Potential Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how much the Dogs think he is worth. I wouldn't necessarily be against it if they didn't want something ridiculous. What sort of injuries has he suffered? Are they the sort that will hurt him his whole career (e.g. Vince) or are they just unlucky reoccurring niggles (e.g. Mackay)? The latter we can deal with, if its the former then he probably isn't worth the trouble.
More on the Mackay side of things with plenty of little soft tissue niggles. For memory he did have OP very early on in his career (I could be wrong) but I don't think thats been an issue since. Maybe a slight knee problem as well but mostly his body is prone to picking up soft tissue injuries every time he gets up.

I'm not even sure he has every had a full pre season + season during his time at the Bulldogs so I am sure we are yet to see anywhere near his best (if he can ever stay uninjured long enough). When he is given a shot in the midfield he looks really good but he often doesn't last long and is rested due to "soreness" or something along the lines in which we then see him come back in across hff or now the hbf where it takes him a few games to get back up to shape again.

This guy has plenty of potential and has shown a fair bit but has never really got to the next level and will be turning 24 next season so he has been around for a while and we might be able to nab him a bit 'cheaper' then what other players of his skill may cost (depending on contract status as well).

Isn't Higgins regarded when fit the Dogs best player? Good player that is injured way too much for my liking
I think Cooney would get that title followed by Griffen but he is rated pretty highly down their.

I think Pets and Wright are doing ok...but still need to develop this area further. All to often has the ball come out of our forward fifty to easily. Hope Milera can come on.

I think Pets and Wright are doing ok...but still need to develop this area further. All to often has the ball come out of our forward fifty to easily. Hope Milera can come on.

Milera has walked ot on the Crows as he can't handle the demands of an AFL player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never saw that article..my apologies The Sloane Ranger. I must say i am very disappointed.

I know it was a rookie pick but still very disappointed.:mad:

I know he was a player picked on potential and was questionable inregards to the training requirements, but to see him at the moment you would not think he has trained much at all this year, unless it involved pie eating. Unfortunately likes to party with his mates more so than the spoils of AFL or SANFL football as he has walked away from both and is content to play footy in the Far West league.

I really wanted him to make it as did many unfortunately he didn't.

Same reason he was a rookie, same reason he didn't get an U18 state gig, same reason he was sent to train with Port is the same reason he isn't a Crow anymore. It's a shame, but his life. Best of luck in whatever he does, and like Tome LEE, who is a likely draft chance this year (GWS), hopefully if he wants in again, he can.

How about someone like Higgins from the Dogs? Only 23 and has heaps of potential yet his problem is he is very injury prone. If he could stay on the field and actually play in the midfield, he would be an A class player imo but his body always seems to break down before he can really get a proper shot at it.

Lots of similarities to Vince. Quite scary really.

Highly skilled, kicks goals, versatile, good balance and judgement.

On the flipside, he's injury prone, not blessed with pace, inconsistent, lazy at times, and isn't someone you can build a midfield around. He compliments a good midfield, but we don't have that at present. We need more players who win their own ball more than not which isn't Higgins' game.

I rate him but the amount we'd have to pay for him (assuming he'd be willing to come to Adelaide, which is very like a giant NO) wouldn't be worth the actual player.

Don't mind Howard though. Nice kick.

Lots of similarities to Vince. Quite scary really.

Highly skilled, kicks goals, versatile, good balance and judgement.

On the flipside, he's injury prone, not blessed with pace, inconsistent, lazy at times, and isn't someone you can build a midfield around. He compliments a good midfield, but we don't have that at present. We need more players who win their own ball more than not which isn't Higgins' game.

I rate him but the amount we'd have to pay for him (assuming he'd be willing to come to Adelaide, which is very like a giant NO) wouldn't be worth the actual player.

Don't mind Howard though. Nice kick.

Similar to Vince? My interest has dramatically reduced...
I don't think players winning their own ball is the problem. We have player like Danger, Batman, Pets etc. who are starting to show they can do that consistently. What we need are people who make good decisions under pressure and dispose of the ball effectively and consistently (e.g better versions of DMac). IMO adding 1 or 2 of these sort of players into our best 22 will bring our team back into finals contention. We have all the tools to be successful (good forwards, solid in-and-under players and good defense) but no one to use them effectively. This team needs minor tweaking, not a complete overhaul.

Similar to Vince? My interest has dramatically reduced...
I don't think players winning their own ball is the problem. We have player like Danger, Batman, Pets etc. who are starting to show they can do that consistently. What we need are people who make good decisions under pressure and dispose of the ball effectively and consistently (e.g better versions of DMac). IMO adding 1 or 2 of these sort of players into our best 22 will bring our team back into finals contention. We have all the tools to be successful (good forwards, solid in-and-under players and good defense) but no one to use them effectively. This team needs minor tweaking, not a complete overhaul.

I still think it's a problem though.

No doubt the emergence of Sloane and to a lesser extent Dangerfield are good signs for the future, but it's still not enough. We need players that are going to win 25-30 touches week in week out.

If you look at our young midfielders at present and give them another two or three years, you'd still struggle to find anyone other than Sloane who is capable of being that sort of player. Even our mature age midfielders struggle in this regard. Thompson is the only inside midfielder with any real consistency. You can't afford to rely on just one player.

Now whether we remedy this via the draft or trading, it's absolutely critical that we just do something about it. I think we have a decent amount of young 'outside' players who can finish off well - Mackay and Smith in particular - but that's also something that could use a boost.

To sum up, we just really need midfielders. ;)

This is also why Aidan Riley is a really exciting player for us. We don't know what level he could reach, but the signs are there that he could be something pretty special. He's tough as nails but has that discernable class about him that screams quality midfielder. He has that balance, awareness and core strength that are key elements of any great AFL midfielder. He's got a long way to go but the signs are there.

I have a similar feeling about Lyons and rated him as a junior. He's been pretty good for Glenelg this year and I think he'll pretty much go straight into the side next season ala Davis in 2010. Just has some real class and poise with the ball, but like Riley can win it himself. He's an exciting proposition.

Still, you just don't quite know with these guys just how good they're going to be. It's why I lament us not having a really good draft pick to get AAA midfield talent - the kind of player that couldn't possibly be anything other than a gun. Your Cotchins, Martins, Trengoves, Selwoods, etc. We just haven't had that luxury.

I think we have a chance this year. We'll have a pretty average pick once again but the midfield quality in that first round is deep. Some real gems here. A lot of them will go to GWS but I get a feeling we could land a beauty.

I still think it's a problem though.

No doubt the emergence of Sloane and to a lesser extent Dangerfield are good signs for the future, but it's still not enough. We need players that are going to win 25-30 touches week in week out.

Danger, Sloane, VB, Vince (?) and Thompson are all capable of doing that. Also factor in the weekly cameos from other fan favs like Pets and Riley, we will have possession stats cover next year. Our ball use will be the issue going forward, not getting our hands on the ball.

If you look at our young midfielders at present and give them another two or three years, you'd still struggle to find anyone other than Sloane who is capable of being that sort of player.

Now whether we remedy this via the draft or trading, it's absolutely critical that we just do something about it. I think we have a decent amount of young 'outside' players who can finish off well - Mackay and Smith in particular - but that's also something that could use a boost.

Disagree (see above).
I see you only named 2 outside mids (DMac and Smith), there is a reason for that, we are weak in this area. Drafting Smith was a good start but we need to maintain this focus and either draft or trade for these sort of mids. Unfortunately the draft option will take a long time for us to see the benefits. Most of the kids in the draft don't have AFL ready bodies (with the except of freaks like David Swallow) so it take a while for them to impose themselves in games. Seeing DMac yesterday gives me hope that we may not need to take the risk of trading, if he can maintain that level of consistency he may solve our immediate outside mid problems but that remains to be seen.

This is also why Aidan Riley is a really exciting player for us. We don't know what level he could reach, but the signs are there that he could be something pretty special. He's tough as nails but has that discernable class about him that screams quality midfielder. He has that balance, awareness and core strength that are key elements of any great AFL midfielder. He's got a long way to go but the signs are there.

He will be solid (like Pets and a few others) but he won't reach the level of Danger or Sloane, just a hunch. I expect him to be a "Robin" to Sloane's "Batman" in the trenches late in games. Wining the ball that shouldn't be won and doing the other "dirty" things, the players who do these things are just as vital to success as superstars. Maybe being a Jude Bolton-type player is his ceiling? He will be important going forward but I don't think he will be dominant.

I have a similar feeling about Lyons and rated him as a junior. He's been pretty good for Glenelg this year and I think he'll pretty much go straight into the side next season ala Davis in 2010. Just has some real class and poise with the ball, but like Riley can win it himself. He's an exciting proposition. lot of them will go to GWS but I get a feeling we could land a beauty.

Very excited about Lyons, I think he might surprise a few when he starts to adapt to AFL level. I think we might have got a bit of a steal with him (considering where he was picked), will be fun to watch him play in the Seniors next year.

Still, you just don't quite know with these guys just how good they're going to be. It's why I lament us not having a really good draft pick to get AAA midfield talent - the kind of player that couldn't possibly be anything other than a gun. Your Cotchins, Martins, Trengoves, Selwoods, etc. We just haven't had that luxury.

I take great pride in the fact that we haven't tanked for picks as some other teams have (see above, with the exception of Selwood). I think you underestimate the ability of our kids. We had drafted well generally in the last few years to uncover some seriously enticing talent. When their careers are over it will be interesting to compare those that you have mentioned against the likes of Danger, Sloane etc. you might be surprised just how good these kids can be. Just like Craig IMO the current list is the "most exciting our club has ever had". Give them some time and we will see great things from this bunch.

I think we have a chance this year. We'll have a pretty average pick once again but the midfield quality in that first round is deep. Some real gems here. A lot of them will go to GWS but I get a feeling we could land a beauty.

Most of the real quality will probably be picked up by the time our turn comes around but I would love to land one of the following:

Mitchell Grigg, Norwood, 2 January 1993, 183cm, 81kg

Grigg, a mid who can play inside or out, was a key member of the SA team and deserved winner of his state's MVP award. He went inside 50 on 30 occasions in five games and his consistently accurate disposal - he averaged a disposal efficiency of 70.8 per cent across the carnival - saw him named in the All Australian team.

Devon Smith, Geelong Falcons, 20 May 1993, 175cm, 73kg
Missed the first game of the champs, but burst onto the scene with 27 possessions and six goals against NT at Visy Park. An onballer that can go forward and find space, Smith is a busy player who excels in the contest. He went inside 50 17 times in four games and laid 17 tackles.

Taylor Adams, Geelong Falcons, 30 September 1993, 181cm, 80kg
There's a lot to like about Adams' game. He's a clean user of the ball, shows poise in close and doesn't mind throwing himself about in a pack situation. Averaged just under 19 touches a game throughout the carnival and earned All Australian honours.

Brandon Ellis, Calder Cannons, 3 August 1993, 181cm, 81kg
Ellis is a smart footballer who reads the ball very well and can put himself in the right positions as a result. He was named in the All Australian team after an impressive carnival that saw him average just over 18 possessions a game. In the match against WA he soccered a ball that was going out of bounds onto the chest of a teammate, ran on to take the mark, rode a bump and delivered a perfect long ball inside 50 for Jonathon Patton to run on to.

Plus either Ben Kennedy or Brad Crouch in the mini-draft.
BTW has someone already made a potential draft targets thread?

To sum up, we just really need midfielders. ;)

Couldn't have put it better myself champ:cool::thumbsu:

Danger, Sloane, VB, Vince (?) and Thompson are all capable of doing that.

Are people deliberately being stupid or do they think Vince's knee injury will see him drop right away?

2009 - 27.5
2010 - 23.8
2011 - 22.4

Injury/Form/Team under performance all factors in the last 2 years.

Get a core midfield up and running and I still reckon he will be one of our best and contribute 25+ a week. More chance to do it than Danger IMO. Likely to be more damaging than most on that list too.

(Love the sloanedog, been backing him as next captain before VB even played a game as one ;))

Are people deliberately being stupid or do they think Vince's knee injury will see him drop right away?

^ that one. Plus inconsistent form. Has very little upside going forward with long term injury concerns and a low workrate (if things aren't going his way he gives up).

Get a core midfield up and running and I still reckon he will be one of our best and contribute 25+ a week. More chance to do it than Danger IMO. Likely to be more damaging than most on that list too.

Surely you kid. Vince can be a solid contributor no doubt but his consistent best his behind him (e.g. Cooney). I think under a new coach Vince will have a short resurgence of form as he scraps for a spot on the team but after a few months he will return to his old ways. His real lack of a on-field work ethic really works against him becoming the player we all wish he could be. Like Sylvia his good will be very good and his bad will be very bad. We need to accept this and look at other options going forward, by dwelling on his one fantastic season we won't help him perform better on-field. Set realistic expectations on the guy and accept the fact that he is now a complementary player, not one that you can build a team around.

Danger on the other hand has the most upside of anyone on the team (possibly bar Walker). We haven't seen the best of the kid by a long shot. Players with his combination of size, speed and core strength are extremely rare (not to mention his intangibles). Consistency will be his issue over the next 2 years probably but he most likely will be eating 25+ disposal games for breakfast soon (if he is left in the midfield).

Love the sloanedog, been backing him as next captain before VB even played a game as one ;)

I don't think there are too many people who don't love Batman. Hope is style of play doesn't mean we will have to deal with another injury-plagued career. If only others (e.g. Vince) played just as hard as this kid every game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back