Preview Preliminary Final: Collingwood v GWS, MCG 22 September, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficialJordynRuffhead

I'll do my best to answer your questions here.

Haven't watched much GWS this year, have heard people talk about the orange tsunami etc.. and obviously Kingsley is also a Dimma disciple. Sounds like their game is quite similar to ours, what are the main similarities and differences between how they play vs how we play? I imagine their stoppage work is stronger than ours is?

There's not really a lot different in style between the two, in a very simplistic view, both teams ideal game is (without possession) close space, create turnover and transition with numbers forward of the ball, it's what gives us real estate i50 - and the giants.

^ Both teams have leg speed with their link players (after winning possession) like a Markov or a Hill who has pushed up the ground, and / or ball speed with surgical transition, think Nick or Josh passing won ball to a player in the clear in corridor like a Degs or Crisp.

The giants probably have superior centre clearance though, however we've won many games losing this metric, probably as a result of having organized team defence (not just d50) behind the ball. It forces opposition to kick to contest. Giants also seem to have similarly well organized team defence.

So they don't necessarily have a better stoppage game, apart from centre bounce, again doesn't seem to phase the Pies.

The question mark is that difference is gws have played teams that have been easy to apply their game to, on top of that haven't been applying this game style as long as we have - we have more continuity with this game for longer.

In short both games are high intensity requiring two way running to outnumber at the contest and outnumber on possession.

That's another question mark for the giants, they've been on planes and all over the country side and have played this high intensity game for most of their game time, and will have to do it again on a short break. They won't be able to bring that intensity for as long as what a fresh Pies can, not to mention we're much higher pressure than either the saints or power.

On face value it looks they're up against it.
I agree - I expect them to drop off in the later in the game, so the main thing is not to leave too much to do late in the game like we did against the Swans last year.
Even against Port they only scored 2.0 in the last quarter against 1.9, although it's possible they just shut up shop.
A start like we had against Melbourne would be just the ticket, but with Billy and Checkers kicking straighter.

bucks is on the giants as well, it’s like they can’t see beyond the games that have just been played

We live in a flavour of the month world. Our first half against the Dees has been totally dismissed.

Bring on the orange team and watch our boys pulverise them from the the first bounce.

All year: "Collingwood's best is the best in the competition"
But also all year: "Pies have dropped off... not good enough... teams will worry them... etc..."

What a crock. We finished top of the ladder with a game to spare. We've brought consistency all year.

Watching round 9 - with the caveat that it's not finals pressure AND Pies revved up by Mrs McCreery - it really appears that GWS haven't changed their style since then. In that it is fast-flowing, handball-driven and they have winners all over the ground. Hogan is a great lead-up forward and strong overhead. Green is a ball magnet. Coniglio a strong performer. And their back line is very good at intercept.

BUT

What the Pies did to bring them down was simply outnumber at the contest, forward pressure and relentless running. We just do it better for longer. We forced so many forward turnovers, drove from half back and denied them easy run. Mason Cox had an absolute blinder of a match clunking everything.

Wade has our team fit and humming along for finals, we'll have the energy and definitely have the desire. I see this being a hard-fought battle for the first-half and then we kick away to a manageable 3-4 goal margin for the rest of the match with GWS still challenging until the end much like Port did to them.

My tactic is to load up on our fast starts. Play Ginnivan as a starter and sub him out halfway through 3rd quarter so we can swap in a running defender (i.e. Markov or Noble) to help maintain a lead and repel attacks.

bucks is on the giants as well, it’s like they can’t see beyond the games that have just been played
When the saints got on a roll after half time and the crowd got involved , the giants looked vulnerable

The crowd could be our biggest weapon if we get on a roll

David King SEN this morning ...Giants playing similar style to us but playing it better than us ..." this is a disaster for Collingwood "...lol...my god he drops on and off ..I actually prefer him off us
Did he really say this game is a disaster for Collingwood?What a ridiculous thing to say..

Nick a lazy 41 disposals the last time we played.

Noble with 24 was our 6th highest disposal winner. 5 tackles and 6 rebound 50's also.

I wonder if the little battler is still a sneaky chance given that performance.
If noble was to come in, it would most likely be this game as the GWS fwds he would line up on (Daniels and Bedford) don't have the same size or presence where noble has been found out in the past (aka port & melb games earlier in the year)

In saying this, I fully expect the only change to be Naicos for Adams while retaining ginnivan as sub for an extra dynamic to throw fwd if required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cut throat finals always a worry. Just look at Melbourne. Carlton didn't win it, rather Melbourne lost it. Having said that, we are fresh and they have been on for a long time, so all they have to be is a bit off, and we should win comfortably. We have been the best all year and l just get the feeling that Fly has been holding us back a bit, so we can be primed for the last 2 games.

Pies by 27 points.

I must say I quite like all the pundits jumping off us, I was never quite comfortable with all the praise.

One thing I think they’ve all forgotten is how good nick is, yes it’s been a while and their fish brains can’t remember back that far, but I can see him elevating our game to another level.
Same. I knew they'd spend all week talking about Carrrrrrrlton & Giants.

Lions must be loving it as I'm sure Fly & the boys are too.

And it's a welcome relief after the shit show that was last week with the 'smother' incident 🙄

Cut throat finals always a worry. Just look at Melbourne. Carlton didn't win it, rather Melbourne lost it. Having said that, we are fresh and they have been on for a long time, so all they have to be is a bit off, and we should win comfortably. We have been the best all year and l just get the feeling that Fly has been holding us back a bit, so we can be primed for the last 2 games.

Pies by 27 points.
We controlled the game tempo in the last quarter against Melbourne.
I thought we did it a bit early, though.
Time to engage the warp drive now.

I personally think IQ might get first look tbh.
Not sure its wise, according to this. Even though IQ has improved 1v1. But he does get a lot kicked on him.

GREENE TIME​

Collingwood's Toby Greene matchups since 2020
142 minutes:
Brayden Maynard (one goal)
59 minutes: Isaac Quaynor (five goals)
35 minutes: Nick Daicos (nil)
29 minutes: Jeremy Howe (one goal)
19 minutes: John Noble (nil)
16 minutes: Jack Crisp (two goals)
10 minutes: Nathan Murphy (nil)
3 minutes: Darcy Moore (nil)
1 minute: Pat Lipinski (nil)

Game sold out so expect 75,000 pies supporters at this game. Crowd will make a difference especially when GWS take a set shot on goal or momentum swings in our favor.

David King SEN this morning ...Giants playing similar style to us but playing it better than us ..." this is a disaster for Collingwood "...lol...my god he drops on and off ..I actually prefer him off us
If I gave a flying f*** what he thought, I’d watch his show. Why, if you don’t rate a commentator’s opinions, do you think we would be enlightened by you sharing them with us???

I like it when no one gives us a chance, we play best as the underdog than when we are favourites. Hope many others drop off us too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back