Discussion Preliminary Final: St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Those forwards kicked plenty of goals though - even when their midfeild got smashed.
Riewoldt is a class above at the moment. Just wait what he does with 10x better supply than what Bradshaw and Brown got the other night.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Brisbane have two of the best key forwards going around and they lost by 51 points....

Forwards strive on the feed in from the midfield which in Brisbanes case were severely outmatched on the day. You would assume that all things considered equal the Saint midfield would at lats break even with the Dog midfield and thus generate more of an option for the key forwards than what Brisbane received. Added to that, the Saint defense being the standout of the competition this year against a forward structure devoid of the key targets.

You would have to say that the Doggies would need to win the midfield battle and maintain a high level of efficiency by foot to win the match, so it's sill viable that the forward structure of the Saints would prove to be too much with the amount of ball going in there as opposed to the infrequent arrival of what Brisbane dished up.

I'd like to think we'd win easily, with how we beat them earlier this year [x2], though I'm sure footscray won't lie down, itll be a good game.

Ooh just realised I've broken my hoodoo.

Before last night I'd been to 4 finals, and we'd lost them all (Sydney 05, Melb 06, Geelong and Hawks last year)

Was starting to think it's bad news if I go.

woot.

Should be able to get work off, flipping pumped.
last night or last week?

Not concerned about the bulldogs match... but concerned that Michael Gardiner has shown up as "assess" for hamstring on the injury list.

He was the key against Geelong in round 14... so we do need him to be A-OK.

Not concerned about the bulldogs match... but concerned that Michael Gardiner has shown up as "assess" for hamstring on the injury list.

He was the key against Geelong in round 14... so we do need him to be A-OK.

McEvoy could come in. If we work hard enough to make it thru then maybe Gardiner would be avail the following week....what ever round that is....

I think the Gardiner thing is St Kilda sending in our list from the Collingwood game, when Gardiner didn't play.

Assume you meant when he was doubtful?

Pretty hard to miss the big unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Everything that has gone in the past is exactly that. It is in the past and it counts for nothing on Friday night.” - Roo.

Nuf said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/spots-up-for-grabs-at-st-kilda/story-e6frf8w6-1225774869399

'ROSS Lyon says two places are up for grabs in St Kilda’s team for Friday night’s preliminary final against the Bulldogs.

While St Kilda has no injury concerns, Lyon said the Dogs’ pace might force a change to the side that beat Collingwood in the qualifying final.'

I'm guessing from his comment about pace that Dempster would have to be a good chance of coming in and possibly even someone like Geary, both would provide us with greater run and pace. Not sure that bodes well for someone like Max, although it appears he is still in the mix.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/spots-up-for-grabs-at-st-kilda/story-e6frf8w6-1225774869399

'ROSS Lyon says two places are up for grabs in St Kilda’s team for Friday night’s preliminary final against the Bulldogs.

While St Kilda has no injury concerns, Lyon said the Dogs’ pace might force a change to the side that beat Collingwood in the qualifying final.'

Interesting, I guess against the Dogs it would even be possible for Dempster to come in for Zac. Geary might be part of the equation as well.

Also great to see Warney providing the boys with some advice recently. Not sure he would be much help football wise but he'd be able to pass on some good advice about the mental approach needed to perform in big games and high pressure situations.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26081646-2722,00.html

CRICKET legend Shane Warne was renowned for producing his best bowling when Australia needed it most.
Now the leg spinner has shared some of his thoughts about performing under pressure with his beloved St Kilda as it tries to end its 43-year AFL premiership drought.
Jokingly calling himself "mentor Shane", Warne has revealed he spoke to some Saints players "pretty recently" about how to cope in the finals spotlight.
Warne is a life-long St Kilda fan and will be at the MCG this Friday night, when the Saints play the Western Bulldogs for a grand final berth.
"I've spoken to a few of the guys, they're in a good space at the moment, they're pretty relaxed about their game," Warne said.
"They know their game plan and their style of play, it's just a matter of execution and performing on the big stage.
"You don't get here by luck, so these guys know their roles, it's all about performing your role and execution on the day and forgetting about all the other things.
"It's also about enjoying that moment, enjoying that experience of a big crowd - this is it, if you lose, you're out."
Warne said it was critical that the Saints viewed this month as a massive opportunity, not something to fear.
"It's all about attitude and your mindset ... (thinking) 'today is my day" rather than 'I hope I play well'," he said.
"I've informally spoken to a few of the guys, but I think they know what they're doing."

Interesting, I guess against the Dogs it would even be possible for Dempster to come in for Zac. Geary might be part of the equation as well.

No. If Minson/Hudson play at FF Zac is required. If they dont, send him to Welsh (or Hahn).

read that as well IBTJ. I reckon that eade is just using a softly softly approach with these two.

Yeah could be
I think Minson hurt his toe last weekend so probably just a precaution

Cooney would be a big blow

I don't care about their ins and outs, couldn't give a rats.

Waiting in anticipation for our team in an hour or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Preliminary Final: St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back