Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine most will know this as Blues now have it up on their website, but along with Gilbee they also announced Nick Smith and David Gallagher as playing there next year.

http://www.uniblues.com/home.html

That is a massive recruiting coup for Uni Blues. Add that trio to Summers (is he staying?) Nash, Watts, Hayes, Prendergast and others and that makes them early flag favourites. Underachieved for the list they had in 2012. Add this quality and they are a very formidable team.

You would hope for Blues sake that the new players are reasonable blokes. Blues have been without doubt the most ordinary bunch of blokes in the VAFA for a few years now and leading the charge is the senior coach. Takes a long time to build a good reputation but only a short time to lose it.

That is a massive recruiting coup for Uni Blues. Add that trio to Summers (is he staying?) Nash, Watts, Hayes, Prendergast and others and that makes them early flag favourites. Underachieved for the list they had in 2012. Add this quality and they are a very formidable team.

You would hope for Blues sake that the new players are reasonable blokes. Blues have been without doubt the most ordinary bunch of blokes in the VAFA for a few years now and leading the charge is the senior coach. Takes a long time to build a good reputation but only a short time to lose it.

Hearing all the recruiting news/whispers, i'd say Carey probably flag favourites at this VERY early stage, depending completely on whether the Yze brothers play again.

As for Blues, i don't think anyone believes that Summers is staying. Prendergast is well and truly past his prime, but out of the trio that they have picked up, Gallagher and Smith are big recruits and should do very well. Unsure of how Gilbee will measure up.

Yet having said all that, you still have to remember that Xavs, Collegians and DLS will probably still be the top 3 teams to beat.

What are your reasons for this assessment?

What are your reasons for this assessment?

I probably should not have raised it here but since you asked - refers to recent seasons only and not a reflection on the club generally or those who have gone before him. To the contrary I reckon Blues have enjoyed a good reputation in the past but some of the current group have done them no favours.

The senior coach is an absolute disgrace the way he carries on. Just don’t understand how he gets away with his constant abuse of umpires and opposition players. Likewise his brother. Great player, one of the very best in the comp but has developed a reputation for weak acts, generally behind the play while players looking the other way. His constant bleating to umpires is pathetic. In fact as group they have developed a reputation for going late and high with cheap stuff but not being prepared to put their head over the footy or win the hard ball. A pattern of weak acts on the field and undisciplined acts by officials off it. This seems to be a fairly universal view amongst ‘A’ grade clubs at present and has been raised by others on this forum previously.

Hope they can turn it around.

I probably should not have raised it here but since you asked - refers to recent seasons only and not a reflection on the club generally or those who have gone before him. To the contrary I reckon Blues have enjoyed a good reputation in the past but some of the current group have done them no favours.

The senior coach is an absolute disgrace the way he carries on. Just don’t understand how he gets away with his constant abuse of umpires and opposition players. Likewise his brother. Great player, one of the very best in the comp but has developed a reputation for weak acts, generally behind the play while players looking the other way. His constant bleating to umpires is pathetic. In fact as group they have developed a reputation for going late and high with cheap stuff but not being prepared to put their head over the footy or win the hard ball. A pattern of weak acts on the field and undisciplined acts by officials off it. This seems to be a fairly universal view amongst ‘A’ grade clubs at present and has been raised by others on this forum previously.

Hope they can turn it around.

He wouldnt be the only coach in A Grade to yell at Umpires / opposition players. As for his brother, lets just say a little bit of "whiteline fever" and yes, he is no angel. Having said that, there are plenty of others running around with similiar traits.

He wouldnt be the only coach in A Grade to yell at Umpires / opposition players. As for his brother, lets just say a little bit of "whiteline fever" and yes, he is no angel. Having said that, there are plenty of others running around with similiar traits.

Maybe so but he is the only one to do it with such venom and regularity.

And not sure that what his brother does is white line fever. I reckon that describes an otherwise ‘normal’ bloke whose level of competiveness and courage lifts goes to another level when playing footy. Generally a hard nut that often recklessly puts themselves in harms way to win the footy. All clubs have them. At our club Shields and Humphrey are classic examples. Wacking blokes being play when they are not looking is not white line fever.

Anyway it takes all types. Maybe we just bring out the worst in the Watts brothers. Playing credentials of both is without question.

Anyway there must be some footy news. Recruits, retirements, comebacks? The mail is Carey is going all out to win a flag next year and is assembling an “all star” cast. On recruiting progress alone it’s a Carey V Uni Blues GF but for mine Collegians and Xavs are still the benchmark.

Maybe so but he is the only one to do it with such venom and regularity.

And not sure that what his brother does is white line fever. I reckon that describes an otherwise ‘normal’ bloke whose level of competiveness and courage lifts goes to another level when playing footy. Generally a hard nut that often recklessly puts themselves in harms way to win the footy. All clubs have them. At our club Shields and Humphrey are classic examples. Wacking blokes being play when they are not looking is not white line fever.

Anyway it takes all types. Maybe we just bring out the worst in the Watts brothers. Playing credentials of both is without question.

Anyway there must be some footy news. Recruits, retirements, comebacks? The mail is Carey is going all out to win a flag next year and is assembling an “all star” cast. On recruiting progress alone it’s a Carey V Uni Blues GF but for mine Collegians and Xavs are still the benchmark.

Would like to hear about some other clubs. All the talk here is about the Mighty Panthers and a little on the Blues. Surely other clubs have been recruiting too.

Having said that the Panthers have recruited well but there are some quality losses too. Bring on 2013

Would like to hear about some other clubs. All the talk here is about the Mighty Panthers and a little on the Blues. Surely other clubs have been recruiting too.

Having said that the Panthers have recruited well but there are some quality losses too. Bring on 2013

No bigger loss than Julian Rowe. Rumours are that he's giving the VFL a crack.

Still need to make the recruits buy in and like the place. Remember old melb 2011. Recruited 6 guns and still went down.

Rowe and Evans go. Crozier and Peterson back from the VFL and will play full time. That probably balances things out.
Most of the improvement will come from 4-5 unders ready to step up is my mail.

My Ladder:

DLS
Scotch
Xavier
Carey

Wesley
Blues
St. Bernard's
Blacks
St Bedes
Beauy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowe and Evans go. Crozier and Peterson back from the VFL and will play full time. That probably balances things out.
Most of the improvement will come from 4-5 unders ready to step up is my mail.

My Ladder:

DLS
Scotch
Xavier
Carey

Wesley
Blues
St. Bernard's
Blacks
St Bedes
Beauy

Nice to see someone stick there neck out this early. I'm not so brave just yet !

From all reports Carey have recruited very well and the improvement more likely to come from the VFL and EFL guns then the youngsters. In fact I doubt many of their graduating unders will get much of a look in.

Very big call on De La. A young list that will get better but they really need a bit of size to consistently mix it with the top 2. Have put together a solid team by building from within but lack a few big names. Xavs and Colls seem to get experienced quality players coming back from higher leagues that gives them an edge I reckon.

Believe it is steady as she goes at the Bell. Eddy will play in the VFL all year but not too many other loses and some very good unders coming through.

Top 6 – Wow really sticking your neck out there! We know about Bentick but who are these big signings at the Bernies? How about some names.
tim harvey and simon clarke both back to the pit after a couple of years away! the bernies have also added a few EDFL players and Bendigo players, and to my understanding there is more signings to come in the next few weeks.

tim harvey and simon clarke both back to the pit after a couple of years away! the bernies have also added a few EDFL players and Bendigo players, and to my understanding there is more signings to come in the next few weeks.

Sorry mate I’m not familiar with those names but I’m sure they are very well credentialed players. Maybe the VFL names might be a little more familiar. A good crop of 19s coming through so they want to be careful not to thumb their nose at the youngsters and the core of players that got them back in 'A' grade.

Sorry mate I’m not familiar with those names but I’m sure they are very well credentialed players. Maybe the VFL names might be a little more familiar. A good crop of 19s coming through so they want to be careful not to thumb their nose at the youngsters and the core of players that got them back in 'A' grade.
I have heard that they are into Brock McCauley, as are most district clubs, they have promised him a job but have yet to deliver. Until he gets one he is freely on the market to the highest bidder. Tim Harvey would be 33 but still okay you would think, they were spruiking Iaccabouchi but he will not play with them this year, either will Danny Byrne.
I have also heard Clarke is waiting for a job as a teacher before he signs on, this is all great speculation at this time of the year!
Down my way I am hearing St Bede's have lost a tonne of players again, with Sam Anstey coaching at Mordialloc pinching a few and Parkdale Vultures into all of the Beda's leaving school via Sam Radford...smart move by Radford. He has also taken a heap of their Under 19 guns.
I could add things about other local teams but none other than Beauy are in A. Speaking of them, they have recruited half of the Sandy reserves apparently.

Rest assured the boys from the snake pit will be much improved next season particularly with one of if not the most potent forward line in premier division. Not only will Merro still be one of the key forwards of the comp he’ll be greatly assisted by three genuine class forwards in Clarke, Harvey and Considine.

Simon Clarke is a star and dominated the BFL finals series last season helping Sunbury to win the flag with a 7 goal haul couple that with Tim Harvey’s return (a known VAFA dominate forward) however it’ll be interesting to see if they use Harvs back at times like he’s done in recent seasons in the EDFL to great effect for Strathmore.

Ben Considine from Oak Park is a young star that can swing through the midfield however is most dangerous as a permanent forward pocket/half forward.

This is in addition to the already handy inclusions of Bentick and Pratt.

I’ve got no doubt St. Bernard’s will play finals in 2013.

Not much to fear there IMO. Tim Harvey...funny. It ain't 2001.
I agree if you look at his past 2 years stats....nothing to get excited about!
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...192290229&client=1-3922-48435-202784-10423081

And here is Ben Considine....lol http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...192294795&client=1-3922-48420-202784-16719986

...and Simon Clarke is 31, their forward line will be the oldest in VAFA history, even older than ours (OH)! Not too much forward pressure being applied one wouldn't think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back