A Section Premier 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotch V Carey, Carey
Xavs v Colls, Xavs
Carey v Colls, Carey
Xavs v Carey, Carey

Exactly......................The above is my prediction too!!!
Put my money on at Sportsbet pre season!

Old Scotch v Old Trinity Because they have too
Caulfield v STBM No way STBM would allow themselves to be relegated
Collegians v Old Carey Only lost by a point first time around. They still do the burgers???
Blues v Xavs Upset number 2 this week
De La V St Bernards Last week unusual.

The business end of the year, looking at the draw, Scotch have a favourable run home, and could quite easily snatch back fourth from Carey. However I dont think either time will go deep into Spetember action, Xavs and Collegians clearly too strong, the two best teams will be there on the last day. Collegians back to back for mine.

Many upsets will surely be evident in the last 4 rounds!

Old Scotch- too strong at home, with everything to play for. should come out on top
SBMT- Midfield too strong, finishing the year quite well
Collegians- At the trott, just might give Carey a bit of a reality check.
Xavs- Too classy
St Bernards- Wishful thinking, very dissapointing last week, struggling with injuries, had a good win over Dela earlier in the year.

Scotchies v Trinty
Caulfield v SBMT
Collegians v Old Carey
Blues v Xavs
DLS v Bernies

Time for recognition of Carey. The players that have played at higher levels (if on) will win you finals. Been there, done that.

Have 6 super players that you have to sit on (Yze, Yze, Howat, Rowe, Laidlaw, Peterson if qualified). Have the luxury of playing Howat off HB when they want and Rowe now on ball and interested.

Add in Rimmington who was their gun recruit, who is getting better and is a super tough player then what do you do with Smithwick, Freemantle and Murrie. Harris getting better in the ruck add a workmanlike backline.

Apart from the rukman situation I see a very similar side to the Old Haileybury 2006 team.

Scotchies v Trinty
Caulfield v SBMT
Collegians v Old Carey
Blues v Xavs
DLS v Bernies

Time for recognition of Carey. The players that have played at higher levels (if on) will win you finals. Been there, done that.

Have 6 super players that you have to sit on (Yze, Yze, Howat, Rowe, Laidlaw, Peterson if qualified). Have the luxury of playing Howat off HB when they want and Rowe now on ball and interested.

Add in Rimmington who was their gun recruit, who is getting better and is a super tough player then what do you do with Smithwick, Freemantle and Murrie. Harris getting better in the ruck add a workmanlike backline.

Apart from the rukman situation I see a very similar side to the Old Haileybury 2006 team.

Might want to worry about making finals first. Xavier and Collegians are teams who have "been there, done that" year after year and know how to win VAFA finals. How did the superstar players who have played at higher levels go against Collegians today? You will get recognition when you do something to deserve it in my opinion.

Might want to worry about making finals first. Xavier and Collegians are teams who have "been there, done that" year after year and know how to win VAFA finals. How did the superstar players who have played at higher levels go against Collegians today? You will get recognition when you do something to deserve it in my opinion.
Yep,
they would have to win their last three to make it now. It is well within their grasp with two at home, but with a desperate OT, and DLS and OS, whilst they could win all three, you would think the odds are against them. they may well rue their slow start.

At the same time , looking at their list who played yesterday Scud; Peterson, A Yze, and Laidlaw were missing as well as several others. This is the same of all teams, so no excuses for them, just saying they may want those three back if they want to make it. Interestingly i would rate Smithwick, Mcqueen Miscamble and Fremantle more important to them than a couple of the others AROD mentioned. If they are on, OC are a far more dangerous side

Yep,
they would have to win their last three to make it now. It is well within their grasp with two at home, but with a desperate OT, and DLS and OS, whilst they could win all three, you would think the odds are against them. they may well rue their slow start.

At the same time , looking at their list who played yesterday Scud; Peterson, A Yze, and Laidlaw were missing as well as several others. This is the same of all teams, so no excuses for them, just saying they may want those three back if they want to make it. Interestingly i would rate Smithwick, Mcqueen Miscamble and Fremantle more important to them than a couple of the others AROD mentioned. If they are on, OC are a far more dangerous side

Going to be an interesting 3 weeks. Panthers with Scotch home, Trinity away, De La at home l think the "where" they are playing is probably more a factor than "who". No game easy there but playing on good surfaces is definatley an advantage.
As mentioned there is plenty of talent in the Panther team but as with all Clubs it is a matter of having them on the park at the one time. Don't forget season ending injuries to Reid, Jones, Courtot and unavailable Laidlaw, Parker and Crozier

Is there an issue with Xavs in the mud.??? 29 to 19 scoreline against Carey at Elsternwick and a big loss to Blues at the Uni. Picked it too!!!!

Going to be an interesting 3 weeks. Panthers with Scotch home, Trinity away, De La at home l think the "where" they are playing is probably more a factor than "who". No game easy there but playing on good surfaces is definatley an advantage.
As mentioned there is plenty of talent in the Panther team but as with all Clubs it is a matter of having them on the park at the one time. Don't forget season ending injuries to Reid, Jones, Courtot and unavailable Laidlaw, Parker and Crozier
Is there an issue with Xavs in the mud.??? 29 to 19 scoreline against Carey at Elsternwick and a big loss to Blues at the Uni. Picked it too!!!!

Yes nice tipping there. Don’t think anyone else would have got that one however you also tipped St Bernards to beat De La, Trinity to beat Scotch and Carey to beat Collegians!

Would reckon most sides would be happy to have just 6 of their best 22 missing at this time of the year. I know St Bernard’s are on their knees at the moment because of injury and De La were missing Moore, Harrison, Shields, Semmel, Hale, Williams, Hine, Roberts, T Humphrey and maybe 1 or 2 others yesterday from their best team

Will get a few back in the coming weeks and will need them if we are going to challenge the top 2. Despite the odd hiccup Xavs and Collegians still a look class above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes nice tipping there. Don’t think anyone else would have got that one however you also tipped St Bernards to beat De La, Trinity to beat Scotch and Carey to beat Collegians!

Would reckon most sides would be happy to have just 6 of their best 22 missing at this time of the year. I know St Bernard’s are on their knees at the moment because of injury and De La were missing Moore, Harrison, Shields, Semmel, Hale, Williams, Hine, Roberts, T Humphrey and maybe 1 or 2 others yesterday from their best team

Will get a few back in the coming weeks and will need them if we are going to challenge the top 2. Despite the odd hiccup Xavs and Collegians still a look class above.

Didn' pick Bernies, picked De La so l got 3/5 but anyway upsets are the norm this time of year.
l guess we all have to ask the question as to why each team has so many out....... is it poor grounds, lack of rehab, lack of fitness or what??? Going back to the early 90's Old Carey we had had 9 ACL in a season including myself. These days there seem to be a lot of long term injuries to each Club......any clues why??

Didn' pick Bernies, picked De La so l got 3/5 but anyway upsets are the norm this time of year.
l guess we all have to ask the question as to why each team has so many out....... is it poor grounds, lack of rehab, lack of fitness or what??? Going back to the early 90's Old Carey we had had 9 ACL in a season including myself. These days there seem to be a lot of long term injuries to each Club......any clues why??

Heavy grounds are definitely a key contributor. Leads to a lot of over use injuries due to it being a lot tougher to run through the ground, also the more physical games that are caused by playing on pig pens. From the injuries I am aware of the majority are ankles, groins, hips that sort of thing. Uneven grounds that have 100% mud cover will lead to all these types of injuries.

What a cracking end to the year we have! Besides the occasional blip on the radar the top three have looked pretty solid and in particular Collegians of late. In my opinion Xavier have only just been doing enough to win and then couldn't handle the Heavy 10 at Uni on the weekend, if the weather continues in this fashion in 6 weeks times the conditions may not be that much better at sportscover! Here is just a quick rundown of my thoughts at this point;

Collegians ($1.85); With a few injuries they have been doing all the right things, two "should wins" to come followed by a round 18 date with Xavier. With top two essentially locked up for them I imagine a few cards would be kept in the pocket in that Round 18 match, there hopes in finals depends a lot on availability of a few key players.

Old Xaverians ($2.30); As i said above from the few games i have seen and just looking through results they have only just been doing enough, and it would appear that the heavy grounds are a bit of an issue, which is not something i would have previously said about them at all. They are still the team to beat when playing on top of their game and you know in a big final they know what to do. I still reckon Collegians have the edge at the minute and OX do have a tougher run home.

De La Salle ($4.60); Rooster's Boys are much like OX, just doing enough with the occasional blip on the radar. Huge challenges for them on the way home with Bedes, Xavs and Carey away who may need to win to make finals. With supposedly a lot of injuries i think they are a bigger threat than what people think, and at their best they can take it up to the top two, but the re-occuring theme on here of their injury list lengthening i wouldn't have thought they will get everyone on the park. If they do, lookout.

Old Scotch ($7.00); What a mixed bag; lost to St.Bedes, spank De La, Just beat Trinity at CSG. It would appear on their day they can take it up to the top three, they run hard and have a potent enough forward line. However i just can not see them, if they make it, being able to handle what the top three would throw at them. A full strength De La would toss them aside in a first final at sportscover. Having said that if they make it that 80-odd point win might just play with some heads and make something funny happen on the first Sunday.

Old Carey ($5.50); They are below Scotch in my assessment due to ladder position, but i think everyone knows they are a more scary thought to the top three than OS. There top 6 are excellent, next 8 are good players, but can get found out when these players are not playing well. They love the wide open expanses which they will get at sportscover if they can make it, and to make it they will have to beat their first week opponents in round 18 at home. They gave them a spanking last year out there and i can see them showing De La a thing or two again, but it may be too little too late at that point.

St Bedes / Mentone ($151.00); Wowee, i had them written off and a fair chance to go down to B Grade. What a revival! They are staying up, and even though they may not make finals, they are seemingly going to play a role in who does. I will be tipping them this week at Home, and they have really thrown a spanner in the works as most top 4-5 teams would have penciled it in as a win in the first half of the year, they will not be doing that now!

St Bernards (N/A); Injuries appear to have taken their toll, totally different team to what we saw earlier in the year. Good first year back up in A Grade, a couple of good recruits over the summer and they can definitely push for finals spots in the years to come.

Uni Blues (N/A); Disappointing year, club saving win last week over OX that pretty much ensures that they stay up. The rolling Zone that has choked teams for the last few years was just not as evident this year, teams that moved the ball well and with precision just blew them out of the water. But i suppose all you really need to do in the years you don't make finals is stay up in A. Bigger and better things for the Blues next year

Old Trinity (N/A); After years of holding onto their spot in A Grade, it looks as though it has finally come to an end. It is no certainty but they need to beat Uni and win another plus gain 2%. They do play caulfield in Round 18 so there is no way you can 100% rule them out. They have gotten out of spots like this in previous years so lets see if they have one more bit of fight in them, I don't think so. They will lose to Uni this week and their fate will be set in stone IMO.

Caulfield Grammarians (N/A); Just a disaster really, too young, not enough guns. O'Sullivan is a star but not many friends down there. Could go back and bully B Grade if they get players back but it is irrelevant, they wont be figuring in A Grade finals calculations for a long time.

Thats my take

:footy:

Nice work.
Xavs 1.75
Coll 1.85
DLS 4.70
Scotch 12.00
Carey 15.00
Yes Scuz, nice work indeed. I concur with your thoughts.
Just hope the VAFA or whoever is responsibility ( I fear the Council) get their skates on
and begin to crack into the ground at Elst. for the Finals. Sure we cant control the weather
but there is no excuse for the surface.

Yes Scuz, nice work indeed. I concur with your thoughts.
Just hope the VAFA or whoever is responsibility ( I fear the Council) get their skates on
and begin to crack into the ground at Elst. for the Finals. Sure we cant control the weather
but there is no excuse for the surface.

Agreed. Completely unacceptable, but last year it was similiar and pulled up pretty well for finals. I think they just need to move away from the Sunday games on it during the year. Play the Sunday games at the home grounds of the clubs if possible, takes away any bias for teams that dislike playing at sportscover as well as protecting the ground. I know it gives everyone a taste of it before finals, but if it is to the detriment of the spectacle at the end of the year and we are forced to endure an sub-standard surface it really is not worth it.

Agreed. Completely unacceptable, but last year it was similiar and pulled up pretty well for finals. I think they just need to move away from the Sunday games on it during the year. Play the Sunday games at the home grounds of the clubs if possible, takes away any bias for teams that dislike playing at sportscover as well as protecting the ground. I know it gives everyone a taste of it before finals, but if it is to the detriment of the spectacle at the end of the year and we are forced to endure an sub-standard surface it really is not worth it.
Scuz, spot on again. If they were to go down the road you suggest, and I wish they would, it begs the question, why do we need Elsternwick at all? Play finals, at Optus, Junction oval etc...

The sum up everything everyone says:

Collegians, Xavs, De La, Carey, Scotch - Have injuries but could beat anyone on their day. Same jargon every year from every team in every league.

Fantastic effort by uni on the weekend but there is nothing to read into it about xavs. Everyone knows that when finals start they hit their straps.

Carey and Scotch clash this weak is mouth watering. One of the most important games of the year.

Should have finals fixture either this week or next.
Most likely outcome Scotch to make finals.

Men will be sorted from the boys week 1 of finals

I also love the fact 1 vs 2 in the last round. Could be the grand final preview

Carey $41
Scuzidipan, great work!!!!
This weeks game Old Carey v Old Scotch should be a ripper. Ground should be in great nick too if no more rain and school footy has finished. Hope the Canteen orders a few more pies cause there could be a few there.
If Carey make the finals round 18 will be repeated in the first of finals with OC v De La and OX v Collegians.

St Bedes v De La Still a chance for 4th!!!!
Old Carey v Old Scotch Will be a cracker
Old Trinity v Blues This is as good as a final!
St. Bernards v Collegians Bernies in no mans land.
Old Xavs v Caulfield Don't lose 2 in a row

Still some upsets to come for sure.

GO PANTHERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back