Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a bit early to be writing off Chesser at this stage. That being said, if it is the same ankle from last year causing problems it would be interesting to know what exactly it is and get some idea of a prognosis. It has taken a long time to come good.

And while i think the club's drafting has been poor for quite a while i don't think you can blame them for Venables. It was a freak accident and all indications before that were that he would become a solid player for us.

Brander was the pick we should regret the most.

Since Simpson arrived, so every draft from 2014 onwards

2014 :
Duggan (11)
Gone - Lamb (32), Nelson (51), Cavka (66), A Waterman (76)

2015 :
Traded R1 pick (17) for Redden
Cole (36)
Gone - Partington (28), Mutimer (57), M Allen (62)

2016 :
Rotham (37), J Waterman (77)
Gone - Venables (13), Rioli (52)

2017 :
O Allen (21), Ryan (26), Petruccelle (38)
Gone - Brander (13), Ainsworth (32), Brayshaw (68)

2018 :
Traded R1 pick (18) for picks we used on Allen, Ryan and Petch in 2017
O’Neill (28), Foley (31), B Williams (35), H Edwards (RD)
Gone - Cameron (39)

2019 :
Traded 14,24,33, F1 for Kelly
Jamieson (49)
Gone - Johnson (58)

2020 :
L Edwards (52), Winder (57), Trew (RD)

From 7 years of drafting we have Duggan, Cole, Rotham, Waterman, Allen, Ryan, Petruccelle, O’Neill, Foley, BWilliams, HEdwards, Jamieson, LEdwards, Winder and Trew. Only Duggan, Cole, Allen and Ryan would be considered definitive best 22

Redden was a good trade and we still have Kelly. The only player traded in during that time still at the club is Witherden who is fringe and may not survive this year. Jones was a SSP selection

It’s a combination of high finishes (hence no low draft picks), an expensive trade (Kelly), two ultimately wasted R1 picks (Brander and Venables which admittedly was bad luck), some questionable 2nd round picks and an inability to unearth much of note with later picks. But the result isn’t a great haul and goes someway towards explaining why we’re in the midst of a significant rebuild.

At best, our recruiting from 2014-20 was indifferent

Lingering questions on Chesser notwithstanding, our last two drafts look very encouraging however.
If we are comparing ankle injury would Chessers be comparable to tom scully?

If we are comparing ankle injury would Chessers be comparable to tom scully?
The lack of detailed coverage of things from the media is annoying. What else do the sports journos do all day if not chase details on things like this and other things like on changes in how we intend to move the ball this year etc. Why else do they use kid gloves on stories WC are sensitive about if not get access to information like this?

The lack of detailed coverage of things from the media is annoying. What else do the sports journos do all day if not chase details on things like this and other things like on changes in how we intend to move the ball this year etc. Why else do they use kid gloves on stories WC are sensitive about if not get access to information like this?
As per usual your post is as clear as mud. If, after all this time you still don’t understand how the media works then you’re beyond help I. Bad news has far more impact than good news. How West Coast might move the ball, or Oscar Allen’s dietary habits won’t exactly have readers/subscribers champing at the bit. Do yourself a favour and treat the media like everyone else, i.e. read and forget, which we all do anyway.

It is a bit early to be writing off Chesser at this stage. That being said, if it is the same ankle from last year causing problems it would be interesting to know what exactly it is and get some idea of a prognosis. It has taken a long time to come good.

And while i think the club's drafting has been poor for quite a while i don't think you can blame them for Venables. It was a freak accident and all indications before that were that he would become a solid player for us.

has everyone forgotten about the Cameron with no heart?

has everyone forgotten about the Cameron with no heart?

Late pick so less of a bust in terms of draft capital - I actually reckon it was an excellent pick talent wise and we/him couldn't collectively keep Jarrod's head on straight.

If he'd knuckled down with the same fire Charlie shows he'd be the exact sort of player we'd be bloody excited about going forward into 2023.

Don't think this one was an issue with just our drafting team

Agree with Deplorable trumpster on Brander but even then that was a bit of a sliding doors one with our picks that came after him.

It's our lack of gems found in the 20-40 range for the last 8 years or so that's been our biggest issue IMO. Development/direction of the coaching/our WAFL situation also would skew that

West Coast defender Tom Cole says young Eagle Campbell Chesser tracking well from ankle injury
Mitchell Woodcock
The West Australian
Sun, 15 January 2023 7:00PM
Mitchell Woodcock
West Coast defender Tom Cole was full of praise for injury-stricken draftee Campbell Chesser.
West Coast defender Tom Cole was full of praise for injury-stricken draftee Campbell Chesser. Credit: Kelsey Reid/The West Australian
West Coast defender Tom Cole has allayed fears around the fitness of young midfielder Campbell Chesser, saying the prized draftee is tracking well in his return from a serious ankle injury.

Having missed the entirety of his first season on an AFL list, Chesser is yet to join in any of the main drills consistently this pre-season as the Eagles ease the teenager back into the training set-up ahead of a hotly-anticipated senior debut this year.

Cole, who is returning from his own season-ending ankle injury, said he witnessed first-hand how the first-round draftee tackles his rehabilitation and couldn’t have been more impressed.

As per usual your post is as clear as mud. If, after all this time you still don’t understand how the media works then you’re beyond help I. Bad news has far more impact than good news. How West Coast might move the ball, or Oscar Allen’s dietary habits won’t exactly have readers/subscribers champing at the bit. Do yourself a favour and treat the media like everyone else, i.e. read and forget, which we all do anyway.
The media's job is to attract eyeballs, clicks and interest. Thats how they make money. I think detailed stories about how the pre season is going would be of a lot of interest to a lot of people. Much more so than puff pieces or the drivel that they usually carry on with.

If you think that nobody is interested in detailed coverage of the pre season and such articles wouldn't attract any clicks or interest then please give examples of other ongoing stories that you think people would be more interested in? Because i can't think of any. All there is now for the next two months is the BBL and a few test in India next month.

Cant win them all.

1st round selections.

Need to nail last years qnd the next two drafts though.

Picture of Ginbey training kicking the ball and first thing I thought was Oliver. Big boy and will fill out.

Just need Long to turn into a Zorko or Neale type mid. We can dream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s elements of Jacks game that I love but I find it hard to see a lumbering 198cm forward making it. All the players around that height are so mobile and quicker than him too. He probably has a frame where he could fill out to he like a Tom Hawkins type man mountain but I feel like those type of players are dying out bow

There’s elements of Jacks game that I love but I find it hard to see a lumbering 198cm forward making it. All the players around that height are so mobile and quicker than him too. He probably has a frame where he could fill out to he like a Tom Hawkins type man mountain but I feel like those type of players are dying out bow
Hulks that can dominate in the air taking contested grabs and kick well will never die out. There will always be a role for that type of player- Hawkins has been the most successful forward in the past 5 years as far as goals kicked so a good case in point.

Wish we could loan out Williams to a reserves team that actually has a midfield that can get the ball into the forward line.

Player availability will help address this

Could have a WAFL midfield of Clark, West, SPS, Nelson, O’Neill, LEdwards, Winder and some of Chesser, Culley, Hewett and Ginbey depending on senior selection

That’s better than the collection of ammos we’ve had floating through there the last couple of years

Apologies to intrude on your page guys. I am very interested to hear how Ginbey, Hewett, Allen & Chesser are going?
These boys are the future of your club & I am very bullish on them taking you's to finals in a couple of years.
Chesser a little bit behind the others in terms of match readiness, coming off an ankle injury.

Ginbey seems to be the standout draftee on the track, according to Dom Sheed at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back