s stuck up the ground and Howe is closer but when a Daicos is close enough to the kick ins a Daicos should take it.
i'm more encouraged by our highest I50 count since RD 9, and a season record I50 marks at 20.
As long as we have marking targets in the FWD line, we don't need to over posses in the scoring chains.

If he showed that effort and application last season he may not have been traded.

I would say he would of been but we may have got something for him.
As I said before due to his immature attitude around the jockey saga after Fly gave him a public serve his cards were marked.

I'm only commenting around those trying make out like he's a dunce footballer now he's gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The structure and intent in the first half looked way better.

The connection in transition was much improved. Can only think of the 2 incidents where we ran into each other trying to get the footy. WHE and HH in the goal square, and Noble and Lipinski? at HBF. Continue to clean that up and we’ll only get better.

I would say he would of been but we may have got something for him.
As I said before due to his immature attitude around the jockey saga after Fly gave him a public serve his cards were marked.

I'm only commenting around those trying make out like he's a dunce footballer now he's gone.
His high Footy IQ is undeniable.

His high Footy IQ is undeniable.

He's really clever in a contest and thinks really quickly, but I wouldn't say he has really high footy IQ yet - it took him the whole season to learn to play a different role last year - was really lost at first when they moved him higher up the ground.

i'm more encouraged by our highest I50 count since RD 9, and a season record I50 marks at 20.
As long as we have marking targets in the FWD line, we don't need to over posses in the scoring chains.
I’m not too excited by the bolded considering the level of opposition and the fact Richmond still had more insides 50s than us despite us getting our highest tally since round 9.

Kicking inside forward 50 wasn’t my complaint either it’s kicking out of the def 50 we need more ideas.

It’s shouldn’t be too much of an issue against Carlton if our midfield perform like they did earlier in the year against them and considering the ovation you’d expect them to be up and about. Through Mount the rest of the season though is where the question marks lie because our midfield has shown itself to be inconsistent and incapable of carrying the load to hide the rest of our deficiencies week in week out.

The structure and intent in the first half looked way better.
Agree, I thought we played okay to be fair.
Just seemed it had been a while for us win wise and didn't put them to the sword.

Seemed to structure up better and have more connection than recent times.

The late goals flattered the Tigers, we won it pretty comfortably really.

Hopefully we can pick up where we left off and keep giving ourselves a chance.

Blues and Swans not exactly flying.
We should take care of Demons, just need to have a big game with Brisbane.

On SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was gunna put finally win one!!!
full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192627852@N07/albums/72177720319200904
not many this week, sorry, I was not well at the game, and I spent Mon Tues in Bed, crook as!!!

Mr fantastic 400!

_03A8197-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8198-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

love this!!

_03A8206-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8207-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

Precision from the magician!

_03A8225-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8229-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8234-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8236-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8247-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8253-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8303-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

beast mode - all season!!! but i still cant get the horses video out of my head!!

_03A8323-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8338-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8420-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8463-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8486-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8504-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8505-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

_03A8507-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

IMO what has been missing, a run with player to fend or receive as needed (who is this cutie please?? he doesnt look like any of the pics!)
_03A8507-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

whats with his knee???

_03A8552-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr

leading the way for some oh so talented kids!!

_03A8718-Enhanced-NR by joanne carol, on Flickr
cheers!

bring it on carlsum!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 93-67 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back