Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have a previous time of Geary's for comparison?

Geary ran 6:13 just before Christmas in tough conditions. However, apparently it was still very close to a PB, so I reckon Newnes at 6:09 is pretty much around Geary's best time. Very impressive indeed, particularly when he was a fair bit behind Geary and Dempster in the run before Christmas.

It seems he has continued to work very hard over his break.

Geary ran 6:13 just before Christmas in tough conditions. However, apparently it was still very close to a PB, so I reckon Newnes at 6:09 is pretty much around Geary's best time. Very impressive indeed, particularly when he was a fair bit behind Geary and Dempster in the run before Christmas.

It seems he has continued to work very hard over his break.
Put em head to head Bill and lets place our bets :p

Final placings: Top 10

1st - Jack Newnes (PB)

2nd - Sean Dempster (PB)

3rd - Maverick Weller (PB)

4th - Josh Saunders

5th - David Armitage (PB)

6th - Daniel Markworth (PB)

7th - Eli Templeton

8th - Dylan Roberton (PB)

9th - Daniel McKenzie

10th - Seb Ross/Tom Curren

Other personal bests: Josh Bruce, Darren Minchington, Brenton Payne

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-01-07/nine-saints-run-personal-bests

1st - Jack Newnes (PB)

2nd - Sean Dempster (PB)

3rd - Maverick Weller (PB)

4th - Josh Saunders

5th - David Armitage (PB)

6th - Daniel Markworth (PB)

7th - Eli Templeton

8th - Dylan Roberton (PB)

9th - Daniel McKenzie

10th - Seb Ross/Tom Curren

Saunders cruises into 4th and its not even a PB. Good signs there :)

Awesome to see all those that came 4th to 10th in there, some very good signs, especially for Armo, Markworth and Ross, none of whom have been known for their endurance before. Not a huge shock to see Eli, Roberton and McKenzie in there though, as they all came top 10 in the 3km at their respective combines, so they can clearly all run (although it's very impressive that McKenzie is up so high already). Jimmy Webster also came top 10 in the 3km in his combine year, so I would have liked to have seen him in there today if he ran it.

Very glad to see that Minch did a PB, too, really hope to see more of him at AFL level this year.

Last edited:
Seing Markworth up the top end of that list is exciting. It would seem he may be on track to get an early run this season for the first time ever. I haven't seen any of him. What position does he play naturally? And who would he be likely to push out, if he was to crack the starting lineup?

Last edited:
Great signs with some newbs in the top 10.
Awesome to see Markworth, Robbo, McKenzie and Ross in there.

Ross must have been working hard on his running technique to come on like that.

Some of my favourite pics from the Facebook page:

10406791_10152788072883183_3173447502013323258_n.jpg

Took a bit out of Saundo, it would seem.

10891862_10152788073168183_7547837645093029270_n.jpg

Eli reminds me a bit of Carlton's theme a few years back - you know what's coming...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1st - Jack Newnes (PB) As we've discussed, it could be a breakout season.
2nd - Sean Dempster (PB) Back to his best?

3rd - Maverick Weller (PB) If he's to be a tagger, it helps to outrun your opposition.

4th - Josh Saunders Josh is a player who still has shown a lot, a good fitness level could cement his position.

5th - David Armitage (PB) Armo with a big tank - maybe he won't be a gop after all.

6th - Daniel Markworth (PB) And fast burst speed, I have my fingers crossed for him.

7th - Eli Templeton And he's got terrific footy smarts to boot.

8th - Dylan Roberton (PB) I want him back.

9th - Daniel McKenzie Unbelievable for a recruit

10th - Seb Ross/Tom Curren Probably not surprising for TC ( though he needs to stay up there ) but a terrific result for Seb, adressing one of the concerns people had with him

I'm pretty happy with those results. ALL of those players with better fitness are a great result for us.

What, mediocrity?
I'm going with hard work and dedication on a flipping crazy hot day. According to the BOM, it got to about 37deg today. I say fair effort.

Other published times for comparison:

Jack Martin (Gold Coast Suns) - 6:38
Chris Masten (West Coast) - 6:00
Damian Cavka (West Coast) - 5:58 = Club Record

Sidebottom 5.50 odd i think. Streeted it in at the pies

Great signs with some newbs in the top 10.
Awesome to see Markworth, Robbo, McKenzie and Ross in there.

Ross must have been working hard on his running technique to come on like that.

Working on his running technique ? What you mean moving his legs quicker . That's how to run faster

poor old white. people so quick to judge. if only his last name was dunstan, maybe he'd get some benefit of the doubt
Most of these kids would be running 6:30 or 6:45 2ks even at the back of the pack which is really damn quick. Its only slow compared to the truly exceptional guys up front.

For the record I ran a 10:30 2k the other night :D

He did indeed. I would have thought he'd beat most, if not all of them over 2km, so it's either a really awesome sign for all those who beat him, or he's just phoned it in or something!

Cheers
i read Blivcas from cats ran a 5.30 when he 1st arrived at geelong...wtf
now he runs 5.40-5.45 or something.
positive signs for newnes and co.
how is mccartin traveling?

good luck in 2015

Cheers mate, same to you and that is a pretty ridiculous time from Blicavs! I guess he might have bulked up since, which could help explain why he's slower now.

They certainly are positive signs from the younger ones in particular like Newnes, Saunders, Markworth, Templeton, McKenzie and Ross (huge for him) and also of course Armo, who has in the past had big question marks about his endurance.

Haven't heard much about Paddy since he was drafted, except that he is on a modified program to ease him into it. Was doing boxing yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back