A Section Premier 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavs/OT grand final for mine- the last round home & away game will be interesting depending on ladder pos.

Xavs big fire power up front they are clicking now, OT gun midfield with Iezzi, Hamilton & Scott back in fold.

Snowdogs cling on....

St Kevin's would be counting there blessings today after one of the worst umpiring decisions ever witnessed.

With a few minutes left on the clock and oms leading by a few points, a set shot by Strauss fell short of the line and was picked up by an Om. He was slung to the ground in a solid tackle and a ball up was called, from the ground he threw the ball skyward in obvious annoyance to the physicality of the tackle. The umpire deemed this worthy of a free kick to skobs in the goal square with only a few minutes left on the clock.
The resultant goal effectively gifted st Kevin's the 4 points.

Is this the worst call of the season??

You can view it in the 4th quarter at the 29:40 min mark.

http://www.vafa.com.au/vafa-tv/rd14-prem-st-kevins-vs-old-melburnians/

St Kevin's would be counting there blessings today after one of the worst umpiring decisions ever witnessed.

With a few minutes left on the clock and oms leading by a few points, a set shot by Strauss fell short of the line and was picked up by an Om. He was slung to the ground in a solid tackle and a ball up was called, from the ground he threw the ball skyward in obvious annoyance to the physicality of the tackle. The umpire deemed this worthy of a free kick to skobs in the goal square with only a few minutes left on the clock.
The resultant goal effectively gifted st Kevin's the 4 points.

Is this the worst call of the season??

You can view it in the 4th quarter at the 29:40 min mark.

http://www.vafa.com.au/vafa-tv/rd14-prem-st-kevins-vs-old-melburnians/
Just had a look - I reckon the free was there. Instead of "threw the ball skyward", it looks like he threw it at his opponent's head. That is a free every day of the week. Reckon it wouldn't have been out of the question to call the tackle high, but at that stage of the game, for a player to ping a ball at an opponent's head in the goal square? I think his teammates would not have been pleased with him.

Just had a look - I reckon the free was there. Instead of "threw the ball skyward", it looks like he threw it at his opponent's head. That is a free every day of the week. Reckon it wouldn't have been out of the question to call the tackle high, but at that stage of the game, for a player to ping a ball at an opponent's head in the goal square? I think his teammates would not have been pleased with him.

Technically you might be correct Sideswipe but for mine this was a horrendous decision taking into account he had just turned a blind eye to a blatant sling tackle. Just reeks of grand standing and "look at me" by the umpire

With a minute to go surely you just throw the ball up and let the players decide the result. Possible that SKOB might have kicked a goal anyway but if I were from OMs I would be filthy. Has essentially extinguised any finals hope they had.

Unfortunately that umpire has priors for this type of thing.

Last edited:
Perfectly summed up, he threw the ball at 27's head & got him flush. Free kick correct call, only people angry should be the OM's guy's teammates at him for his mistake.

Technically you might be correct Sideswipe but for mine this was a horrendous decision taking into account he had just turned a blind eye to a blatant sling tackle. Just reeks of grand standing and "look at me" by the umpire

With a minute to go surely you just throw the ball up and let the players decide the result. Possible that SKOB might have kicked a goal anyway but if I were from OMs I would be filthy. Has essentially extinguised any finals hope they had.

Unfortunately that umpire has priors for this type of thing.

Are you referring to the send-off at Scotch last year Jimmy? By far the most ridiculous and overzealous piece of umpiring I have ever seen.

You might expect that someone whose handle is “SKOB Football” would have that view but as an objective observer I have a different take on it. To me the sling tackle was more obvious and potentially dangerous than the player throwing the ball at the tackler. If you don’t pay the first one it is very harsh to pay the second.

However it is easy to sit back and analyse a decision made in a spit second. While (in my view) I think he got it wrong, players of both sides and the umpires would have made plenty of mistakes over the course of the game.

If that is the worst decision you have seen. Welcome to the Ammos. All support is welcomed. Bit lucky sure...but unfortunately for the OMs player the umpire (unlike myself to be honest) had full view of a player throwing a football directly into his opponents head. What else could he do? p.s. There is clearly no sling tackle. Taken to ground sure p.p.s. OMs are half a game off finals. I'm sure they'll be thinking they are still in the mix. They would fear no side.

From a SKOB standpoint it would still take 4 wins on the bounce to make it so the odds are a little daunting; still had we not won the last two it would be relegation talk. Finally I don't get to many games these days does Ash Morris always play? Look terrific on the weekend but don't recognise him from earlier on in the year.

Was at the game, huge call to make considering the position on ground and time of game, but that's irrelevant as technically the free is there - for anyone who thinks it's not you're essentially saying it's fine to throw the ball at opponents head when the ump calls for a ball up. I agree it's soft, but again if it's not paid then guys can get falconed by their opponents all day if you allow it.

The OM's player really only has himself to blame for reacting in such a way, the tackle was strong but fair. I'd be furious if a player on my team reacted that way at that stage of a game. I noticed from the terrace that the umps copped quite a spray from up close as they left the field too, from supporters and players.

Was at the game, huge call to make considering the position on ground and time of game, but that's irrelevant as technically the free is there - for anyone who thinks it's not you're essentially saying it's fine to throw the ball at opponents head when the ump calls for a ball up. I agree it's soft, but again if it's not paid then guys can get falconed by their opponents all day if you allow it.

The OM's player really only has himself to blame for reacting in such a way, the tackle was strong but fair. I'd be furious if a player on my team reacted that way at that stage of a game. I noticed from the terrace that the umps copped quite a spray from up close as they left the field too, from supporters and players.
Correct - umpys aren't the ones who should be mindful of where they are on the ground, the score or the time of the match. That is for the players.

Unfortunate way to decide a match, and yes, it is easy to knock a bloke in hindsight, but pinging a ball at an opponent's head in plain view of the umpire would usually see you dragged by your coach.

You get a 25 metre penalty if you don't throw the ball back to your opponent in a free kick situation, so anyone who thinks you can throw a waterlogged ball at an opposition player is kidding themselves. The fool that threw the ball should hang his head in shame, one of the dumbest things Ive seen on a footy field. As far as a sling tackle goes, you need to take your OM's coloured glasses off, thats as fair a tackle as you will see in a big boys football match.

Just a footnote, the OM's players and supporters again showed themselves to be the ordinary bunch they are renowned for by only Matt Thomas, another player and Nathan Brown coming to the aftermatch, even though we were happy to oblige when we lost against them in round two.

From a SKOB standpoint it would still take 4 wins on the bounce to make it so the odds are a little daunting; still had we not won the last two it would be relegation talk. Finally I don't get to many games these days does Ash Morris always play? Look terrific on the weekend but don't recognise him from earlier on in the year.
Its not daunting at all, we've beaten Uni Blacks twice, lost to Blues by a point and beaten Old Trinity so far this year. You should get to games more often, Ash Morris has been there most of the year.

You get a 25 metre penalty if you don't throw the ball back to your opponent in a free kick situation, so anyone who thinks you can throw a waterlogged ball at an opposition player is kidding themselves. The fool that threw the ball should hang his head in shame, one of the dumbest things Ive seen on a footy field.

Just a footnote, the OM's players and supporters again showed themselves to be the ordinary bunch they are renowned for by only Matt Thomas, another player and Nathan Brown coming to the aftermatch, even though we were happy to oblige when we lost against them in round two.
Nathan Brown is a good bloke, the rest of them can go and @@@@ themselves

Its not daunting at all, we've beaten Uni Blacks twice, lost to Blues by a point and beaten Old Trinity so far this year. You should get to games more often, Ash Morris has been there most of the year.

Love the confidence from a man in the know. Hard with the family these days mate. Grab a qrt. or half where I can to be honest. Going to be a great end to the year. All upside really. I was blind-sided and didnt see the free. Had to log onto BigFooty to see what it was about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The free kick was there, it was stupidity by the player and even more disappointing was the reaction of some OMs supporters after the game. A shame the umpires cop the flack for a players stupidity. If that same thing happens on the wing the free kick gets paid and no one complains.

I saw 2 games this weekend, both decided by less than a kick and both times the umpires were happy to pay free kicks that were there in front of goal, too often especially at AFL level umpires shy away from making a decision when the game is tight so props to the umpires in those situations. The 2nd game the player missed the shot and the siren went 20 seconds later!

Vafa confirmed today the tackle was dangerous and should have been paid a free kick to the OM's player. Secondly, if the oms boys are such bad blokes then why would such a good bloke like Nathan Brown have been coaching there for 5 years? BrianSpeaking

Vafa confirmed today the tackle was dangerous and should have been paid a free kick to the OM's player. Secondly, if the oms boys are such bad blokes then why would such a good bloke like Nathan Brown have been coaching there for 5 years? BrianSpeaking
I am sure that any OMs supporters reading this are kicking themselves at the missed opportunity to drink with someone like Brian

Free was there. But so was the tackle. Tough for OM's but stuff happens.
If same OM's players suddenly went to SKOB or Ormond next year then they would be great blokes.
Everyone's club is full of great blokes.

Just a had a look, the tackle was closer to being a free than the reaction. Did someone mention a water logged ball?? What a load of crap, talking about spreading the mayo on. If the umpire had a little feel for the game then the free wouldn't have been paid.
Not sure how this decided the game considering there was about 5 minutes of play left.
Would the free kick be paid in the AFL? Not on your life....but the VAFA umpires are trigger happy with these sort of things.

Free was there. But so was the tackle. Tough for OM's but stuff happens.
If same OM's players suddenly went to SKOB or Ormond next year then they would be great blokes.
Everyone's club is full of great blokes.
Nearly everybody. Not Kew

Nearly everybody. Not Kew

My point was that we all think players wearing our jumper are good blokes. Regardless of whether they are or aren't. Character, history, even any knowledge at all of them disappears when they pull it on.
I do wish I could give you some informed comments here re Kew but unfortunately I can't..

Suck it up, you lost, then showed by your actions afterwards what type of club you are.

Last edited:
I don't know about other people but I'm not comfortable with anonymous people discussing a real persons personal situation in a public forum.

He has a real family, including children who can read what is being written about their father, can we please show some form of common decency and end this topic? Jon is a really nice person with an outstanding record across several clubs and teams.

Edit: My post related to a since removed post of Briza's.

Last edited:
Good idea to remove your offensive rant Briza re TP of OMs. I've kept a copy. Got the idea now why players are supporting their team mates and not choosing to go into the SKOB rooms. Costing your club goodwill in the past and now $$$.

Tom Paule is a gun. Not the first time Briza has whacked him here.
Come on Briza, how can you post that dribble about JE sacking and then attack someone behind the cloak of Brianonimity??

Moving on from the poster who still can't get over the day no one turned up to his 9th birthday party, rounds 15 and 16 could be very interesting or very uninteresting. In what is quite a weird fixturing result, over the next two rounds, the current top 5 only play teams from the bottom 5. If it isn't already, the premiership might be a race in 5 come this Saturday night.

But then again, most likely that the only certainty over the next two weeks is that an upset or three will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back