Preview Preliminary Final - Richmond vs Port Adelaide - Fri 16/10 7.50pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who does Chol come in for? IMO Chol isn't up to it. Lynch & JR are enough tall targets. How on earth will Chol get any more dangerous than a small or a medium fwd? His overhead marking isn't great.
I believe that we lose with Chol playing.
Dimma said today he isnt coming in as a Lynch type replacement like last game, but a genuine second ruck allowing Nank more rest time "to be more dynamic" plus Dimma in his Friday presser said not just marking, but Chol bringing the ball to ground is also crucial to our setup.

It's odd how the selection (or non-selection) of Chol can both win or lose us this game.

If he can provide needed support in the ruck, then he can win us this game. If he does not, then this selection can lose us the game. Such an important decision to make and I do not envy the person that needs to make the final call.

Dimma said today he isnt coming in as a Lynch type replacement like last game, but a genuine second ruck allowing Nank more rest time "to be more dynamic" plus Dimma in his Friday presser said not just marking, but Chol bringing the ball to ground is also crucial to our setup.
Chol doesn't bring the ball to ground. He just gets outmarked.

Port are not a tall side (especially in defence) so I dont think we'll bring in another tall. We have a surplus of tall defenders now - our only concern is Dixon - I think Astbury will start on him (with Grimes/Vlas chopping out) - Broad or Balta on Marshall. Marshall has shoulder issues so may struggle with overhead marking so Broad would be more than adequate and Grimes playing 3rd tall. This leaves Balta free as second ruck - where I reckon he looked good last week and will provide a lot of run and aggression. Plus a great option up the line for the bail out kick

Yes Chol can provide support in the ruck we know that, but at what level.

We can't afford to have Chol in the ruck for long because he's does not provide a contest and we need Nank mostly rucking.

So either he is sitting on the bench and we are one rotation down or he is doing bugger all in the forward line most likely enabling his oppenent to double team lynch.

Surely Hardwick taking the piss.

At least Dixon isn't the most agile opponent to be playing on.

He's no Nick Reiwoldt, but you can bet they'll have him on his bike whenever Astbury has to take him.... It's gonna be a tough game for the Assberry!

He's no Nick Reiwoldt, but you can bet they'll have him on his bike whenever Astbury has to take him.... It's gonna be a tough game for the Assberry!
I reckon if he starts lumbering up the ground, Balta may follow him leaving Astbury on whoever the deepest tall defender is.

Saying that, I'll back Dave against him.

Who does Chol come in for? IMO Chol isn't up to it. Lynch & JR are enough tall targets. How on earth will Chol get any more dangerous than a small or a medium fwd? His overhead marking isn't great.
I believe that we lose with Chol playing.

That's where I stand as well. Just don't see enough upside with Chol. Not flexible enough to drop back either from time to time. Who is our next weakest link to go out?

A lot of people said that about two time premiership winger B Ellis ;)

But not you ol Baz! Held the company line! You play the GC Board as well? :D

The soldo injury and ccj suspension was massive in the context of this season.
Either would be a lock to play this week.

I reckon if he starts lumbering up the ground, Balta may follow him leaving Astbury on whoever the deepest tall defender is.

Saying that, I'll back Dave against him.
One on one Astbury will get eaten alive - he will need support from Grimes.

Ports main plan will revolve around isolating Dixon one on one which will mean dragging Grimes and Vlas away. It'll be important they both dont get sucked up the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chol rucked well enough last game he played. 9 hitouts to Nanks 11 with a lot less ruck time. His follow up at ground level is not bad, it is in the air that he is a lot less effective. I struggle to see who they will drop though, so would still be surprised if he plays. Nank hasn't been worn out this year, so reckon he could go alone with just a bit of help.

Ports main plan will revolve around isolating Dixon one on one which will mean dragging Grimes and Vlas away. It'll be important they both dont get sucked up the ground
That's why having Broad in the side is good. If Grimes' opponent goes up the ground Broad can follow him.

"The Tigers regretted not using him (Chol) as the second ruckman in their loss to the Lions but were able to get by using defender David Astbury in the back-up role against St Kilda after the Saints lost ruckman Paddy Ryder to a hamstring injury.

However, Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said they were "less likely than more likely" to use Astbury as second ruck against Port Adelaide with the coach suggesting centre clearances would be a crucial factor in determining the result.

"A lot of [the game] is going to be off the back of centre bounce," Hardwick said.

"We know the significance of centre bounce at Adelaide Oval. It's a relatively easy ground to defend so territorial battles are going to be important."

"Hardwick said Chol was developing well and he had great faith in his ability. Encouraged by his second half against the Lions after a below-par performance in the first half, Hardwick said he was confident Chol could perform as required with the Tigers thinking Nankervis would be more dynamic if given less game time

Really appreciate that mate, thank you.

Interesting that he’s discussed his regret about it in the Brisbane game but hasn’t expressed the same regret coming up against the Saints.

I personally think we’ll go in unchanged, it would be my preference to keep the team as is. Will certainly be very interesting to see what we decide to do.

imo we have a few things in our favour this week
-last time we played port they were primed, it's the best I have seen them play all year. they were on top of the ladder and set themselves to prove it, it was just another home and away for us. even though it's a prelim this week, and shouldn't really matter, we attack the teams after being beaten by them. we will hunt port on friday
- the last 2 weeks we have been really fumblely, so getting away from Queensland will be good for our bash and crash style and ball handling.
-lastly its not just the 7 ins this week, its the 7 outs as well, I remember the egg man had a shocker last time, Robbie and port's small's mightn't have it as easy this time around.
- the strength of our coaching staff, changing our scoring style last week, after Brisbane stopped us having any defensive 50 intercept marks. we now have a few ways to play. port won't dominate clearances this week. plus the way our backs spoiled long last week was interesting b/c port and bris both scored a lot with crumbling goals at the foot of the pack. we do learn from our loses.

it might be crazy but I'm more confident of a win on Friday than the last 2 finals, time will tell. it should be a fierce contest though. go tiges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back