Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve no idea how we might go based on the match sim.

If the ball gets turned over, is it poor offensive play, or good defence?

At least there is a bit of a style of play, quick and up the middle if it is on, slow until we get to the back of the centre square or so if it isn’t, then try to get some speed on the ball or switch.

Feel like tall fwd separation was ok too.

I was watching the match sim and was very interested in a young peel player in purple backline . He's tall about 190 cm and he would be close to 90kgs . Brown hair. Nice mullet. He tackled Johnson in the back pocket . .the tackle was first class . Johnson not only couldn't brake the tackle he was taken down and forced over the boundary for a stoppage . Does anyone know the kids name .I believe he's a Colts player

Not the guy in the background in these pics? That's Sellwood like Snuff said. He's the only Peel player I can see in the pics matching your description.

Caleb-Serong-marks.jpg

Nat-Fyfe-and-Neil-Erasmus.jpg

Last edited:
Not the guy in the background in these pics? That's Sellwood like Snuff said. He's the only Peel player I can see in the pics matching your description.

Caleb-Serong-marks.jpg

That Kid was tackled by Voss near me and the “ thwack” sound of the bodies hitting was massive. The both of them then disappeared behind the light pole which blocked my view. I honestly thought that kid would have broken bones but to his credit he got up and ran back to position. Tough kid.

Emmett just on physical attributes is both taller and faster than Schultz which is exciting but obviously doesn't have the game experience Schultz does. These hard working small forward types do take extra time to develop so I'm happy to just give him Schultz's spot and let him play all 26 games to learn the position.
Did anybody else find it weird that he looked so ordinary at Peel, so disappointing in fact. Then comes into league side and totally blitzes it. That goal he kicked out of the air was brilliant, something from nothing. Then goes back to Peel for GF and is terrible. Appreciate he did have stress fractures but what is going on there? Obviously didn't stand out in the match sims this year either??

Did anybody else find it weird that he looked so ordinary at Peel, so disappointing in fact. Then comes into league side and totally blitzes it. That goal he kicked out of the air was brilliant, something from nothing. Then goes back to Peel for GF and is terrible. Appreciate he did have stress fractures but what is going on there? Obviously didn't stand out in the match sims this year either??
I've seen some sportspeople who haven't played notably well at non-elite level really step up when the standard around them becomes much higher. Seems to sharpen their reflexes and skills. Extra adrenalin and focus are part of it. Rising to the challenge?

That Kid was tackled by Voss near me and the “ thwack” sound of the bodies hitting was massive. The both of them then disappeared behind the light pole which blocked my view. I honestly thought that kid would have broken bones but to his credit he got up and ran back to position. Tough kid.
Yes that's him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez those club highlights are better. Looks vastly improved on previous weeks. Loved seeing young Odin Jones showing some forward craft early. Pretty keen to see him turn into a pack-busting beast.

Also, do yourself a favour and play, stop, rewind around the 3:07 minute mark. Cooper Simpson not only seems to have an amazing outside game, but it turns out he also wins the ball at the bottom of a pack and feeds it out to advantage I mean, who is this kid?!??? Looks a ****en good pick Wallsy. Kudos.

Caleb-Serong-marks.jpg

Likely was him, I'd be surprised if we had a colts player in the match sim

Not sure we have ever had an academy player partake (either AFL or NGA) when they are with the club as a 17 year old pre draftee + the AFL usually announces when academy kids are doing their week with the club

I don't mind it in match simulation, but can we not be sheep & leave a player on field after he has kicked a goal, please?
No player is taken off because they score a goal, a goal means there is a solid stop in play which gives players time to leave the field without leaving an opponent free.

The reason we see so many players go off after a goal is because you are busy watching the play all the other times they go off, if a club stopped rotating players during goal breaks then we would start to see open opposition players at either end of the ground a lot more often as those rotations would have to be made up in general play.

I've seen some sportspeople who haven't played notably well at non-elite level really step up when the standard around them becomes much higher. Seems to sharpen their reflexes and skills. Extra adrenalin and focus are part of it. Rising to the challenge?
I can't understand it, but this is definitely an occasional phenomenon. With Emmett, part of me wonders if it's due to being in AFL pathways as a teen. So has some idea of how things operate. Whereas WAFL plays differently so, inexplicably, he's potentially more at home with the fast-paced, systematic driven elements of AFL?

His hawks game was his best game all year in either league.

No player is taken off because they score a goal, a goal means there is a solid stop in play which gives players time to leave the field without leaving an opponent free.

The reason we see so many players go off after a goal is because you are busy watching the play all the other times they go off, if a club stopped rotating players during goal breaks then we would start to see open opposition players at either end of the ground a lot more often as those rotations would have to be made up in general play.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply & I do appreciate that a stop in play is needed for rotation to occur without compromising numbers on field, but there are certainly times where a player has just kicked a goal & he is the only one who sprints off.
I asked a multiple AFL club BnF winner who has coached VFL as well what it was all about & he said he had no idea. The bloke might have been a great player, but he certainly isn't the best bloke going around, so maybe he just didn't want to tell me.

I can't understand it, but this is definitely an occasional phenomenon. With Emmett, part of me wonders if it's due to being in AFL pathways as a teen. So has some idea of how things operate. Whereas WAFL plays differently so, inexplicably, he's potentially more at home with the fast-paced, systematic driven elements of AFL?

Agree, joy to watch.

I agree that Hawks game was his best game for the year across WAFL and AFL. There were some games where he played very well for Peel and was mentioned in the best players. There were some other games where he didn’t get much of the ball and where he was scrappy and some average ball use. He had some injuries and otherwise is a first year player in a new system. The fact that he stepped up a cog and did well at AFL level with better players around him bodes well.

I’ve only watched the first half of yesterday’s practice game but Emmett was very busy and involved a lot in the forward entries. For mine one of the better players on the ground. Used the ball very well which same couldn’t be said for some of his teammates.

Full Intraclub Match #2 - 16-02-2024

Enjoy.

Or Cry.

Whatevas driving those emotions.

Thank you greatly for doing this legend! It's very much appreciated

I must say, our social media team is elite at banter, but actually footy content is a massive disappointment.

It's 2024, live stream and relays should be provided. North have their game on their YouTube channel with commentary ffs. Collingwood have there's on YouTube too

Spare me the whole "giving our tactics away".

Last edited:
I was watching the match sim and was very interested in a young peel player in purple backline . He's tall about 190 cm and he would be close to 90kgs . Brown hair. Nice mullet. He tackled Johnson in the back pocket . .the tackle was first class . Johnson not only couldn't brake the tackle he was taken down and forced over the boundary for a stoppage . Does anyone know the kids name .I believe he's a Colts player
Could it have been Bo Allen? Not sure if he's still training with us but fits the description.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back