Potental Early Draft Busts 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Natanui - Athletic Freak but People knock his Footy IQ and That can be a Problem because he will get lost and can Give away Frees. Will still go Top 2 but could be a Bust

I see Naita's "footy smarts" in a glass half full type of way, the fact that the guy has only been playing football for a few years means he does not have as much exposure as guys who have been playing longer BUT given he was named AA U18's twice and was first ruck in a GF team even with less exposure to football could mean he is a very dedicated and quick learner.

Does the fact that he has achieved so much in less time give him more Footy IQ or less?

If WC draft him he will be in a team where he can be taught by Cox about how to position himself and does not need to be thrust into AFL for a few years so will have the time to learn.

naita will be a fantastic ruckman at worst, barring injuries. he is 201 cm and still growing and at the same time he can jump higher than any other afl player. his tapwork is also very good. to pick up a player like this is by no means a flop.

on the other hand, and this is what i believe, due to his aggression and natural determination in the contest, i believe that sort of attitude will propell him through his afl career. people will laugh, but i often see a lot of luke hodge in him when he is in the contest. he attacks the ball and the man ferociously and this is what will make him one of the best players in the afl in a few years.

I knew people would get there knickers in a knot about this when I saw the thread title.

Dave isn't saying he will be a bust, but rather that he could be, and compared to most players that are spoken about with the regularity and fondness that people talk about Naitanui, he does have some bust potential.

If people were talking about a guy this much, and he didn't have bust potential, we'd be staring at an undisputed #1 pick, but as it stands, between Rich, Naitanui and Watts, it's likely to be as much about who's the lowest risk, and which position you need, because despite the fact that the others have less physical talent, they have varying degrees of risk.

I honestly dont get this "lowest risk" stuff that keeps getting thrown up ie. that Rich is a guaranteed 200 game player and Naitanui could be the best ever,or the next McDougall.

At worst Naitanui will be a good tap ruckman and one of the best tacklers in the league.....its just that his upside is that he could be anything. Its more the hype surrounding him...that people expect him to rip a game apart already.

I knew people would get there knickers in a knot about this when I saw the thread title.

Dave isn't saying he will be a bust, but rather that he could be, and compared to most players that are spoken about with the regularity and fondness that people talk about Naitanui, he does have some bust potential.

If people were talking about a guy this much, and he didn't have bust potential, we'd be staring at an undisputed #1 pick, but as it stands, between Rich, Naitanui and Watts, it's likely to be as much about who's the lowest risk, and which position you need, because despite the fact that the others have less physical talent, they have varying degrees of risk.

Not getting upset yet mate - he isn't in my club yet....

however - a flop to me is an Ashley Sampi or the like.

I think at worst NN will be a good player. He will be serviceable - but maybe not a superstar. Whether that is a bust then that is just a personal interpretation

Not getting upset yet mate - he isn't in my club yet....

however - a flop to me is an Ashley Sampi or the like.

I think at worst NN will be a good player. He will be serviceable - but maybe not a superstar. Whether that is a bust then that is just a personal interpretation
Yeah, but you have to recognise that despite this being your opinion, it's still possible that it might not be accurate.

He could end up being the most embarrassing Top 3 pick since Aaron Fiora or Rory Hilton - Even if you think it's inaccurate, you have to accept that it's a possibility with him, just like it is with Watts, or with Rich, or with any player in the draft.

I see Naita's "footy smarts" in a glass half full type of way, the fact that the guy has only been playing football for a few years means he does not have as much exposure as guys who have been playing longer BUT given he was named AA U18's twice and was first ruck in a GF team even with less exposure to football could mean he is a very dedicated and quick learner.

Does the fact that he has achieved so much in less time give him more Footy IQ or less?

If WC draft him he will be in a team where he can be taught by Cox about how to position himself and does not need to be thrust into AFL for a few years so will have the time to learn.

Hasn't he been playing for 6 or 7 years?

The thing about big risks is the potential high return.

Chri$ Judd & Joel Selwood for example. Slide (Judd not much though) due to injuries but clearly best players in their draft so far in their careers.

Swift, Yarran & NickNat could all be the best players in the draft or likewise the could become Beau Muston (no offense just his injuries), Chris Egan or John Meeson (poor comparisons but you know what I mean)

I think NickNat at the least will be a very good tap ruckmen like Matthew Clarke was, who may not get much of it around the field but gets heaps of taps to advantage.

The thing about big risks is the potential high return.

Chri$ Judd & Joel Selwood for example. Slide (Judd not much though) due to injuries but clearly best players in their draft so far in their careers.

Swift, Yarran & NickNat could all be the best players in the draft or likewise the could become Beau Muston (no offense just his injuries), Chris Egan or John Meeson (poor comparisons but you know what I mean)

I think NickNat at the least will be a very good tap ruckmen like Matthew Clarke was, who may not get much of it around the field but gets heaps of taps to advantage.

The High Risk High Reward Pick

he's slow, and he's not been used forward.

decent KPP usually get used up front.

Pretty sure he's been thrown forward a few times and kicked a couple of bags.

That said, I don't think he's the surefire bet he's being made out to be either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's slow, and he's not been used forward.

decent KPP usually get used up front.

Never played forward at all....

He's kicked 3 or more goals on 5 occasions in the last 2 years of TAC cup, twice kicked 6 goals in a game for a total of 37 goals over the 2 seasons, not too bad for a guy who's played large parts of both seasons at CHB/FB.

Never played forward at all....

He's kicked 3 or more goals on 5 occasions in the last 2 years of TAC cup, twice kicked 6 goals in a game for a total of 37 goals over the 2 seasons, not too bad for a guy who's played large parts of both seasons at CHB/FB.

The poster you're responding to is well known for being a gene short of a moron. And I'm being kind.

Hurley has quite often played forward.

Naita will be far from a bust.

He has a fantastic attitude, he runs both ways and he has ridiculous athleticism.

For me Blease could be a bit of a risk, I'm not sure if he could get enough of the ball consistently enough at AFL level. I'd love to take him at #19 though.

Yeah, but you have to recognise that despite this being your opinion, it's still possible that it might not be accurate.

He could end up being the most embarrassing Top 3 pick since Aaron Fiora or Rory Hilton - Even if you think it's inaccurate, you have to accept that it's a possibility with him, just like it is with Watts, or with Rich, or with any player in the draft.

Agreed - however uyou could say that about every player nominating for the draft - you can't guarantee any player.

However what I think the OP was getting at - is which one alreay oozes that bust potential. To me NN has shown enough, particularly the defensive elements, to be a good player. He may be a star - though I think that unlikely.

I just realised who he reminds me of - the aboriginal ruckman from Freo - who had inuries ruin his career. Tall, athletic but didn't have a body for footyball.

My only concern with NN is his body shape - not sure he'll fill out

I actually think he'll be massive.

I actually think the Eagles could have the best ruckman in the comp handover, in the years to come, to the next best ruckman in the comp.

A tad off topic but the Eagles have drafted very wisely. In Victoria the media is creaming itself over some Vic clubs young list but they have failed to see the team that the WCE are putting together.

Not just midfields but KPP (Mitch Brown, Josh Kennedy amongst others) & now possibly Ruck (NikNat)

Interesting just looking back at the 2007 U18 Championships WA team list, he measured in at 194/70 and is now 201/94 as of 2008 Draft Camp - so he's grown around 7cm and put on 24kg in around a year and a half! That's some phenomenal physical development.

Sidebottoms average pace?

A number of the best players in the comp have average pace - Mitchel, West, Cross, Black etc. What makes them good is their endurance. Sidebottom has elite endurance coming top 2 in both endurance tests at the draft camp. He will run all day and get to more contests that many. I think he's as close to a sure bet as they come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Potental Early Draft Busts 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back