9. Kangaroos
10.Brisbane Lions
11. Port adelaide
12. Melbourne
13. Collingwood
14. Carlton
15. Hawthorn
16. Richmond

Brisbane will be in the top 4 this year, Bombers in the bottom 4, Bulldogs in the lower part of the 8, Swans also.

sammm said:
you are then saying that it is the coaches fault that both jones and penny retire, how laughable are you!!!!!!

GT has been in charge for many years now - it is his job to ensure that quality/depth is achieved across every line.

it's not Grant's fault that Austinn Jones and Luke Penny don't have the ability/mindset to go on, but it is his fault that there isn't an obvious candidate to step in. if just one of Riewoldt, Hamill, Koschitzke or Gehrig (his 'unstoppable forwardline') had been developed to play either end of the ground, this issue wouldn't be half as big as it is.

even the worst teams kick goals, but quality defence is what separates the 'good' teams from the very best

TigerFan said:
even the worst teams kick goals, but quality defence is what separates the 'good' teams from the very best

i agree- refer to the Uber Forward Line of the early-mid 90's down at geelong- yet because of a marginal defensive lineup the Cats couldn't crack it for a premiership... :cool:

1-West Coast
2-StKilda
3-Geelong
4-Sydney
5-Fremantle
6-Adelaide
7-Western Bulldogs
8-Melbourne
9-Port Adelaide
10-Brisbane
11-Kangaroos
12-Richmond
13-Hawthorn
14-Essendon
15-Collingwood
16-Carlton

1- West Coast
Although they are still one good forward option shy of being a real cup contender, they have the depth across the rest of the ground to finish on top again.
2- St Kilda
If their defence remains solid (and injury free), they could go all the way in 2006.
3- Sydney
The reigning premiers will continue their good form
4- Adelaide
The biggest home ground advantage and a decent side will see this team in the top 4.
5- Western Bulldogs
Eade and his talented troops to pull off a few big wins over quality teams to come screaming into the top 8
6- Kangaroos
Will be sufficiently better than the bottom 8 teams, but not good enough against the top teams to be a contender
7- Geelong
The cats good run will begin to decline in 2006. Ottens will struggle, and if either Scarlett, Ling or G. Ablett get injured, they may not even make the 8.
8- Brisbane
Brisbanes old guard of Akermanis, Voss etc to have one last good year, while the new boys start to play good footy. Will be making up the numbers come finals however.
9- Fremantle
Despite playing with heart, Fremantle will slip up in a few 'must win' games against lower placed sides to see them miss out on finals.
10- Port Adelaide
Lack the depth and the class to continue their 2004 form. Possible that Mark Williams will be the next coach to lose his job, if Connoly doesn't first.
11- Hawthorn
Clarkson will have the Hawks playing good, honest footy. However he lacks the talent to go much further with them. A few of their kids will impress.
12- Essendon
Essendon won't make the 8, but their final ladder position will be completely reliant on the fitness and form of key playmakers Hird, Lloyd and Lucas.
13- Richmond
Terry Wallace will do good things with this team, but i can foresee a similar situation to 2005 where the loss of one playmaker will have the team fall.
14- Melbourne
Lack of depth and class across the board will see the dee's struggle in 2006. Byron Pickett to add strength rebounding off the HBF, but likely to also cause tribunal and team dynamic problems.
15- Collingwood
After another poor year, Malthouse will 'volunteer to resign' at the end of the year.
16- Carlton
Too much pressure on young kids to develop and veterans to perform will see the team collapse on itself. Pagan on his last legs. Eddie Betts to kick more goals than Fevola.

#1 West Coast
#2 Brisbane
#3 St.Kilda
#4 Melbourne
#5 Bulldogs
#6 Geelong
#7 Fremantle
#8 Sydney

#9 Port Adelaide
#10 Adelaide
#11 Richmond
#12 Essendon
#13 Carlton
#14 Kangaroos
#15 Collingwood
#16 Hawthorn

TigerFan said:
3. St. Kilda - like West Coast, their midfield quality is high. unlike West Coast, their backline is laughable. taking Austinn Jones and Luke Penny out of an already shaky backline might have just signed GT's death warrant.

Max, Maguire, Koschitzke, S.Fisher >> Penny
L.Fisher, X. and R.Clarke, B.Voss and S.Baker >>> Jones in 2006
Laughable??? sounds like a premiership line up to me with the right amount of experience behind it.

Now let me tell you something first off PENNY was slow and ******ed he was a defender only - you would've been preaching this. As for Jones yes he was once the great runner but was causing problems personally at StKilda and Dal Santo, the Clarkes (undrestimate them at your own peril!:mad: ) are more than capable.

The facts are Stkilda have a team all willing and wanting to win for each other whats your team have? N.Brown?? you reckon he is loved by his teammates??? believe what you want but the tiges problems go much deeper than having ******** players!! :thumbsu:

Lets Talk AFL said:
Max, Maguire, Koschitzke, S.Fisher >> Penny
L.Fisher, X. and R.Clarke, B.Voss and S.Baker >>> Jones in 2006
Laughable??? sounds like a premiership line up to me with the right amount of experience behind it.

if your back six was a premiership back six, it would have been settled by now. AFL experience is one thing (X and R Clarke, S and L Fisher all lack this), experience together is another thing entirely (apart from Voss and Hudghton, none of the players you've listed have actually played in the same back six over an extended period).

Now let me tell you something first off PENNY was slow and ******ed he was a defender only - you would've been preaching this. As for Jones yes he was once the great runner but was causing problems personally at StKilda and Dal Santo, the Clarkes (undrestimate them at your own peril!:mad: ) are more than capable.

if you don't rate Penny or Jones, fair enough, but they are still members of your 2005 back six - and therefore need to be replaced. as for the Clarkes, they may turn out to be quality footballers, but I doubt they will be five star defenders in 2006.

The facts are Stkilda have a team all willing and wanting to win for each other whats your team have? N.Brown?? you reckon he is loved by his teammates??? believe what you want but the tiges problems go much deeper than having ******** players!! :thumbsu:

it's not Richmond you have to worry about champ, I expect St. Kilda to finish much higher than Richmond in 2006, but beating Richmond in April and beating West Coast/Geelong/Sydney in September are two entirely different propositions.

as for your views on Nathan Brown, I suggest you refrain from commenting on the Richmond inner sanctum for as long as you are not a member of it.

1. Fremantle
2. West Coast
3. St Kilda
4. Adelaide
5. North Melbourne
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Geelong
8. Sydney
-------
9. Port Adelaide
10. Melbourne
11. Brisbane
12. Richmond
13. Hawthorn
14. Collingwood
15. Carlton
16. Essendon

Dan26 said:
Ladder is always difficult, because there are always surprise packets, and there are always surpise disappoinments. I usually have a bit of a stab, and put a few smokeys in. Who would have predicted, in 2005, for instance, that Adelaide would finish minor-premiers?

Ladder after round 22:

1.West Coast
2.St.Kilda
3.Essendon
4.Geelong
5.Melbourne
6.Richmond
7.Adelaide
8.Port Adelaide

9. Sydney
10. Collingwood
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Hawthorn
13. Brisbane
14. Kangaroos
15. Fremantle
16. Carlton

IMO, Sydney, Geelong, Adelaide, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Richmond & Brisbane are all better sides than Essendon at this time.

Some of the above are IMO much better than Essendon at this time by quite a long way.

Alright I'll have a crack:

1. WCE
2. Geelong
3. Sydney
4. Adelaide
5. St Kilda
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Melbourne
8. Fremantle
9. Brisbane
10. Collingwood
11. Hawthorn
12. Kangaroos
13. Richmond
14. Essendon
15. Port Adelaide
16. Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1: St.Kilda
2: West Coast
3: Western Bulldogs
4: Sydney
5: Geelong
6: Adelaide
7: Collingwood
8: Kangaroos
--------------------------
9: Melbourne
10: Essendon
11: Fremantle
12: Richmond
13: Brisbane
14: Port Adelaide
15: Hawthorn
16: Carlton

A very, very difficult ladder to predict. The positions from 7th to 13th could easily be thrown up in the air and that would end up the order. The Bulldogs appear set to be the big leapers up the table, while the Power might just be destined for a fall, as they enter their first rebuilding faze since they joined the competition in 1997. However, if the youth of Thomson, Ebert and Salopeck can shine through, they may not fall as deep as I have predicted they will.

Melbourne and the Kangaroos were the hardest to call. Both have experianced lists, and when going can knock off just about anyone in the league. North have gone hard in the recruiting stakes, securing Hay and Rawlings. With a blend of the old and the new, and a forward line consisting of Rocca, Thompson, Jones and Petrie, North may surprise and go a fair distance in September.

Very hard to predict, and it will most likely differ from my predictions, but, that's footy. :)

Skip, Collingwood will finish way higher than last. Much higher.

As for the Bombers, will come very close to if not make the eight - but are not top four material nor are they bottom four. Somewhere inbetween 6th and 10th. 2007, like Collingwood and Richmond, and possibly Hawthorn is the year that they will rise.

carn_the_cattas said:
Nah, they don't. Mooney, S.Johnson and Scarlett to name a few.

Not the consistant, tall forward match winners - a shining light when the side is under pressure. Ottens could fill the breach, but he needs to find his best form first. Johnson has potential, but needs to add consistancy to his game while Mooney is generally not a forward, but did win the match against Melbourne in the EF from the ruck.

Not sure on Scarlett.

West Coast
St.Kilda
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle

Kangaroos
Essendon
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Carlton

Mountain West said:
1. St. Kilda - The list speaks for itself. Now it's a matter of closing the deal.
2. West Coast Eagles - See St. Kilda
3. Western Bulldogs - This team will remind everyone of the 1st New England Patriots Super Bowl team.
4. Geelong - Tight D. Forwards must step up if a flag is to make Kardinia for the 1st time since the 50's or 60's.
5. Sydney Swans - Don't write these guys off.
6. Adelaide - Still is a finalist, but will not repeat last season.
7. Port Adelaide - They'll sneak in deapite what Mark Williams says.
8. Richmond - Could be a surprise sneak-in.
9. Melbourne - Will be a factor, but just miss.
10. Kangaroos - See Melbourne.
11. Essendon - Down, but not for long.
12. Fremantle - Schizophrenia, Australia.
13. Brisbane Lions - Time's up.
14. Hawthorn - Give it a couple of years before they return to form.
15. Carlton - If you think you can make the 8, SHOW ME.
16. Collingwood - Can't stay healthy.

Not a bad effort..bit hopeful for the doggies though, maybe make the 8, Port very doubtful, Freo could be top 4 or bottom 4..unpredictable..

Hard Ball Get said:
I think there are a few spots in the 8 that are a given.
Geelong
WCE
St. Kilda
Sydney
These are in no particular order.

Then there is a side that should make it.
Adelaide

Then the ones that will look to battle for the other spots.
Bulldogs
Port
Brisbane
Kangaroos
Melbourne

The ones that I think will miss but are a chance.
Essendon
Fremantle

Finally the sides that I cant see having an impact.
Hawthorn
Carlton
Collingwood
Richmond

You have just about got it right Hard Ball...

TigerFan said:
I expect St. Kilda to finish much higher than Richmond in 2006, but beating Richmond in April and beating West Coast/Geelong/Sydney in September are two entirely different propositions.

as for your views on Nathan Brown, I suggest you refrain from commenting on the Richmond inner sanctum for as long as you are not a member of it.

:thumbsu: Giving up on ya tiges already?? Sounds about right typical tiger fan. I will when you do.

BomberAUS said:
Can you explain why?

I personally can't see it happening. Nothing much will change except Rocca will be back. Poor midfield, solid defence and okay forward line won't be enough for 7th.

The reinclusion of Rocca, Richards (very important) and Fraser, a fit Tarrant (no injuries), and fit Buckley, Johnson and Didak. It will make a big difference to the side. We made the top four easily with a similar crop of players, and there is no reason why 6th-7th is not out of the question. Our forward line, in particular, will be the real match-winner. I'm positive about our prospects (as all supporters should be about their teams), but 2007 is the year we should truly challenge for top four and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Predicted AFL Ladder After Round 22 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Back