Premier B 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word on the street is that OH have signed Adam Schneider and Stephen Milne with their kids getting free schooling.

Bedders I assume you are just reporting what you have been told as surely a great VAFA man like you would not place any credibility on that rumuor whatsoever.

Those involved with old boys clubs will understand that in most cases the relationship between school and club is at best cordial and in some cases downright hostile! According to those at the club OHAFC and the college don’t enjoy a particuarly close great relationship, perhaps due to the multiple campus set up.

Just say that between Milne and Schneider they have 5 kids. Fees at about 20 k a year x 5 multiplied for each year they play. I am sure OH has sufficient contacts to land then some good jobs or provide other business opportunities. They perhaps even have the means to push them up the enrolment queue but to suggest that the school board would agree to forego 100k a year in fees so the football club can have a couple of 30 something ex AFL blokes who have no link whatsoever to the college play a season or maybe 2 in B ammos is absolutely fanciful.

28-29k per year. Before overseas obligatory trips, uniforms / blazer and other always increasing outgoings.
Agree, no school does this, despite what people think.

How on earth would you know?

A lot of intimate knowledge would be my main ally here. From both the school and the committees at clubs. It just doesn't happen. It's as fanciful as Rooster suggested. Hailebury College gift the old boys footy team a $1500 grant /sponsorship per year, which takes till about June to be honoured, along with many other connected old collegian clubs they support. They wouldn't throw 10 cents towards the education of Steve Milnes kids. Or any others.
Just because you have no idea of the workings between the APS schools the their associated old boys teams, doesn't mean I and others don't.

A lot of intimate knowledge would be my main ally here. From both the school and the committees at clubs. It just doesn't happen. It's as fanciful as Rooster suggested. Hailebury College gift the old boys footy team a $1500 grant /sponsorship per year, which takes till about June to be honoured, along with many other connected old collegian clubs they support. They wouldn't throw 10 cents towards the education of Steve Milnes kids. Or any others.
Just because you have no idea of the workings between the APS schools the their associated old boys teams, doesn't mean I and others don't.
There's no way you could know with any degree of certainty, as you've shown.

For the record, I was educated at a private school and still have associations with two old school teams.

To suggest you could have authoritative information about what transpires or has transpired within the myriad of old school sides makes you look foolish.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but don't suggest you know. You don't.

No. I know. And for anyone to suggest that any APS school would throw 5 cents towards the education of a kid who's parent wanted to run around in their old boys aligned footy team is quite funny.
My comments will not look foolish to anyone who knows how this works.
So I get that they seem foolish to you.

With due respect your comments are intuitive. You are perfectly entitled to them but don't pass them off as factual because they aren't.

I doubt there is anyone who could say in absolute terms that an old school club to which they belong and with which they have a close relationship has never offered some degree of tuition consideration to a player or coach let alone extend it to every old boys team in the comp over time. It's silly to put it that way.

There's a good book entitled "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Nobel Prize winner Daniel Kahneman that illustrates intuitive thought, amongst other things. Worth a read.

A former St Kilda CHF had the same deal when he played at OH, they coach at the school

One the great urban myths of VAFA footy. The same was said about Paul Corrigan when he played at OH however they overlooked the fact the did not have kids! Like most APS schools they have high profile figure associated with the 1st XVIII Football team and Haileybury was no exception. Scotch did the same with Lindsay Gilbee a few years back and plenty of other AFL players, past and present, have and are still involved in APS football. But the reason Lowe he went to OH was because his best mate (Mick Dwyer) was the coach and it provided opportunities for his building company through Langford-Jones homes.

I don’t have any great affection for OH but I do know some of the club powerbrokers very well. Maybe they were paying him under the table but the school was not providing free educating to his kids.

Seems to be case of putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 15.

I have heard that not only are Hail Coll wanting to pay 30k a year for 35 year old Milneys kid but they are also looking to start a Uni trust fund for him.
School council approved both these in lieu of upcoming junior school building works and some other now disbanded capital expenditure on school parking and grounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More news....If 36 year old Milney in 2016 can punch out a few games in the forward pocket, on top of the waves school fees and uni fund, council at the school is strongly considering re naming the famous Aikman Hall to the Milne Music Centre as an additional lure and then acknowledgement.

One the great urban myths of VAFA footy. The same was said about Paul Corrigan when he played at OH however they overlooked the fact the did not have kids! Like most APS schools they have high profile figure associated with the 1st XVIII Football team and Haileybury was no exception. Scotch did the same with Lindsay Gilbee a few years back and plenty of other AFL players, past and present, have and are still involved in APS football. But the reason Lowe he went to OH was because his best mate (Mick Dwyer) was the coach and it provided opportunities for his building company through Langford-Jones homes.

I don’t have any great affection for OH but I do know some of the club powerbrokers very well. Maybe they were paying him under the table but the school was not providing free educating to his kids.

Seems to be case of putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 15.

Generally love your work Rooster. But if you really believe an official or powerbroker from a competing club (any competing club) would disclose what may or may not be sensitive information to another competing club I have this bridge over the Sydney Harbour I'm letting go at a bargain price. PM me and we can quickly seal a deal.;)

Rather than 2 + 2 = 15 it might - repeat might - be that some can't even see the 2 + 2.

Generally love your work Rooster. But if you really believe an official or powerbroker from a competing club (any competing club) would disclose what may or may not be sensitive information to another competing club I have this bridge over the Sydney Harbour I'm letting go at a bargain price. PM me and we can quickly seal a deal.;)

Rather than 2 + 2 = 15 it might - repeat might - be that some can't even see the 2 + 2.

Even though I know the said powerbroker(s) very well I am sure they would not disclose any shady dealings so on that point we are in furious agreement.

I also know that there is not a snow flakes chance in hell that they could influence the school (which barely tolerates them) to forego school fees which, when you include multiple Loewe kids across multiple years would result in a donation of around 500K! It just aint gonna happen!

Not sure two opportunist goal sneaks are the answer - no matter how good they are (and S Milne is one of the greatest ever). A couple of good talls are required from what I have observed.

Even though I know the said powerbroker(s) very well I am sure they would not disclose any shady dealings so on that point we are in furious agreement.

I also know that there is not a snow flakes chance in hell that they could influence the school (which barely tolerates them) to forego school fees which, when you include multiple Loewe kids across multiple years would result in a donation of around 500K! It just aint gonna happen!
Your second para is where we part company Rooster. Intuitively you feel that but there's no way you could 'know' what transpires with all the old school sides and their schools. Any possible consideration doesn't necessarily mean full fees or be more than a year-to-year thing btw.

My impression is the closeness of the connection varies considerably.

Anyway, the discussion is becoming circular and I'm sure tedious to many, so back to the real footy.

What, does the truth hurt.

Not at all. I welcome any news based on fact and am not adverse to the odd rumour but if you are going to slander a club in this way and essentially accuse them of cheating there should be some substance bo support your comment. Linking it to an unproven rumour from over 10 years ago does not cut it in my opinion. Your analogy is flimsy at best and there has been enough said already to suggest that such a deal is fanciful and entirely unlikely.

I can just imagine the outcry if a similar unsubstantiated comment was posted about your beloved Ormond. And rightly so.

(btw I have no association or allegiance to OH)

Not at all. I welcome any news based on fact and am not adverse to the odd rumour but if you are going to slander a club in this way and essentially accuse them of cheating there should be some substance bo support your comment. Linking it to an unproven rumour from over 10 years ago does not cut it in my opinion. Your analogy is flimsy at best and there has been enough said already to suggest that such a deal is fanciful and entirely unlikely.

I can just imagine the outcry if a similar unsubstantiated comment was posted about your beloved Ormond. And rightly so.

(btw I have no association or allegiance to OH)
Tell me where I slandered the club !

Tell me where I slandered the club !

Seriously? You have accused them of cheating. Offering inducements such as free education is banned under VAFA rules. I am sure you already know that.

I’m taking AMs advice and not being so precious but still think it’s poor form to make this accusation on such flimsy evidence.

Ormond have done it before and Bedders knows that. Hence why he's pretty casual about it. It almost cost them big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back