Autopsy Post Mortem vs Norf (Pies 84 def by Norf 124)

Remove this Banner Ad

I must have been watching a different game to Bucks.
I see today he has put our "forwards on notice".

Did he miss the bulk of the match where our mids were smashed comprehensively out of the centre square with ease and the only time we looked dangerous was when Taylor Adams went in there. The lack of service was appalling.
Jack Crisp flicks the ball by hand around so much that in the last term, where we won the centre clearance and all he had to do was put it inside 50, he opted to keep handballing backwards after he got himself into trouble and the ball ended up on the wing for a boundary throw in when we should have been inside 50.
I guess his kicking leaves alot to be desired also.

We overuse the handball too much and run out of ideas. This is the game plan implored by the coach.
This is his fault and needs major overhaul.

Only Pendebury, Reid, Howe and Adams look to kick the footy forward at all times.

So when the ball is bounced in the center with all players standing side by side and their team consistantly is able to get yardage on ours but when we win possesion and spread are unable to break free what does that say?

Partly structure, partly stagnation but also lacking speed to break away.
Don't forget protection. We don't spread well and I wouldn't put it down to leg speed. Del Santo was just in SEN and also spoke about how teams look slow when they struggle. Break away speed is important but it is mostly to do with a burst over the first ten. I remember not being one who played well as a rover (old terminology), the coach convinced me that I could play there coz I had the ability to run sideways. I improved and used the sideways speed to get more clearances. Not a champ by a long shot but better than I was previously. My thoughts were "WTF?" But then he compared me to the straight through runners who were quick but weren't great at evading tackles on the burst. Made sense. Collingwood don't seem to have them in the guts. Pendles has sublime pack awareness and evades through that. The others are 'straight runners'. This is our issue, IMO.

Don't forget protection. We don't spread well and I wouldn't put it down to leg speed. Del Santo was just in SEN and also spoke about how teams look slow when they struggle. Break away speed is important but it is mostly to do with a burst over the first ten. I remember not being one who played well as a rover (old terminology), the coach convinced me that I could play there coz I had the ability to run sideways. I improved and used the sideways speed to get more clearances. Not a champ by a long shot but better than I was previously. My thoughts were "WTF?" But then he compared me to the straight through runners who were quick but weren't great at evading tackles on the burst. Made sense. Collingwood don't seem to have them in the guts. Pendles has sublime pack awareness and evades through that. The others are 'straight runners'. This is our issue, IMO.

Yeah that could also be playing a part and I agree we do lack an evasive type.

We do have a lot of medium paced mids Pendles Sideass Adams Greenwood Degoey Crisp etc

This isnt to say they are all slow but rather average paced with Adams and Crisp (negator) the quickest of that group i would suspect.

Treloar is quick but hasn't been able to use it from congestion as much as he should often having to handball or quick kick it scrubbly. No blocks or tagger protection for him.

We make life hard for ourselves running into each other or the opposition. We don't get enough clean ball use- in space or to even release a player going forward.

I'd like to see a fresh new approach with new ideas from outside the club. Too many old pie players hold positions which they shouldn't. Rocca, Lockyer, Burns......are they the best in their roles? Brent Harvey has been hopeless.

How can we go from getting demolished in centre clearances to then getting on top? Coaches take too long to react. It was obvious in the first qtr what the Roos were doing with Wells yet we didn't attempt to combat that in the qtr at all? Does Bucks have too much confidence in the players?

No wonder things didn't go so well last night when Norf's longest serving player is coaching us while he plays. You'd think our players would be on to that by now.

And by the way, on what basis do you label Robert Harvey as hopeless? Have you been in coaching meetings and heard his suggestions or stood in on player meetings and seen first hand his communication with players or are you just speculating due to some of our performances this year?

Buckley said the forwards are on notice....well l think he and his coaching staff are in the same boat. He will coach next year, but if we have the disappointing season we have had for the last 3 years now, then he will not be coaching this club in 2018.

Agree - All Coaches except Tapping could easily get Sacked

We have a long way to go unless we can clean up some of the undisciplined acts from this team of players. So disappointed today...

3 Players gave away 11 free kicks out of the 22 - Grundy (4), Williams (4), Greenwood (3)

Not sure how many 50 metre penalties or free kicks that resulted in goals.

Stupid skill errors and brain fades, not sure it is speed, they don't work hard enough for each other.

Why can't our forwards keep their structure? Total of 27 possessions from our 4 forwards, not good enough.

Then back to good old selection:
Was Fasolo fit?
Why Williams?
Not just rib problems with Pendlebury (If by some miracle we had gotten into the finals, you need a squad of at least 27, a fit captain and a player of his calibre is paramount).

Too much left to too few again, minus in almost every key stat except cont. poss and tackles (59 Marks to 88).
Crisp and Blair - 9 tackles each. :thumbsu:

Rant over/

That show we are at least 2 Years Away from Possibly Playing Finals. As I doubt the List will improve over the Pre-Season after the Huge Trade Period Last Year. Kids will get better but not Much.

And we have Players who are Full of Idiots.

Shows our Selection Panel are full of Morons

Anyone else thinking what we traded out for Trealor was a bad idea? he has had less impact than a fart in a bath tub.

I think was a Great Idea. He a Gun and he had a Huge effect off-field. He been working with Josh Smith and Tom Phillips and they been very good Debut year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Besides the Adams/Sinclair positional change, the only other one I noticed was the Howe/Varcoe change, were there any others?
Watching from home with commentators that are too busy talking among themselves, makes it very difficult to pickup.
Didn't even talk about the incident until some time after but Sinclair was a huge loss, lost a runner who has been in good form.

The tripe he served up at the press conference was equally putrid. Saying that had we beaten North it would have been our best win is hog shit. Also blaming the forwards is rubbish. In the first quarter it was our backline that lost us the game.
Wrong. It was our so called "star studded midfield", who couldn't win a clearance to save themselves and weren't working hard enough defensively to assist. I thought all things considered the backline held up quite well.

On another note... Lindsey Thomas. Is it right the amount of booing and heckling he gets from the crowd? Why do we hate him so much?? I found that I have more anger at the team leaving him unattended/gifting him goals than I do at losing to North Melbourne? Am i looking for a scapegoat to vent my frustration? This bloke leaves me reeling with his acting and drop of the knees. Imagine if everyone played like he does.

Wrong. It was our so called "star studded midfield", who couldn't win a clearance to save themselves and weren't working hard enough defensively to assist. I thought all things considered the backline held up quite well.

To pick any part of the team out a throw blame at them is just wrong IMO.

Bucks highlighting the forwards was a bit rough. Defenders - Brown 1 tackle, Reid 1 tackle, Maynard 1 tackle & mids loose centre clearances almost 2 to 1 yet we put the forwards on notice?

Our backs v their forwards? - they won comfortably - Their forward line was open & we never outnumbered them.
Our mids v their mids? - theirs won comfortably - Smashed by a better midfield strategy in setting up, not by a better midfield.
Our forwards v their backs? - theirs won comfortably. We gave them the extra defender & they used it to huge advantage to clog space to kill aerial contests & to run off & setup play.

We lost the game all over the field & certainly lost it in the coaches box as well.

Now that the season is effectively over in terms of finals, I'd love to see some left field experimentation. Let's return to the "good ol' days" and have everyone play a position. Bugger the zoning business. Reverse inovation all the way. No more goals "over the back" as there'd always be at least 6 guys in our back half. No more holding on the ball waiting for players to stream into the forward 50 as there'd always be at least 6 of them down there. No more players unable to chase because they're stuffed from running from one end to the other.
Norf scored 7.1 from our defensive turnovers - could hardly call that "held up quite well".

On another note... Lindsey Thomas. Is it right the amount of booing and heckling he gets from the crowd? Why do we hate him so much?? I found that I have more anger at the team leaving him unattended/gifting him goals than I do at losing to North Melbourne? Am i looking for a scapegoat to vent my frustration? This bloke leaves me reeling with his acting and drop of the knees. Imagine if everyone played like he does.
He deserves it. Certainly the people near me in the crowd were all calling him a diver and a ducker, cheat etc. He was the only player that copped that abuse on the ground.

I think people hate seeing the game being played that way, despite the fact that he is actually a pretty skilful player who would otherwise be admired.

Because he is a Flog and a Massive Stager/Diver.

HATE HIM

No, while he cops more than anyone else on the ground given the way he cheats, ducks, dives, flops and falls he should be getting significantly more. The more have done those things the more heat he copped.

Must say I got a fair laugh out of his play in the last quarter, Thomas slip feet first into the footy in the forward pocket sticking his neck out to draw the free should he be tackled, funny thing was the 'pies player was several metres behind and in no position to tackle.

My favourite part of our centre clearance work was how our forwards let Lindsay Thomas run unopposed from the forward line straight through the middle and get the clearance.

It happen so often, it must of been a joy for both coaching staff's to see a plan success. Our coaching staff got us to free up our forward line and create space, norf, well they just wanted the clearance.
He started off the back of the centre square, (in our forward line).
Should've only been allowed to happen once.

No wonder things didn't go so well last night when Norf's longest serving player is coaching us while he plays. You'd think our players would be on to that by now.

And by the way, on what basis do you label Robert Harvey as hopeless? Have you been in coaching meetings and heard his suggestions or stood in on player meetings and seen first hand his communication with players or are you just speculating due to some of our performances this year?
Based on the fact that our performances have been ordinary for a few years and Rob Harvey is just as responsible as Buckley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post Mortem vs Norf (Pies 84 def by Norf 124)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back