Mega Thread Pre-season thread - Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im so glad all of the reports on Gumby are positive and it seems like people are starting to come round to that fact that it was a good idea for us to trade for him and that he could actually be an important player for us. I have been pressing hard for about 3 years for us to go after him and I really couldn't be happier for the bloke that he is starting to string a pre season and trainings together. He really does deserve a break and im glad its with us and not another team.

Im so glad all of the reports on Gumby are positive and it seems like people are starting to come round to that fact that it was a good idea for us to trade for him and that he could actually be an important player for us. I have been pressing hard for about 3 years for us to go after him and I really couldn't be happier for the bloke that he is starting to string a pre season and trainings together. He really does deserve a break and im glad its with us and not another team.

We did go after him but he re-signed with the Bombers, who seemed to have lost faith in him, but a year spent mostly in the magoos seems to have swayed him to move home.

The really big question is going to be "What is his ceiling?" As a former #2 draft pick he has all the talent, strength and size inside him for that ceiling to be very high indeed. What the legacy of his back/hamstring history is going to be is unknown, and nobody in their right mind is expecting him to be the next big thing. But if he can be a good marking target, show the capacity to crash a pack, kick a couple of goals a game or take a stint in the ruck, then he will be extremely valuable.

We did go after him but he re-signed with the Bombers, who seemed to have lost faith in him, but a year spent mostly in the magoos seems to have swayed him to move home.

The really big question is going to be "What is his ceiling?" As a former #2 draft pick he has all the talent, strength and size inside him for that ceiling to be very high indeed. What the legacy of his back/hamstring history is going to be is unknown, and nobody in their right mind is expecting him to be the next big thing. But if he can be a good marking target, show the capacity to crash a pack, kick a couple of goals a game or take a stint in the ruck, then he will be extremely valuable.

He had surgery 12-18 months ago which removed the scar tissue that was causing his back\hamstring issues.

My expectations are
- 15+ games
- 2+ goals a game
- Take pressure of Pav and prevent him being double teamed
- Allow Mayne and Resting ruck to get a lesser defender.
- Kick 8 in Grand Final , the last 3 against Franklin who McPharlin had kept to 2 hand balls for the first 3 quarters.

He had surgery 12-18 months ago which removed the scar tissue that was causing his back\hamstring issues.

My expectations are
- 15+ games
- 2+ goals a game
- Kick 8 in Grand Final , the last 3 against Franklin who McPharlin had kept to 2 hand balls for the first 3 quarters.
You're forgetting to add the 8 he kicks against Norf while Crowley keeps Harvey to 3 touches and a lot of tears, as we cruise to a 120+ point win. After the game Crowley asks Harvey to pinch him, because Crowley can't believe how dominant he and the rest of the team have been and he just wants to make sure he isn't dreaming.

*edit* It may be possible that I now hate North more than (can't believe I'm actually saying this) the Egirls.

You're forgetting to add the 8 he kicks against Norf while Crowley keeps Harvey to 3 touches and a lot of tears, as we cruise to a 120+ point win. After the game Crowley asks Harvey to pinch him, because Crowley can't believe how dominant he and the rest of the team have been and he just wants to make sure he isn't dreaming.

*edit* It may be possible that I now hate North more than (can't believe I'm actually saying this) the Egirls.

I remember when we played Geelong the week after and Joel Selwood said that Crowley played within the rules. I still couldn't believe that the focus was on Crowley's pinching and not on the blatant lie of 300 pinches in a single game. But the chook lotto that is the MRP convicted an innocent player on the basis of another players reputation. Very poor form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when we played Geelong the week after and Joel Selwood said that Crowley played within the rules. I still couldn't believe that the focus was on Crowley's pinching and not on the blatant lie of 300 pinches in a single game. But the chook lotto that is the MRP convicted an innocent player on the basis of another players reputation. Very poor form.
I thought it amazing that the complete lack of corroborating evidence from the umpires and from the cameras that were often on Harvey and Crowls was completely ignored.

My expectations are
- 15+ games
- 2+ goals a game

Like you I am making sure that I am keeping a lid on my expectations of him.

By the way, regarding Mayne, if he was lining up against us, Pavlich/MacPharlin, Gumby/Dawson, MJ/resting ruck?, Ibbotson/Mayne, Duffield and Spurr the others. Take out Gumby and it would still be Ibbo on Mayne as he is the best match-up.

Is there training on today? I get a feeling they've swapped to the normal seasons Tuesday / Thursday Training (since a closed intraclub match last Tuesday 4th and an open one a week later on the 11th)?

Wont be many there today or tomorrow - maybe only rehab groups.

"The playing squad and coaches will visit towns including Pinjarra, Harvey and Collie from Thursday 6 February to Friday 7 February next year."
Team is off at the Community Camp 2014.

_

I get the feeling that we may see Apeness and Grey being developed into the next generation of our 2 pronged attack .
Both very mobile and Grey has the skill of a midfielder in a big CHF or FP body.
Apness second ruck FF with Taberner holding down CHF or HFF .
I would be very happy if this is how it works out .
Only time will tell .

I get the feeling that we may see Apeness and Grey being developed into the next generation of our 2 pronged attack .
Both very mobile and Grey has the skill of a midfielder in a big CHF or FP body.
Only time will tell .

Grey is a small mid ,

Only time will tell .

Grey is listed at 181cm and 83kg which would be an unusual "big CHF or FP body", and would need to displace a pretty long list of decent small/medium forwards. I am going to tip that he is more likely to be a midfielder for us than a forward. Wood if he can put some beef on could be a weapon up there, and A Pearce maybe.

He coulda said that:)
i-see-what-you-did-there-baby-meme.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back