Up the Coasters Post Season Awards 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

First since 2014? Ya wat? A period we made two Grand Finals, and won one?

What the **** even is this award?
On face value it does seem a bit...dopey.

But in context, ABC radio commentators (or, at least one of their special comments people) give a 3-2-1 after each game by the Dockers or Eagles (home games only? dunno). It means that (a) you can still get three votes even if you get flogged and (b) it favors poor teams with one stand out dominant player.

Over the last decade or so we've either been very good because we've had many players all playing well as a team, or utter trash were you might as well just throw a die to figure out who to give the three votes too, while the purps have largely had just one or two messiah players who soak up all the votes and get them the dub. (e.g. without taking any time to look, I'd expect TK went close to winning over the previous couple of seasons as one of the few Eagles who seemed to perform better than average at least semi-regularaly)

According to Mark Duffield this morning, our B&F will be held on September 19 (Thursday)

The last two years it’s been during the pre finals bye on a Saturday night so a fair bit later this year

According to Mark Duffield this morning, our B&F will be held on September 19 (Thursday)

The last two years it’s been during the pre finals bye on a Saturday night so a fair bit later this year

I was going to put a question out there as to when this is happening, and now that is has been announced, the BigFooty West Coast Eagles MVP countdown will begin on the Monday of that week and will try and get the winner up before the start of the official Eagles B&F gets under way.

I seem to remember one year it being in November and we didn’t make finals, it was ridiculously long wait.

Who wins the John Worsfold Medal?

For those who don’t know, each of the 5 member match committee rate every player from 0 to 3 for each game. It means players who miss games are at a disadvantage although it’s worth looking at which games players missed - if a player missed one of our 5 wins then they’re conceding ground to those that played. But if a player missed a loss, particularly the bigger ones, then those who played aren’t getting many votes

With that in mind, these are the games played by individual players (Matches missed in brackets) -

23:
Ginbey
B Williams
Cole
Hough
Cripps

21:
Duggan (StK R19, Frem R20)
Darling (Bris R18, StK R19)

20:
Kelly (StK R12, NM R13, Ess R15)
Yeo (Coll R9, Melb R10, StK R19)
Reid (GC R7, NM R13, Ess R15)
Hunt (Ess R8, StK R12, NM R13)
Waterman (Adel R11, StK R12, StK R19)

19:
McGovern (Bris R18, StK R19, Frem R20, Geel R24)
Maric (Port R1, Ess R8, Melb R17, Carl R24)

18:
Witherden (GWS R2, WB R3, Syd R4, Frem R20, Geel R24)
Barrass (GC R7, GC R21, NM R22, Carl R23, Geel R24)
Chesser (Bris R18, Frem R20, GC R21, NM R22, Carl R23)
J Williams (Port R1, GWS R2, NM R13, Ess R15, Haw R16)

Everyone else played 16 games or less so won’t have enough games to challenge top 5

My top 5 :

1. McGovern
2. Waterman
3. Yeo
4. Hough
5. Duggan

In no particular order - Ginbey, Reid, Kelly, Barrass and Cripps to round out the top 10

I’ll have a stab at the top 10 order, be interested to see how far off I am.

1. Jeremy McGovern
2. Elliot Yeo
3. Jake Waterman
4. Liam Duggan
5. Brady Hough
6. Harley Reid
7. Tim Kelly
8. Tom Barrass
9. Jayden Hunt
10. Jamie Cripps

Ginbey, B.Williams, Cole sitting just outside the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo will be leading by a fair way when they break for main course but the second half of his season, which just so happened to be subsequent to him signing a 3 year extension, saw his form taper off from the red hot level it was early doors.

Yeo will be leading by a fair way when they break for main course but the second half of his season, which just so happened to be subsequent to him signing a 3 year extension, saw his form taper off from the red hot level it was early doors.

I think a lot will hinge on whether he's ordered the beef or the chicken.

His old man also passed away in the lead up to Round 16 which clearly shook him up a bit

Vote for Harley Reid for GOTY.

Some very stiff goals to not be included so they could include ultimately two pretty replicable Daicos goals.

Who wins the John Worsfold Medal?

For those who don’t know, each of the 5 member match committee rate every player from 0 to 3 for each game. It means players who miss games are at a disadvantage although it’s worth looking at which games players missed - if a player missed one of our 5 wins then they’re conceding ground to those that played. But if a player missed a loss, particularly the bigger ones, then those who played aren’t getting many votes

With that in mind, these are the games played by individual players (Matches missed in brackets) -

23:
Ginbey
B Williams
Cole
Hough
Cripps

21:
Duggan (StK R19, Frem R20)
Darling (Bris R18, StK R19)

20:
Kelly (StK R12, NM R13, Ess R15)
Yeo (Coll R9, Melb R10, StK R19)
Reid (GC R7, NM R13, Ess R15)
Hunt (Ess R8, StK R12, NM R13)
Waterman (Adel R11, StK R12, StK R19)

19:
McGovern (Bris R18, StK R19, Frem R20, Geel R24)
Maric (Port R1, Ess R8, Melb R17, Carl R24)

18:
Witherden (GWS R2, WB R3, Syd R4, Frem R20, Geel R24)
Barrass (GC R7, GC R21, NM R22, Carl R23, Geel R24)
Chesser (Bris R18, Frem R20, GC R21, NM R22, Carl R23)
J Williams (Port R1, GWS R2, NM R13, Ess R15, Haw R16)

Everyone else played 16 games or less so won’t have enough games to challenge top 5

My top 5 :

1. McGovern
2. Waterman
3. Yeo
4. Hough
5. Duggan

In no particular order - Ginbey, Reid, Kelly, Barrass and Cripps to round out the top 10

It Will be really embarrassing if anyone other than McGovern or Waterman win it. Drain the swamp and have a better system

It Will be really embarrassing if anyone other than McGovern or Waterman win it. Drain the swamp and have a better system

It's been a bit of a poor system for way too long. I doubt they'll ever change it, seems like something that'll just always be that way.

It's been a bit of a poor system for way too long. I doubt they'll ever change it, seems like something that'll just always be that way.

Might not be the best system but I can't really pick any duds on the list for the past couple of decades:

1725609916136.png

It’s been tinkered with over the years but it’s generally been some variation of getting votes each match. The ability to give a player a 0 for a shit game helps in that players don’t automatically get votes just for being selected like they used to

IMG_5704.jpeg

Might not be the best system but I can't really pick any duds on the list for the past couple of decades:

View attachment 2102803

Generally the winner to top 3 is accurate but with the weighting towards more games played it can skew who had a better season who played 19 games vs someone who played 22. Also let's some lesser likes into the top 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Coasters Post Season Awards 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back