Preview Preliminary Final - Richmond vs Port Adelaide - Fri 16/10 7.50pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t see any changes, broad did well and gives us flexibility to throw Astbury and Balta in the ruck.
I hope we use Balta in the ruck rather than Astbury, he can be more than a side show like grigg, caddy, Astbury, broad etc but an actual weapon.
On the ground he can be another mid, every time ladhams goes in Balta goes in and than he follows him back down to the backline.

We have the strong bodies to match them in the middle and if we can neutralise that area of the ground we are well on the way to winning.

I think they will try and do what Brisbane did by not letting us have the loose in defence, can’t let this happen. Need to make sure either grimes or vlaustin are always deep.

Dusty spent a lot more time in the middle against the saints, I think that’s in preparation for port and think he’ll spend a bit of time in there. Need our bulls Cotch, Prestia, Graham dusty to match their bulls. Get a couple of goals from Bolton and Edwards again which makes up for dusty not spending as much time there although 1-2 from the great man will be like gold.

Jack needs to take his man away from Tom, if they can create one on ones we are in business.

Going to be very tough but think we learnt a lot from not only the rd 11 game but also the Brisbane loss.

We can and will win if we play the Richmond way.

Last edited:
Going to be a big ask. Interesting game.

Not sure if I'm going to feel nervous or not. Got to back in our experience.
I'm not nervous.

I was nervous against Brisbane because the c*nts just wouldn't shut up all week in the media and, based on our win streak, we were assumed favourites and all the pressure was on us. The streak had to end eventually and they had a very favourable night in the end.

I was nervous against the Saints because they are quick and were also in form, and we were coming off a loss which always instills a little doubt. The straight sets thing makes you feel nervous too.

But yeah not nervous at all this week, outside the normal jitters. Honestly, we have a huge mountain to climb here, best side of the past few years or not. No denying Port are now a good side although I do think possibly slightly overrated, just slightly.

But yeah, the momentum they currently have, their midfield being a strength and ours not being our biggest strength, their home crowd and possibly their umps... Won't be surprised by a loss and will be proud of us regardless.

If we lose, our window is still just as open as it was before, it's borderline mission impossible this week so it's a free swing (for the nerves at least).

Their captain just did a press conference and said they're the underdogs.

Imagine playing at home, having the week off, a full list to choose from, being top of the ladder all season and still not having the bollocks to embrace the favouritism tag? Weak.
Yeah pretty poor hey. That shows a bit of fear if you ask me.

Their captain just did a press conference and said they're the underdogs.

Imagine playing at home, having the week off, a full list to choose from, being top of the ladder all season and still not having the bollocks to embrace the favouritism tag? Weak.
oi take a second look at who they are playing

they are under dogs :)

I dont know if this is an oppo banned thread, if it is please do delete. I am very wary of your mob and the players that were missing earlier in the year - all absolute A graders (bar maybe graham). I love Dimma and have huge respect for Richmond especially what you have achieved the last 5 years. Clearly the benchmark of the AFL.

It will be tough and tight, and I think whilst Port's best this year is good enough to win, I feel like if Richmond can get close to squaring up clearance and contested possession numbers, I think you have more polish that could get you over the line. I pray i am wrong.

A good number of Port fans are by no means underestimating this Richmond outfit !

I dont know if this is an oppo banned thread, if it is please do delete. I am very wary of your mob and the players that were missing earlier in the year - all absolute A graders (bar maybe graham). I love Dimma and have huge respect for Richmond especially what you have achieved the last 5 years. Clearly the benchmark of the AFL.

It will be tough and tight, and I think whilst Port's best this year is good enough to win, I feel like if Richmond can get close to squaring up clearance and contested possession numbers, I think you have more polish that could get you over the line. I pray i am wrong.

A good number of Port fans are by no means underestimating this Richmond outfit !

Mate, unlike your mods, I got a 1pt infraction for posting our ins compared to yours in a non trollish post, our mods dont infract for footy talk between groups, so good post. They key ? from our prior game that feels me with confidence, outside of houli and Astbury, we had all but one of our entire midfield out when we played you guys and we managed to still keep it competitive. Now that's not a slight on your players coming in, more to the point having all players by 1 out of a specific part of the ground has a huge impact. Can you imagine you would win many games if Boak,Wines,SPP, and rocklfiff were all out at the same time ?

So i am really looking forward to the below match ups.

Nank on Lycett
Cotchin on Boak
Martin on Wines
Prestia on Rockliff
Edwards on Ebert
Graham on whoever plays mid
Astbury on Dixxon
Balta on Ladhams, ill even match him when he rucks to give Nank a chop out
Then we have houli on which ever small you have that loves to run up the ground.

Whoever wins this game will win the flag imo

Port playing mind games with themselves.

Best.
Yep, they know last time we played we pushed them hard...and we were on a 4 day break and we had half a dozen guns out.
This time they'll be thinking gee how hard are they going to come at us with nearly a full squad to pick from and place in the Gf is on the line!

Can’t see any changes, broad did well and gives us flexibility to throw Astbury and Balta in the ruck. I hope we use Balta in the ruck rather than Astbury, he can be more than a side show like grigg, caddy, Astbury, broad etc but an actual weapon. On the ground he can be another mid, every time ladhams goes in Balta goes in and than he follows him back down to the backline. We have the stronger bodies to match them in the middle and if we can neutralise that area of the ground we are well on the way to winning. I think they will try and do what Brisbane did by not letting us have the loose in defence, can’t let this happen. Need to make sure either grimes or vlaustin are always deep.
Dusty spent a lot more time in the middle against the saints, I think that’s in preparation for port and think he’ll spend a bit of time in there. Need our bulls Cotch, Prestia, Graham dusty to match their bulls. Get a couple of goals from Bolton and Edwards again which makes up for dusty not spending as much time there although 1-2 from the great man will be like gold.
Jack needs to take his manaway from Tom, if they can creat one on ones we are in business.
Going to be very tough but think we learnt a lot from not only the rd 11 game but also the Brisbane loss.
We can and will win if we play the Richmond way.
Spot on Jack and lynch need to separate , we must expose their lack of tall defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i posted over at your board and everyone was ok once they realised I wasn't talking sh$t.
If anyone was realistic about the game I'd say that no one can be confident of a win. we are all sh@t scared.

Just need to ensure our backs play in front at centre square situations. Port have an uncanny knack of getting first possession and then getting off a little tumbling punt that seems to land on the chest of one of their players 30-40 out
If we get close to break even around the stoppages I think our big boys up forward might just get hold of them and be in for a big night similar to the H&A against the lions

Mate, unlike your mods, I got a 1pt infraction for posting our ins compared to yours in a non trollish post, our mods dont infract for footy talk between groups, so good post. They key ? from our prior game that feels me with confidence, outside of houli and Astbury, we had all but one of our entire midfield out when we played you guys and we managed to still keep it competitive. Now that's not a slight on your players coming in, more to the point having all players by 1 out of a specific part of the ground has a huge impact. Can you imagine you would win many games if Boak,Wines,SPP, and rocklfiff were all out at the same time ?

So i am really looking forward to the below match ups.

Nank on Lycett
Cotchin on Boak
Martin on Wines
Prestia on Rockliff
Edwards on Ebert
Graham on whoever plays mid
Astbury on Dixxon
Balta on Ladhams, ill even match him when he rucks to give Nank a chop out
Then we have houli on which ever small you have that loves to run up the ground.

Whoever wins this game will win the flag imo
I hear ya mate. You guys had serious quality out in the game earlier in the year. I think Rozee and Burton were the key outs for us, and while both are very good players, they dont have the same impact as any of the ones you are bringing back.

In any event, i think the game earlier in the year is highly irrelevant. I think we are playing a better brand of footy now anyway. I also think you guys are beginning to show real glimpses of your best (which is better than anyone in the league -comfortably). The finals intensity will see the best players stand up. Its a contrast in styles. We are a high clearance/contest winning side who get a lot of ball inside 50. You guys are incredible at moving from D50 and surging the ball forward. So whilst people say midfield is key, i think if you can manage to break even on clearance and contest numbers, i think you will deprive us of locking ball inside 50 like we do and generally score from and you have a very dangerous forward line, so if you convert up forward we will be in all sorts.

I hear ya mate. You guys had serious quality out in the game earlier in the year. I think Rozee and Burton were the key outs for us, and while both are very good players, they dont have the same impact as any of the ones you are bringing back.

In any event, i think the game earlier in the year is highly irrelevant. I think we are playing a better brand of footy now anyway. I also think you guys are beginning to show real glimpses of your best (which is better than anyone in the league -comfortably). The finals intensity will see the best players stand up. Its a contrast in styles. We are a high clearance/contest winning side who get a lot of ball inside 50. You guys are incredible at moving from D50 and surging the ball forward. So whilst people say midfield is key, i think if you can manage to break even on clearance and contest numbers, i think you will deprive us of locking ball inside 50 like we do and generally score from and you have a very dangerous forward line, so if you convert up forward we will be in all sorts.

Should be a great game 2 teams with huge pressure and intensity to.How does the ruck setup work for you guys who does majority of the ruck.Ladhams has a bright future can push forward to.I don't agree Port a underdogs there favourites at home and on top all year so bit of pressure to perform.

Should be a great game 2 teams with huge pressure and intensity to.How does the ruck setup work for you guys who does majority of the ruck.Ladhams has a bright future can push forward to.I don't agree Port a underdogs there favourites at home and on top all year so bit of pressure to perform.
Lycett will do most of it. I think pretty similar to Nank in that they are big strong boys. Not as good as some others in getting around the ground.

A prelim final is a little bit different to a a qualifying final as you know that you're one win away from a Grand Final berth and we have the experience of having been there the last 3 years and knowing what to expect, whereas the Power are there for the first time in a long time and as such I reckon we could see Port implode this weekend. They have been top of the ladder all year, they're favourites for this game and their fans will be wound right up to bring the heat and make it a hostile environment for us, while Hinkley is also going to have the players wound up for a big performance. As we've seen before when you've been the hot team all year and you're almost expecting to be playing in the GF it can all turn to shit quite quickly, especially if the underdog, in this case us, gets a sniff early that they are a chance of pulling off an upset.

Last time we played them we were in the game until 3/4 time despite missing 1/3 of our best 22, and it was a brief patch in the last quarter that got them to 4 points. Last year we went there without the big 4 and came away with the win so we know that we're good enough to beat them even when we're not at our best, but this time around we'll be hitting Adelaide Oval at full strength with nobody under any sort of cloud injury or form wise.

As such I expect the Tigers to win by a comfortable 27 points and head into a 3rd Grand Final in 4 years and move one step closer to securing our dynasty.

Nice post, though I'm not sure we're peaking, we'd wanna play better than we did against the Lions and Saints. Thought we were good against the Saints but not great. We have at least another gear and I hope we find it this Friday.

EDIT: Just for example, we're fumbling a lot at the moment, guys taking a bit longer than normal to pick up the ball, and occasionally double-committing at picking it up too. We need to be quicker and cleaner, and increase our pressure a bit too.

I'm not being arrogant but our best is better than Port's, I'm just not sure we've found it yet.

I agree with that haven't been clean enough and skills a bit off to and usually there spot on.

EDIT: Just for example, we're fumbling a lot at the moment, guys taking a bit longer than normal to pick up the ball, and occasionally double-committing at picking it up too. We need to be quicker and cleaner, and increase our pressure a bit too.
grant thomas, is that you?

It's a funny game and the coaches have a huge decision to make that will decide IMO the win or defeat. What kept us in the game last time was our ability to absorb your inside 50's and use that as a launch pad to score which we did pretty well. Ken would know that and will he change a working formula that has shown to actually increase and oppo strength and just back in your defenders ? Or will he change the method of your inside 50's and try to make it more measured ?

Ditto Hardwick. Will he, even with our in's in the guts still focus on regaining first possession instead of just wanting to win clearance ala the saints game ? If both sides play at each other bests, its going to be a cracker. Normally I would say we would edge in front BUT factor in your home ground advantage, as well as being able to sleep in your own beds each night and not have to travel tilts that back to a real 50-50.

I just hope the umpires dont dictate the game and allow both sides to crack in. I will deadset vomit if we are again behind by double the oppo's free kick count while playing disciplined footy

Mate, unlike your mods, I got a 1pt infraction for posting our ins compared to yours in a non trollish post
I saw that post and what the actual f***? Pathetic from Port’s mods. Though I’d have this bloke banned for suggesting Jack isn’t an A-grader.

Graham that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back