Pre-season draft or mid-season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the pre-season draft draws near, I ask the question, "Should we have a pre-season draft or a mid-season draft?"

The pre-season draft is becoming a rarely used avenue to pick up players these days, with some experts saying as few as 6 players could be selected this year, I wonder if a mid-season draft could be more beneficial.

My thinking is along these lines :--

If a club finds injuries occuring as the season progresses they can promote a rookie player, but what if they do not have the right type of player on their Rookie list?

A mid-season draft could be used to pick up an experienced player to fill a need that only becomes obvious once the games have commenced.

I would like to see what others think of this idea.

------------------
Chris

Chris,
We used to have a mid season draft but unfortunately it didn't help even the competition. What would happen was that the clubs battling it out for the flag would identify their weaknesses and then target specific players at other clubs. This just made the weaker clubs weaker and the stronger more successful.

Those players targeted would then be offered the chance to play in a finals and perhaps premiership side. This was particularly appealing to older more senior players who may never get another chance. The targeted clubs couldn't hold the players back as this was a restraint of trade and so had to accept whatever was offered.

By only promoting players to the senior list and have standard contracts which finish end of year in most cases the clubs have tried to avoid this. Good idea but it needs some more thought.

I don't know whether this will get much support due to the complexities in implementing it- i.e. AFLPA / Salary Cap/ new guidelines.

BUT
I would be 'un-vocal' supporter of it, as I do see a lot of merits going for it. I mean you never know who injury /shocking form is going to strike- especially for us with no back up players in defense
mad.gif
- we could pick up a star performer during the season in the Westar/SANFL/VFL- just 'til the end of the season- then re-evaluate his position then. Or it could be an ignored draftee who has come in leaps and bounds during the season who will definitely be picked up at the next draft. An overlooked delisting from the previous year who's standing out like a sore thumb in a state comp. You never know. I mean surely a "second rate" player with the size to hold back a key position would be better than a 6 foot Kretiuk when Hunter and Ellis are out- sorry about relating it back to the doggies
wink.gif

I would imagine bottom sides would get priority- this could also give a team a new injection of enthusiasm if for example- two players stood out and could step into the seniors straight away. Granted, with the current playing pool and analysis of it, it would be doubtful a STAR would filter through the system- but it is possible. But at worst it's worth a gamble to get a consistent performer as 38th on your list- who's performing right there and then! No pre-season to lose form etc.

Pretty big "if's" - i know- but even if only a couple of them worked out it would be equal to or even more successful than the current success rate of the pre season.

Just a quick question- would you also support mid-season delistings? It would open a whole new dimension- for example if Sav Rocca was delisted mid season instead of having to wait till the end of the season- a club could have picked him up- new FF for a team who expected a draftee to step into the role but hasn't performed- new environment/enthusiasm for Sav straight away- instead of having to wait on Collingwood's list- 8 months till he actually gets a game.

But then this brings up the problem- Eddie saying- "we could get something for return during trading period at the end of the season- why lose him for nothing mid-season?".... which could in turn see a case for mid season trading- another concept which may need consideration. With a salary cap- and Aussie Rules system being in stark contrast to the European soccer cash based system- I'm not going there.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by amazonstud:
Chris,
We used to have a mid season draft but unfortunately it didn't help even the competition. What would happen was that the clubs battling it out for the flag would identify their weaknesses and then target specific players at other clubs. This just made the weaker clubs weaker and the stronger more successful.

Those players targeted would then be offered the chance to play in a finals and perhaps premiership side. This was particularly appealing to older more senior players who may never get another chance. The targeted clubs couldn't hold the players back as this was a restraint of trade and so had to accept whatever was offered.

By only promoting players to the senior list and have standard contracts which finish end of year in most cases the clubs have tried to avoid this. Good idea but it needs some more thought.

All good points, but I was referring to unlisted players, not players who were already on an AFL list

------------------
Chris

Chris, im with you. Why couldnt a club at least be allowed to trial someone from the EDFL,Amatuers etc. David King,Hotton,Barlow are all proof that there is some untapped talent out there that can make it if given the opportunity. Some might just need that bit of maturity like Hotton and Barlow did to settle and become fairly decent senior players. Then of course theres the gems like King.

Also by say, round 11. Some clubs might have found out that they have players that theyve drafted that for whatever reasons, are just not up to AFL standard. Why cant they be allowed to pay out the contract and be allowed to bring in somebody that might.

I dont reckon this would lead to wholesale changes of lists, but maybe one or two players might make it through to become decent players.

amazonstud carped:

Please give us one example of a player being picked up in this manner in a previous mid-season draft.

Only really need one draft with the balance of players coming from the Rookie/Supp List.

The success rate from the drafts is appalling
and increasing the number of drafts is not warranted.
All these extra draft means that clubs do not try and develop players and go for the quick fix. The quick fix rarely works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back