Training Pre Season '24

Remove this Banner Ad

It has done my ******* head in for years. We'd go a 15-25m chip kick to the pocket 90% of the time I reckon. Meanwhile other teams are hitting blokes onnthe chest 50m away kicking out.

The thing is, that helped win us 3 flags. In our prime, we were the best post Clerance side in the comp. When some of our poorer kicks turned that ball over, it was safe in a pocket and more often than not we won the ball back then sling shot down field with fast transition. When we did not win it, we just forced it over and reset.

I am happy for Adam to go with this corridor game style but by god I hope he has defense front of mind. It will look awesome when we score but if we turn it over in the guts, it will be so easy to be scored against if we are not set up behind the ball properly. Really looking forward to how we transition to a new style next year and just enjoy the ride of the players and the coaches learning as they go.

Ralphsmith our no 1 runner with elite endurance and speed?

Yze will earmark him early on for a wing spot I reckon.
With Yze I hope senior players won't be locked into their position for the whole season.

Replacing Kmac is a great start. I wonder if Ross holds his wing position.
I think Pickett is our best winger but if isn't in the selection frame Banks played there vs Port.

Any other players like Rioli or Short if Baker plays in defence.

The thing is, that helped win us 3 flags. In our prime, we were the best post Clerance side in the comp. When some of our poorer kicks turned that ball over, it was safe in a pocket and more often than not we won the ball back then sling shot down field with fast transition. When we did not win it, we just forced it over and reset.

I am happy for Adam to go with this corridor game style but by god I hope he has defense front of mind. It will look awesome when we score but if we turn it over in the guts, it will be so easy to be scored against if we are not set up behind the ball properly. Really looking forward to how we transition to a new style next year and just enjoy the ride of the players and the coaches learning as they go.
Yeah 100% it worked 4+ years ago, as did focussing on winning the ball back first rather than winning it at the source. But the game has changed and our list has changed but our gameplan remained largely the same.

I wouldn't worry about Yze forgetting about defence. 'Contest and defence' is all we've heard out of the dees for 3 years.

Do we think Yze will look to bring in some kids and give them a chance to cement themselves or will he stick the known players?
I reckon he will give the young players a better go in the seniors than Dimma and mini did. Dimma was too loyal to his premiership players.

Do we think Yze will look to bring in some kids and give them a chance to cement themselves or will he stick the known players?
truly hoping he sees this as a new era and gives opportunities to the kids. there's no point playing the old role players, it's now about bringing the kids up together through the next few seasons so we can challenge again. we do it half arsed and we'll get a half arsed end result then back to the drawing board like Blues/Dons eternally do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. That short kick in does nothing but allow opposition teams more time to set their defensive kick in structures up down the line.

There's a reason why teams always take the quick kick ins against us.
Adelaide’s kick-in strategy shift this season completely changed the way they play. Their kick-ins were so quick at one point that the broadcasters didn’t have enough time to switch cameras and catch it. Puts a lot of perceived offensive pressure on the opposition.

We were way too slow last season with it. Quickening up will help.

I think he’ll switch things up and give them a chance. New coaches tend to form their own opinion on who’s best 22.

Besides, we won’t get anywhere selecting based on seniority from 2024 onwards. For sentimental reasons, I was kinda fine with that until Hardwick left.

Selections in seasons 2024 and 2025 should favour potential for the next era over past performance. Players that are 30+ aren’t going to stay for long. Not recognising the transitional phase we’re in now is going to do us long-term damage.

Yze seems to have good footy judgement so far though, so I am not worried.

Main takeaways
-Using heat room to help build aerobic capacity and kickstart getting used to the summer heat

-Sampson has put on 4kgs over the break

-Dusty back doing fitness work before needing to be

-Training on narrower field to force corridor play

There is something about Yze being our coach that has me excited, I feel like he knows what he wants to achieve and has a plan!!!

There is something about Yze being our coach that has me excited, I feel like he knows what he wants to achieve and has a plan!!!
Agree mate

It’s so odd because we haven’t really seen anything bar 2 mins of training footage, a handful of photos and a couple of track reports

Without any actual interviews from players or coaches or even our full list back training but this year feels like a new vibe completely

I’m not sure how to explain it but it just feels fresh

It has done my ******* head in for years. We'd go a 15-25m chip kick to the pocket 90% of the time I reckon. Meanwhile other teams are hitting blokes onnthe chest 50m away kicking out.
The issue we had was who was the kicker. If a poor kick (say Astbury or Grimes) took the kick in but kicked to Shorty 15-20 m away, Short could run on another 10 and kick 60 to options on the wing or cental. That worked.

The problem came when the better kicks (Short / Vlastin) would take the kick in but Grimes is the free in the pocket. Then we were stuck coz he is defensive minded and slow so couldn't play on. Then he is restricted to a 40M kick over the man on the mark down the line where oppo players knew the ball would go. That bit did my ****** head in as well.

The game plan is so dependent on the use of the right players and the right time.

There is a place in the team for Grimes / Young etc who can play and defend, but jeez we gotta be smarter at using players strengths and avoiding weaknesses.

The issue we had was who was the kicker. If a poor kick (say Astbury or Grimes) took the kick in but kicked to Shorty 15-20 m away, Short could run on another 10 and kick 60 to options on the wing or cental. That worked.

The problem came when the better kicks (Short / Vlastin) would take the kick in but Grimes is the free in the pocket. Then we were stuck coz he is defensive minded and slow so couldn't play on. Then he is restricted to a 40M kick over the man on the mark down the line where oppo players knew the ball would go. That bit did my ****** head in as well.

The game plan is so dependent on the use of the right players and the right time.

There is a place in the team for Grimes / Young etc who can play and defend, but jeez we gotta be smarter at using players strengths and avoiding weaknesses.
Yeah, it was so odd that we would use Grimes as that handball outlet option who’s natural game is to slow down and assess the best option

When Grimes should be the one taking out the kick/ short handball out of the square and giving it to one of the more aggressive play makers

Sure they might turn it over but it least it will be 60 - 70m out when the ground is more fluid instead giving them opportunity for the oppos to zone up

Using Grimes and Kmac last year to try and generate run was really odd
I guess it was a byproduct of having Short and Baker playing up the ground more but it’s not like we didn’t have Rioli who wasn’t utilised as much as he should of been

Yeah, it was so odd that we would use Grimes as that handball outlet option who’s natural game is to slow down and assess the best option

When Grimes should be the one taking out the kick/ short handball out of the square and giving it to one of the more aggressive play makers

Sure they might turn it over but it least it will be 60 - 70m out when the ground is more fluid instead giving them opportunity for the oppos to zone up

Using Grimes and Kmac last year to try and generate run was really odd
I guess it was a byproduct of having Short and Baker playing up the ground more but it’s not like we didn’t have Rioli who wasn’t utilised as much as he should of been
Yep. I think Vlas, Rioli and even Broad are very good decision makers in the back half of the ground and have the skills to execute as well. Noah is fine for a long clear the area kick, but him, Grimes and Young should not be part of the plan to transition from defense (perhaps Noah can play forward - has anyone ever thought of this ;))

Personally I don't feel we have the footskills to play a long kicking corridor game, but it's not about winning the flag in 2024. Yze is probably building a gameplan for a flag 3-5 years away, which means we start working on it from day 1, and if there's a few bumps along the way so be it.

I'm all for going with attacking footy, hoping that our pressure and defense is still strong.

-Constant high pressure to force turnover
-Get back in transition to defend structurally well
-Move the ball forward with speed on offence

That's pretty much success 101 in the current AFL.

Agree mate

It’s so odd because we haven’t really seen anything bar 2 mins of training footage, a handful of photos and a couple of track reports

Without any actual interviews from players or coaches or even our full list back training but this year feels like a new vibe completely

I’m not sure how to explain it but it just feels fresh
We had Dimma for like 14 years or something, of course it feels fresh.

As great as the Dimma dynasty was from 17-20 there were quite a few frustrating years outside of those as well, so it wasn't always sunshine and rainbows.

The freshness does feel exciting, I also like what Yze seems to be bringing.

He was a created and beautifully skilled footballer, so hopefully he can add a dash of that to our players. One creative kick can save a hell of a lot of hard work when the kick is the opposite. It is only now you realise how important Shane Edwards was to us. Every touch created something out of nothing. More of that please.

Personally I don't feel we have the footskills to play a long kicking corridor game, but it's not about winning the flag in 2024. Yze is probably building a gameplan for a flag 3-5 years away, which means we start working on it from day 1, and if there's a few bumps along the way so be it.

I'm all for going with attacking footy, hoping that our pressure and defense is still strong.

-Constant high pressure to force turnover
-Get back in transition to defend structurally well
-Move the ball forward with speed on offence

That's pretty much success 101 in the current AFL.
I keep banging on about them but I think the key is that 2021 draft crop is they are the boys I’m more excited about

Even just reading back on what Clarke said post draft that year it’s clear we had a shift in the types of players we recruited

This is the year that we should really be able to see the benefits of those picks

“We have always had a bit of a focus on kicking, but we’ve played such a high-pressure style of footy that that hasn’t been as paramount [in recent years]. But with a slight change in the AFL rules maybe there’s a bit more of a focus on that [kicking], and these boys that we have brought in, particularly Brown, Banks and Clark – Sonsie is a good kick but he is more of a midfielder, a running type – that’s what we targeted with those three.

“I think it’s [the list has] had a bit of a tweak.

“I think there’s some data suggesting there’s a bit more attacking from the back half, rather than from the front half turnover. You’d like to play a front half turnover game, but if there is ball movement from the back half that is where you have got to have ball users to do that.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre Season '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back