Pre-season comp or 30 round season ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds good to me. No rigged draws, and all the whiney clubs get to host Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon every year.

It is too long unfortunately and the clubs will need some sort of warm up. I would be in favour of a 26 round season with no preseason cup. At least teams would see each other a little more often. The rotation would work faster.

Originally posted by Dan26
A 30 round regular season is good in theory but impossible in practice. It would simply be too long, and logistically unworkable.

22 rounds for me

How do you figure this Danny Boy ? !!!!!!!!! (scratching my head)

If you abolish the Pre season which goes for 6 -7 weeks and you add 8 weeks to the regular season. Hence: making it fair so that every team plays once away and once at home than how can the season be too long and logistically un-workable ???????

After all if it were a 30 round competition than I assure you, there will be much larger crowds for the last 8 weeks than the 6 week, mickey mouse competition that is currently played...

And by the way that was my idea ! the person who started this thread stole my idea.... Grrrrrrrr ! : )

Originally posted by chev1977

How do you figure this Danny Boy ? !!!!!!!!! (scratching my head)

If you abolish the Pre season which goes for 6 -7 weeks and you add 8 weeks to the regular season. Hence: making it fair so that every team plays once away and once at home than how can the season be too long and logistically un-workable ???????

After all if it were a 30 round competition than I assure you, there will be much larger crowds for the last 8 weeks than the 6 week, mickey mouse competition that is currently played...

And by the way that was my idea ! the person who started this thread stole my idea.... Grrrrrrrr ! : )

Haven't you learnt by now that Dan is always right. If it is logistically un-workable, well we should assume that it is just logistically un-workable ! You've stated something that "logistically", yet you haven't given us the logistics of your answer. Or was that you being logistic ?

Please explain Dan ( logistically of course ) ?

ps-

30 round season is the best solution but as Dan points out, its a long hard season and difficult to pull off with the amount of travelling required.

I'm all for it, but some measures have to put in place to stop player (and fan) fatigue.

Heres a few suggestions :

- Squads increased to 42 + rookies but on field personnel reduced to 16 with a 6 man interchange.

- Gametime reduced to 4 x 18 minute quarters + time on.

- No club to travel interstate 2 weeks in a row

- Early season games played in twilight and evening hours (to avoid the heat)

- Split round in Weeks 11 and 22 to give every club two full weeks off each season.

- A short 3 week finals series which is a straight knock-out 8 to 4 to 2 (GF)

- The AFL to charter or purchase 2 purpose built Boeing 737's for travelling clubs, each aircraft fully euipped with comfy seating, beds, medical facilities, plenty of stretching out room etc etc.

Like I said - it could be made to work, and has to be made to work really - the current 22 week draw is horribly unfair to evryone concerned.

cheers

I am all for the 30 round season, and finals, but would the AFL be allowed to use grounds like the MCG, the SCG, the GABBA, or Optus oval in February? These grounds all have Cricket. Their is only one ground in Melbourne that could be used all year, and that is Colonic. I know my attitude is to bugger the Cricket, because their is no such thing as too much footy, but I doubt that the people in charge of Cricket would agree with me.

Originally posted by play on
I am all for the 30 round season, and finals, but would the AFL be allowed to use grounds like the MCG, the SCG, the GABBA, or Optus oval in February? These grounds all have Cricket. Their is only one ground in Melbourne that could be used all year, and that is Colonic. I know my attitude is to bugger the Cricket, because their is no such thing as too much footy, but I doubt that the people in charge of Cricket would agree with me.

Why couldn't the season finish late October with the first cricket test to be played at Bellereve ? This way, cricket pitches can be prepared properly .

Look guys, realistically a 30-round season is unworkable. There is no way it is going to happen. The AFL aren't just going to add two friggin months onto the regular season.

The one way it could happen would be to abolish the double chance (which is the biggeast load of crap ever contrived. it is a nonsense) and make the finals knockout over three weeks as BSA pointed out. I have been proposing this for years. And I don't care what anyone says, it is the BEST way to conclude the season by so far it isn't funny.

Then, the season goes for 33 weeks. Last year that 33 week season would have started on February 16th (no split round), and concluded on GF day (29th September.) February 16th is a ridiculously early start for the proper season.

Clubs would have to manage their playing list, giving certain players "rests" (as is common in the EPL) for it to work. Most players wouldn't be able to handle 33 weeks, which would be the AFL's main concern. The AFL Players association thinks the season is too long, so a lot of water would have to pass under the bridge for it to happen.

So, yes it is possible I suppose and great in theory, but I can't see the AFL making such a massive change.

I agree with BSA's 6 man interchange but aren't sure about the 16 a field proposition. This wouldn't add to a players longevity surely. Also, I am not an advocate for anything that shortens the amount of game time. I like the idea that records can be broken and taking away the amount of time a team or a player has to break records doesn't appeal to me. I know that a 16 a side game would address that imbalance but think the status quo would do the same. Could you imagine the day that Brendan Fevola (;)) kicks his 151st goal for the year and the purists coming out and saying "ah yes but he did it with 16 a side and wide open spaces" and me saying "yes but the games were shorter". And then Dan would give us some sort of goal to minute percentage to work out a solution...... no thanks, the very idea gives me a headache. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on your last point Dan...

The game ( so the experts say ) is more preofessional than ever before. Players usually get between 6 - 10 weeks off per year depending on whether a side makes the finals or not.

I can see this 30 round season hapenning before 2010.

For a comparison, the English Premier league goes for around the same time. They somehow manage to squeeze in between 45-60 games per season and have a three month "off season". I know the games are shorter and less physically challenging than AFL, but how is it managed in England, yet for reasons unbeknown, it is not manageable here.

The AFL has got to be the only competition in the world where you meet some teams twice, and others once. Everyone must be laughing at us because of the irregularities of our fixturing. It's a joke.

Originally posted by Worm4
For a comparison, the English Premier league goes for around the same time. They somehow manage to squeeze in between 45-60 games per season and have a three month "off season". I know the games are shorter and less physically challenging than AFL, but how is it managed in England, yet for reasons unbeknown, it is not manageable here.

There are often games scheduled during the week, to get up to the standard 38 game season. And as you said, it is less physical than Australian Football. I'm sure it would be mangeable here, but it hasn't had a chance to be manageable, because there hasn't been a 30-round season starting in Mid-February before.

Major League Baeball starts in April and run through to October (perfectly normal), the NFL starts in September and runs through to January (perfectly normal)

It is unrealistic to expect us to start the PROPER stuff on February 16th and finish at the end of September. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but winter sports don't have their regular season starting in Summer! Does the Pura Cup cricket start in winter?

Originally posted by Worm4
The AFL has got to be the only competition in the world where you meet some teams twice, and others once. Everyone must be laughing at us because of the irregularities of our fixturing. It's a joke.

You're wrong. The NFL is a 30 team comp, where there are only 16 matches played. Teams meet some teams twice, others only once, and most of the teams they don't meet at all!

Basketball (NBA) is the same. There are 29 teams. All teams meet 14 teams 4 or 5 times each, and they meet the teams in the other conference twice.

30 rounds. No preseason bull****. No top 8, just top 6 or even just a top 4. I beleive you'd see better qaulity football all year round. And no one has "an unfair draw". :)
Everyone is happy. :)

Originally posted by M29
30 rounds. No preseason bull****. No top 8, just top 6 or even just a top 4. I believe you'd see better qaulity football all year round. And no one has "an unfair draw". :)
Everyone is happy. :)

Can that top-4 be with two knockout semi-finals and then a Grand Final M29?

Out of the 2 options, a 30 round season for me.

I like BSA's suggestions...the only one I would add would be limiting a player to say, a maximum of 27 home and away games, thus ensuring that a player gets at least 3 breaks during the season. It would also be interesting to see how the coaches manage their players with a number of games played restriction.

As for th 16 players, the old VFA used to be played with 16 on the field. For the official team announcements, they had no players named on the wings.

Can that top-4 be with two knockout semi-finals and then a Grand Final M29?

Yes, as short as possible. As more then anything, any of the top 4 would be worthy premiers. Unless of course, some team wins like 27 games and 2nd to 4th only win say 20 each.

Originally posted by Shinboners
ODNs

I know one guy who will name his entire 16 in the midfield....although if his club is playing Hawthorn, all 16 will be in the forward line. ;)
I have no idea what the freo you are talking about. Can you narrow it down?

Look guys, realistically a 30-round season is unworkable. There is no way it is going to happen. The AFL aren't just going to add two friggin months onto the regular season.

The one way it could happen would be to abolish the double chance (which is the biggeast load of crap ever contrived. it is a nonsense) and make the finals knockout over three weeks as BSA pointed out. I have been proposing this for years. And I don't care what anyone says, it is the BEST way to conclude the season by so far it isn't funny.

Then, the season goes for 33 weeks. Last year that 33 week season would have started on February 16th (no split round), and concluded on GF day (29th September.) February 16th is a ridiculously early start for the proper season.

Clubs would have to manage their playing list, giving certain players "rests" (as is common in the EPL) for it to work. Most players wouldn't be able to handle 33 weeks, which would be the AFL's main concern. The AFL Players association thinks the season is too long, so a lot of water would have to pass under the bridge for it to happen.

So, yes it is possible I suppose and great in theory, but I can't see the AFL making such a massive change.

KNOCK KNOCK (ON YOUR HEAD) IS ANYONE HOME ??? HELLOOOOOOOOOO !!!

if you piss of the stuid preseason the whole 30 round season + finals etc..... will fit into place just nicely without going into any other sporting season duh !!

it would start in feb just like the ansett cup or whatever it is called and then end on that one day in september !!!

a 30 round season is viable, common sense and most people want the season longer not shorter...never shorter how can u get sick of afl ? but it's not longer oh correct me a whopping 2 weeks

Just so you can get it if a 30 round season were played this year this is how the date's would fall :

Round 1 15th february
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
Round 9
Round 10 19 april
Round 11
Round 12
Round 13
Round 14
Round 15
Round 16
Round 17
Round 18
Round 19
Round 20 28 june
Round 21
Round 22
Round 23
Round 24
Round 25
Round 26
Round 27
Round 28
Round 29
Round 30 6 september

28th september for grandfinal so the season starts a week earlier big deal ! so a week earlier than the 15th feb (with no split round)

so in order for a 30 round competition you need to abolish the Ansett Cup. take the season back 1 week so that would be the 8th of Febuary (long enough break for the footballers and they WOULD be fit enough to start at that date and fit enough to handle the length of the season) they would have been playing in the Ansett Cup anyway so they are most defineitley fit enough to handle 30 + rounds or more there will be no dredfull split-rounds and the Grand Final will still be able to be played on it's traditional day of that one day in september !! (the last day in september)

the Victorians will be exactly equal on travel as the interstate clubs, it is fair !!!

every club will be able to play there side one away and one at home ! even if they both choose neutral grounds...

there would be larger crowds for the yearly total, more money into the AFL and back to the clubs etc....

it will abolish the waste of money competition that does not mean a thing called the (Ansett Cup) and create more money...more interest etc...

God I could go on and on........

there are no pitfalls not one ~~!!!!! only posative's

30 round vote 1 by me

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season comp or 30 round season ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back