Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Lee's strength is his kicking ability. We would absolutely waste his one truly elite talent if we stick him in the backline.
+1. Which is why I want Bruce playing back as I think his kicking is to untidy to play forward in the long run..

+1. Which is why I want Bruce playing back as I think his kicking is to untidy to play forward in the long run..
I see Bruce as a proper swingman depending on matchups. He will be required to play on the more athletic forwards when required but can otherwise be used up forward.

Just look at the Sydney game where Delaney got monstered for the first time this year. Quite simply, Delaney is built to take on the big full forward types rather then CHF like buddy. I think Bruce's game just lends him better to keeping up with a running forward in my opinion.

Since when is good kicking out of the backline not an asset!? o_O Yes we could do with Lee's kicking up forward, but his field kicking is also elite for someone his size and it's also long, so having him taking intercept marks down back and then hitting targets lace-out, with his kicks forward, could be very useful indeed. White's kicking for goal is good and Membrey's kicking for goal is meant to be Fevola-like, so if we had either or both of them up front and Lee down back we could get the best of both worlds.

Pardon the intrusion, but I keep hearing that Montagna played hurt most of the year? Is there any truth to this? I was at the Hawks/Saints game early last year and he was immense, if he and Steven get a clear shot at it this year, that'll go a long way to keeping you guys moving forward!
Pretty much played with groin issues and potential leg bone issues for a good part of the year. He was probably okay during the Hawks game but dropped off after that.

I think everyone did PBs because none of them have ever done a 2km before. They used to do 3km. :)

Nah they've been doing the 2km for the last 4 years.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ayers-run-personal-bests-20141221-12bej9.html

"Twenty-two Saints completed a two-kilometre time trial last week, with no fewer than 17 completing personal bests, and the others all coming within one to four seconds of their top marks since the club began organised running over the distance four years ago."

Cheers. He did well to keep playing then. Hope he's fit and firing this pre season!
He was in probably career best form between the mid-way point of last season and the game against you guys this year (finished off last season- round 11 onwards- with:

29 possies
35 possies, 1 goal
22 possies, 1 goal
35 possies
34 possies, 1 goal
28 possies, 2 goals
35 possies
32 possies
33 possies, 3 goals
47 possies, 2 goals

then after a slightly down (by the above standards) first 3 weeks to this year (25 possies 1 goal, 27 possies 2 goals, 17 possies), he started to really wind up again and over the next 3 weeks (with the final one being against Hawthorn) churned out these performances:

31 possies, 1 goal
32 possies, 2 goals
39 possies, 1 goal (out of our team total of 4 goals)

then his season just fell off a bit of a cliff and he didn't have more than 27 possies again for the rest of the year, after having done so in 13 of his previous 16 games. So I think it's pretty safe to say he sustained at least one of his injuries around the time of that loss to you guys and that he probably carried it, or them, until the end of the season.

We started to hear rumours on here that he was injured well before the end of the season and then the club confirmed after the season ended that, apart from anything else, he had been playing with a fracture to one of his legs.

Last edited:
I think everyone did PBs because none of them have ever done a 2km before. They used to do 3km. :)
LOL thats a bloody good point.
Ive never run a marathon. I might have to do one tomoz just so i can tell people its a PB:p

edit..... i just read jdelisle's post that weve been running the 2km for 4 yrs:eek:
so i guess ill skip the marathon and drink beer all day:thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL thats a bloody good point.
Ive never run a marathon. I might have to do one tomoz just so i can tell people its a PB:p

edit..... i just read jdelisle's post that weve been running the 2km for 4 yrs:eek:
so i guess ill skip the marathon and drink beer all day:thumbsu:.

Hey you may still get a PB. Go for low carb, you can fit more in.

Hey you may still get a PB. Go for low carb, you can fit more in.

Just don't make it a "big head" no carb beer. I bought one the other day (being the body conscious athlete that I am :) ) and fair dinkum it tasted like water. Reckon they used an old bottle top just to get a beer smell to it! Oh well, back to Carlton draught I guess! :D

[/QUOTE]
I think I have written off Dempster quite a few times. Everytime I do he usually comes out and gets in the best players and I think to myself " stop writing him off you goose".
Sounds like hes still the ultimate professional and one of the fittest at the club.
Hope he makes me look like a goose every game this yr :p
Keep up the good work Steaknives:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back