Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He said he had to get his head around the decision and that ability to focus on his own game is what “sold him on it”

So yes clearly wanted to stay on and was told they were changing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did he say anything like this though, "But I would love nothing more than to lead these boys and to play some solid footy again.". Simple reality is that Fyfe, and almost all other captains, are pushed from the job. But there's doubt. The only ones we know were definitely pushed from the role in the last decade or so are VB and Sloane. You might not see anything in this, and that's ok. But it hints at a cultural issue unique to our club. Whether it's a big issue or not is up for discussion, but what isn't, is whether it is an issue in some way. Our senior players do not put the future of the club ahead of themselves.

Great report kitm.
I can see Smith struggling to keep his spot in the team this year.
I think we have younger players that will go past him
I live in the area and ran into Smith at the good life gym few times over the Christmas break, guessing the club was closed. He's definitely been told to put some muscle on. His pace and kicking were his weapons his kicking has been off and let's hope he hasn't lost his pace.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I live in the area and ran into Smith at the good life gym few times over the Christmas break, guessing the club was closed. He's definitely been told to put some muscle on. His pace and kicking were his weapons his kicking has been off and let's hope he hasn't lost his pace.

Surely at this stage of his career we wouldn’t be telling players to put muscle on, that would have occurred by now.

What makes you think that?

Surely at this stage of his career we wouldn’t be telling players to put muscle on, that would have occurred by now.

More likely he's just thickened up a bit. Most footballers are just a bit more muscular later in their career. Interesting to see whether he still looks like that after all of the preseason work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, with the club making another good decision the eversalt brigade will have to waste energy on another thing to be salty about.
Most on this board wanted Dawson to be captain... including many who didn't think it would happen.

Yet the negative diatribe towards Sloane after stepping down & Doedee missing out on the captaincy continues.

I made it clear I was all for Dawson becoming captain & praise the club for making the right decision.

If they had continued with Sloane, then I would have been critical.

Some just love to whinge & some desperately trying to hold on to their negative narrative despite the club getting it right.

So with doedee potentially leaving after this year will hamish waste another first rounder on a defender.

You have sprouted off on this a number of times. There are plenty of first rounders and top ten defenders on lists. They are actually really important to have. I get that McAsey was a disaster for us but if he had turned out as expected we would be well on the way to finals. One of our biggest issues is we don’t have a classy key defender

But even in the last few years

DGB
Chapman
Gibcus
DeKonig
Ash
Young
Day
Cox
Reid
Jones L
Sinn
Aleer
Wilmot
Brown
Bussingler
Weddle
Michaellany
And of course McAsey

That’s 18 defenders, with 7 or 8 of them being key defenders.

We had great success with Talia, Lever (for a bit) and Davis (for less time) in terms of picks

Melbourne paid two firsts for Lever and also paid a top pick to get May from GC - and won a flag

If we do lose Doedee and it’s a late first every chance we do take defender

You have sprouted off on this a number of times. There are plenty of first rounders and top ten defenders on lists. They are actually really important to have. I get that McAsey was a disaster for us but if he had turned out as expected we would be well on the way to finals. One of our biggest issues is we don’t have a classy key defender

But even in the last few years

DGB
Chapman
Gibcus
DeKonig
Ash
Young
Day
Cox
Reid
Jones L
Sinn
Aleer
Wilmot
Brown
Bussingler
Weddle
Michaellany
And of course McAsey

That’s 18 defenders, with 7 or 8 of them being key defenders.

We had great success with Talia, Lever (for a bit) and Davis (for less time) in terms of picks

Melbourne paid two firsts for Lever and also paid a top pick to get May from GC - and won a flag

If we do lose Doedee and it’s a late first every chance we do take defender

We gotta pick a mid with our first pick.

I think there was a discussion a few weeks back about it being a work on.

Looking at everyone of our players in this preseason. They've all come back carrying a lot more muscle.

Smith has also put on "size" and has joked about not being able to in the past.

I would love for Smith to get back to his best.

I have Roo just shading Macca, but I certainly appreciate the alternate view. Both amazing footballers and there's definitely a gap to 3rd.
I'd like to nominate Modra as being in that discussion. As good as Roo and Macca were, I think people went to the football just to watch Modra. Freaky good player.

I'd like to nominate Modra as being in that discussion. As good as Roo and Macca were, I think people went to the football just to watch Modra. Freaky good player.

On talent alone, for sure, but he's the level beneath the other 2 due to only managing 160 games at the level.

I thought you meant he was training inside the grounds.
I’m guessing the cats use this often at training but seems pretty open to public.
Might have just been the closest oval to him
This oval is highly public and although adjacent to gmhba stadium, is part of "kardinia park". Open access for public. The cat's lease their stadium from the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, a subsidiary of either the state govt or local govt.

There might have been an agenda from Tom by using these photos but the location probably has zero to do with the Geelong football club.

That’s the thing, those who are jumping up and down that he stepped down, in that statement the Crows said he stepped down, not Rory.

“Someone else stepped up and ready to lead”
“100% I could still captain”, really Rory? At 33 and coming off a knee, is that the best for the club?
“Once a captain always a captain”

Nicks “but now is the right time to pass the baton on”

Throw in all previous comments from Sloane that he wanted to remain Captain and Sloane didn’t give this up with being told he wasn’t going to be captain.
Screenshot_20230211-204504_Samsung Internet.jpg
lol

Lol.

Have you ever heard a replaced captain say:

“I wanted to stay captain and I’m really pissed”

Look he may be telling the truth, but then again he may have really wanted to stay captain.

But to believe what clubs, coaches, management, players say about hot topics is pretty naive. They lie all the time, it’s PR to borrow a phrase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back