Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought ROB wasn’t walking like an 80yo man today.

More like 85
The thing with ROB is that he's actually knock-kneed. I didn't notice it until I saw him at training up in Cairns a couple of seasons ago. I think at the time I reported he was unlikely to play because he could "barely walk". Turns out, that is how he walks!

Is that Berry in 11. Not sure whose wearing 36 but not macpherson

326360172_700239544909207_7213208215806389753_n.jpg
Dawson

Sure.. agree… theres nothing wrong with them at all..

But 190-193cm forwards that can also push into the midfield are even better..

All I’m saying is that I’d prefer it if at the end of 2024 we are discussing an exciting F/S prospect that isnt just a medium sized forward being available to us.. but a F/S prospect that is a very good forward and has spent the last two seasons before the draft successfully adding midfield strings to his bow..
Would that be trying to make him something that he's not though?

He gets enough ball for a forward, so he might be able to accumulate enough to be an OK mid. But his strength appears to be in the air and on the lead, which doesn't translate that well to the midfield imo (think Fog). Particularly if he could be a really good forward.

Rachele, Pedlar and to a lesser extent Rankine appear the better hybrid options. Maybe Dowling or Cook if looking for the taller options.

He is hoping Nicks wont recognize him when he is training with the midfield group
He grabbed a defender's number though... should have grabbed a midfielder's number...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think so, Not after signing Shiels
I reckon old mates Hugh Greenwood and Tommy Lynch might have been involved here, he was very close with Hugh and Harry Dear when they were with us.

Would that be trying to make him something that he's not though?

He gets enough ball for a forward, so he might be able to accumulate enough to be an OK mid. But his strength appears to be in the air and on the lead, which doesn't translate that well to the midfield imo (think Fog). Particularly if he could be a really good forward.

Rachele, Pedlar and to a lesser extent Rankine appear the better hybrid options. Maybe Dowling or Cook if looking for the taller options.
The lad is 16 years old..

Why box him into one position at such a young age?.

Fog is 195cm… all I’m saying is if Tyler can add some midfield strings to his bow then best to start helping him add them at a younger age.

If he doesnt grow any taller than the 189-190cm, which is a possibility, he aint gonna be a KPF..

Have a look at how many KPF’s there are in the comp these days under that 194/195cm..

They are all that height and over these days.. up to the 205cm guys like rory lobb..

Tex, fog, lobb, kennedy, riewoldt, cameron, lynch, balta, franklin, naughton, mcKay, king bros, TT, hawkins, wright… this list goes on.. all seen as the modern games typical KPF.. all over 194cm.
The days of a 186-192cm player like a Jason Dunstall being classed as a KPF are long gone..

Gollant is about as small as you’d want to class as a KPF IMO and he’s 192cm.. he makes up for it by (sometimes far too unrealistically) launching himself at packs trying to take screamers.. but like Mcadam who does the same at 183cm tall.. then you have your small/medium type forwards like fritch..

There would be nothing to lose and everything to gain from the lad trying to push into the midfield and seeing if his skills and power can develop there too..

Pop past today didn't look like much was going on, just the fwd group doing a little bit of goal kicking and group ball work.

Young kids playing on oval and fresh paint, I reckon internal trial game must be close. Does anyone else think it might be Friday?

Positive note Rachele was there doing everything with the fwd group.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pop past today didn't look like much was going on, just the fwd group doing a little bit of goal kicking and group ball work.

Young kids playing on oval and fresh paint, I reckon internal trial game must be close. Does anyone else think it might be Friday?

Positive note Rachele was there doing everything with the fwd group.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Friday might be a bit early for the internal trial you’d think..

It was going to be in mid feb last year.. but was cancelled due to covid issues..

Fog is 195cm… all I’m saying is if Tyler can add some midfield strings to his bow then best to start helping him add them at a younger age.

If he doesnt grow any taller than the 189-190cm, which is a possibility, he aint gonna be a KPF..

Have a look at how many KPF’s there are in the comp these days under that 194/195cm..

They are all that height and over these days.. up to the 205cm guys like rory lobb..

Tex, fog, lobb, kennedy, riewoldt, cameron, lynch, balta, franklin, naughton, mcKay, king bros, TT, hawkins, wright… this list goes on.. all seen as the modern games typical KPF.. all over 194cm.
The days of a 186-192cm player like a Jason Dunstall being classed as a KPF are long gone..

Gollant is about as small as you’d want to class as a KPF IMO and he’s 192cm.. he makes up for it by (sometimes far too unrealistically) launching himself at packs trying to take screamers.. but like Mcadam who does the same at 183cm tall.. then you have your small/medium type forwards like fritch..

There would be nothing to lose and everything to gain from the lad trying to push into the midfield and seeing if his skills and power can develop there too..
He's excelling as a forward, building this weapon is what will make him draftable. If you want extra strings, far more failed forwards make it as defenders than midfielders.

I'm not aware of any medium forwards who have morphed into gun midfielders, other than midfielders who start up forward. But it's not really my area of expertise, so happy to be corrected.

As for 188cm to 193cm forwards who are really good, how about Curnow, Stringer, Darling, Gunston, Rohan, Membry and Mihocek?

He's excelling as a forward, building this weapon is what will make him draftable. If you want extra strings, far more failed forwards make it as defenders than midfielders.

I'm not aware of any medium forwards who have morphed into gun midfielders, other than midfielders who start up forward. But it's not really my area of expertise, so happy to be corrected.

As for 188cm to 193cm forwards who are really good, how about Curnow, Stringer, Darling, Gunston, Rohan, Membry and Mihocek?
Meh..

Maybe I’m just putting my own slant on things..

I see the KPF’s and KPD’s as the big men.. the lads over 194/195cms

The guys like Curnow, Stringer, Darling, Gunston, Rohan, Membry, and Mihocek I see as medium forwards types.

And then you have your small forwards..

And clubs go for a mix…

Crows normally go
3 KPD’s (picked from Tex, Fog, TT and Himm)
1 medium type (mcadam or Gollant)
2 small forwards (picked last year from Murphy, Mchenry, Rowe)

With one of those smalls even being named on the bench or as sub..

Other clubs go with a mix of 2 KPFs/2 medium types/2 smalls..

And other similar variations of the same..

But ultimately this is getting off topic.. my original point was that there is surely nothing to lose from trying to see if a 16 year old talented 190cm future F/S can also be injected into the midfield in the next two years prior to his draft..

Whats to lose?..

Meh..

Maybe I’m just putting my own slant on things..

I see the KPF’s and KPD’s as the big men.. the lads over 194/195cms

The guys like Curnow, Stringer, Darling, Gunston, Rohan, Membry, and Mihocek I see as medium forwards types.

And then you have your small forwards..

And clubs go for a mix…

Crows normally go
3 KPD’s (picked from Tex, Fog, TT and Himm)
1 medium type (mcadam or Gollant)
2 small forwards (picked last year from Murphy, Mchenry, Rowe)

With one of those smalls even being named on the bench or as sub..

Other clubs go with a mix of 2 KPFs/2 medium types/2 smalls..

And other similar variations of the same..

But ultimately this is getting off topic.. my original point was that there is surely nothing to lose from trying to see if a 16 year old talented 190cm future F/S can also be injected into the midfield in the next two years prior to his draft..

Whats to lose?..
Medium term I see Fog and TT as our KPFs, Rachele and Rankine as the smalls (with at least some time on ball) and Tex and McAdam retired. Pedlar might still be there, but I'd prefer him on ball as i think he could be a gun mid.

We have about a 1000 mids. While we need a gun mid, Tyler isn't showing any indication that he could be that (though some of the actual mids are).

So I just don't see a need or a place for Tyler in the midfield. But I do think that there could be a spot for Tyler in the forward line, if he keeps developing as a forward.

The good thing about Tyler Welsh is he has elite top end speed , clocked at training recently as good as anyone in the SA U18 program

Needs a bit of work on his endurance but has time

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back